Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baltimore Inner Harbor Hotel Questions

I've changed my mine about the hotel.

Tell me anything you want about any of these because Priceline is dealing:

Frederick Holiday Inn Inner Harbor
Lord Baltimore Radisson Harbor
Renaissance Harborplace
Intercontinental Harbor Court

Especially this last one, as it says it is Inner Harbor but some posters said it was not- that you needed a water taxi to get to the other Inner Harbor hotels. Or I may have misunderstood, but it sounds like that, and the maps are not clear to me.

Thank you!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 12:52 PM
JJ5
Original Poster

Sorry to be a pest, but I know absolutely nothing about distances here and it is not far, but remember- we will not have a car.

Besides the ones above are any of these below (bottom list) too far from the Inner Harbor area or Camden Yards or too tricky for easy access to Camden Yards.

We are walkers but don't want to walk more than a mile from hotel to stadium.

I know they say they are such and such a distance, but for some reason they always smudge or it doesn't mention that you'll need to go across water.

So any of these - too dicey a walk thru or just plain not a good fit for Camden Yards?:
Hyatt Regency Baltimore
Marriott Baltimore Waterfront
Wyndham Inner Harbor
Sheraton
Marriott Inner Harbor
Brookshire Suites
Pier 5
Admiral Fell Inn
Holiday Inn Inner Harbor
Courtyard

If I don't get specific answers, I'll have to find some better maps. But any input is welcome.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:05 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
JJ5, you can go to google, choose maps and enter a location - or just get the city map. Then, you can search for businesses. If you enter the hotel name, you will see exactly where it is in relation to the starting point or you can enter the two addresses (of two hotels or other) and see how far apart they are. Some of the city maps even show you the street level view of the location.

Try it. It's magic.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:08 PM

The address for Oriole Park at Camden Yards is 333 W Camden St, Baltimore MD
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:10 PM

The Holiday Inn is 2 blocks away.
Click on the "satellite" view if you want to "see" it.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:14 PM

And the cool thing about Google Maps is you can actually just type in "Camden Yards" and many other name places, you don't even need the address.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:14 PM

The Radisson is about 2x further than the HI. .4 mi
The Renaissance is .6 mi away - at Harborplace
The Intercontinental is .7 mi away
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:32 PM
JJ5
Original Poster

Thanks, that's exactly what I'll do before I decide which direction to go in, but some of these reviews say certain walks are doable and others are not.

I'll probably go with the hotwire sure thing, because of differing information I'm getting about neighborhood access and renovations etc.

When I have time I'll google map as you suggest when I have it down to exact. I thought I had the Pier 5 but they don't have availability on the last night.

I would like to be right near there, maybe at the Marriott now. We'll see, I still have some time.

Thanks.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM

JJ5, it took me 6 minutes to do it for all 4 hotels in the OP and "see" the routes - AND post the information. You can even see the actual satellite view of the route.

Takes a lot less time that finding the info on a hotel webiste.

Didn't take much time at all, but okay.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM

The fastest way is to enter the address of Camden Yards and then search for hotels. When you do that, you see the locations of hotels nearby.

I also learned that the closest is the Hampton Inn. My clicking on the reviews for the Hampton I read that folks really liked it and that it is "across the street" from Camden Yards.

Google maps = magic.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:47 PM
JJ5
Original Poster

I'm doing something else too right now and don't have time at the computer at all. Will try it later.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:56 PM

Have stayed at the Wyndham Inner Harbor and it was great hotel and a great location. About a 5 block walk to the harbor itself. There is a Sheraton right on the waterfront....very pricey.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 06:26 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

That one is on my short list right now.

I'm using the google and others to context, not just the context to Camden but also to the water, using the Aquarium's address.

What I was doing was not just location logistics, but trying to see if all of the 4 star Priceline choices are also close to the water or have iffy walks to the water.
So it wasn't just a map thing.

They have just added the Intercontinental onto the 4 star Priceline possibles.

I'm pretty sure the great pick at hotwire IS the Wyndham.

Well, a hour or so of working at this will probably save me between three to four hundred dollars, minimum, so I'll work on it when I have time. And make my choice by Monday.

Thanks, everyone for the help.

I love experience rec posts like deedeezee's too. Because the more detail you have, the easier it is to guess on bids and bidding levels.

The only thing I'm dubious about is getting a great hotel but too far inland. And I don't think it can happen within the 4 star levels.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 06:58 AM

JJ5, these are the hotels I am familiar with that are in the Inner Harbor area and a walkable distance from Camden Yards. Some of the other ones may be fine, I'm just not familiar with them:

Renaissance Harborplace
Hyatt Regency
Sheraton Inner Harbor
Pier 5
Brookshire Suites

Any of these hotels would be fine.

A couple of hotels you mentioned are also fine hotels, but not really walkable from Camden Yards, imho. (Keep in mind that these hotels can be reached by taking the water taxi from the Inner Harbor, which is a fun trip - just watch the times of operation.):

Baltimore Marriott Waterfront
Admiral Fell Inn
Courtyard Marriott Inner Harbor

There's probably nothing wrong with the Wyndham, I'm just not crazy about the location, especially when you have so many other goods ones available.

I hope this helps.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 08:16 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Yes, that helps immensely.

If I bid on a 4 star Priceline, and win the bid, there IS a chance I would have to take the water taxi.

Well, sometimes I am a gambler. But it's a shame I couldn't get the Pier V direct, because it would have been perfect.

Thank you, Devonmcj.

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 08:51 AM

I just saw your other thread about this subject. If you are planning on going to a mid-week night game in April, the water taxi won't be running late enough to take you back to your hotel. I wouldn't worry about it, though. You can easily get a regular taxi if necessary. It would be worth it to save a bundle on a good hotel. Here's the water taxi 2007 schedule.

http://www.thewatertaxi.com/schedule.html
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 09:31 AM

One more thing I thought I'd mention - from what I read in your great report about your trip to DC, I think you would really like the Fells Point area of Baltimore (Admiral Fell Inn, Hendersons Wharf). Just don't plan on walking there from the Inner Habor.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:03 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

I did it. At lunchtime today.

After several 4 star failed bids and a couple of telephone calls, this is the scoop.

I got the Lord Baltimore Radisson.

And I saved more than the $300 to $400 estimate I thought I would, I saved more than $500 from the Pier 5, which I would have taken if they had the days I wanted. If I had taken this same place's AARP rack rate I still saved over $400.

I'm a happy clam. The reviews are much better than I had hoped. We have a 3 to 4 block walk to the waterfront and a 5 block walk to Camden Yards. Hotel guests go there all the time and say it is a piece of cake. It's not brand new but has good accessability to everything we want to see.

Someone on the bidding sites tries to get this one too because it includes a free breakfast buffet. If we get up early, maybe.

Thanks, all.

Devonmcj, yes, we ARE going to go to Fell's Point and we are not going to walk there from Inner Harbor. I would have taken that Henderson's Wharf hotel if this trip hadn't been mid-April and we didn't have to worry about water taxi schedules all the time. The reviews for that one are fabs all across.

Thank you, for all your area help.

I may post some threads closer to April about Mt. Vernon and some other details, so look for them. You are a fount of good info, and sure did help with my D.C. logistics. I still can't believe how much we did in 6 days. It might not have been possible to get into all those places and move like we did in summer.

Thanks, all.

Now I have to go post my result for others.

I got three days mid-April for $99 a day, one is a weekend day. Priceline