Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Monterey whale watching (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/monterey-whale-watching-1066031/)

huify Aug 2nd, 2015 08:54 AM

Monterey whale watching

Would you recommend whale watching in late Nov /early Dec at Monterey? Heard some mixed comments about the journey.

Anyone taken the trip with 7- and 9-year-olds?

janisj Aug 2nd, 2015 12:09 PM

>>Heard some mixed comments about the journey. <<

What 'mixed' comments? How is one to respond when we don't know who/what. Was is because they didn't see any animals? Or they got sea sick? Or it was too expensive? Or it rained? or????

Nov/Dec fine for Whale watching. Early Dec is about the 'cusp' between the two major whale seasons.

Humpbacks and Blue Whales can be seen through about mid-December.

Gray Whales from about mid-December to March.

And Dolphins - just about any time.

RioD Aug 2nd, 2015 12:14 PM

I'd recommend it. You will have gray whales, dolphins, last of the humpbacks, and possibly orcas. In late November 2013 about a dozen orcas put on quite a show. I have taken kids that age and they loved it. They will wear life jackets and you should bring saltines and a bottle of de-fizzed sprite in case they (or you) get queasy.

Check the websites and call some of the groups offering the tours and they can give you more info.
The ocean has been warming in the area and there's been unusual marine activity.

I wouldn't book until you know the weather. That time of year can be rainy and windy with high swells.

Patty Aug 2nd, 2015 04:28 PM

Gray whales are definitely a possibility. If I recall correctly last year we started seeing the first southbound grays before Thanksgiving around Monterey Bay. And there were some humpbacks that never left the area all winter. Orcas are transient here and can be seen at different times of the year but sightings are also rare so I'd consider yourself very lucky if you do see them. We saw some in April and they've been occasionally spotted in the past few weeks. You're likely to see dolphins, sea lions and otters too. There are whale watch boats that depart from Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey or Moss Landing harbor (about half an hour north). It can be windy and cold on the water. Mornings are generally calmer and afternoon trips tend to have a higher chance of weather cancellations.

garyt22 Aug 2nd, 2015 05:24 PM

I Highly recommend www.montereybaywhalewatch.com

We took our kids a few years back... The tours are led by marine biologists who seem to know exactly where to go... We saw dozens of breaches, Dolphins, seals, and even had some whales back scratch on our boat...

Have a look at the website...

NewbE Aug 2nd, 2015 07:43 PM

SO and I enjoyed the whale watching trip we took a few years ago--sorry, I don't know the company--but the swells were high, the sea was rough, and at one point it seemed like the two of us were the only ones not upchucking all over the place. We saw dolphins and humpbacks galore.