Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Monterey oor Carmel Lodging (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/monterey-oor-carmel-lodging-272126/)

Jenny Nov 10th, 2002 06:03 AM

Monterey oor Carmel Lodging

I will be spending a weekend in Late Appril in the area. Does anyone have any information or experience with the Highlands Inn or the Carmel Bay View Inn, both in Carmel, or the Monterey Bay Inn or Monterey Plaza Hotel?

Patrick Nov 10th, 2002 06:43 AM

Jenny, this is getting almost funny. I've been following a number of recent posts about Carmel since I'll be there next summer. There have been quite a few posts recently asking your exact same question comparing the Highlands Inn with the Carmel Bay View Inn. I've been wondering why so many people have already narrowed down their choices to those two specific places. <BR><BR>Type Highlands Inn in the search blank and you'll find a bunch of these posts -- some with great details about renovations and specifics.

Bob Nov 10th, 2002 10:23 AM

Go to www.pacificgrove.org and discover the third real city on the Monterey Peninsula.....&quot;America's Last Hometown&quot; and location of some great Bed and Breakfast hotels with views of Monterey Bay. GREEN GABLE INN or SEVEN GABLE INN are both great spots to stay and then go to the tourist mecca of Ocean in downtown Carmel.

Juli Nov 10th, 2002 01:24 PM

In October 2001, we stayed at Tickle Pink Inn which is across from Highland Inn. It was fabulous! The rates were better and it's so quaint. Views were spectacular. Check out their website. If you drive as far south at Big Sur, a must is either lunch, a drink or dinner at Sierra Mar at the Post Ranch Inn. Check out their website, too...incredible!

dg Nov 10th, 2002 03:56 PM

Patrick - I've been watching the NoCal posts for the last couple of months... am also planning a trip to this area next summer. If you come upon any really interesting w-sites for SF, wine country, etc. PLEASE share... much obliged!

Jenny Nov 10th, 2002 04:54 PM

Patrick, I too have been following the Carmel post, and the list that I came up with was what the places that I had questions about. I wasn't looking for a comparison, just information. The posts that I have read on the Highlands Inn seem too be very mixed, people either loved it or were really disappointed in it. The Carmel Bay View Inn is, I believe, a Best Western. It seemmms that almost everything that I have found on this is posted by the same man almost word for word. The two hotels in Monterey seem to be thought of as two of the best there by this and other travel sites. I had already also checked out the Tickle Pink Inn, which seemed simular to the Highlands Inn and with pretty much the same location. But It seems to get better opinions than the Highlands Inn, but I found a much better rate there. I have also looked at some of the better places in Pacific Grove, but they seem to be mostly B&amp;Bs, and I would prefer a hotel. I haven't really narrowed it down to just these four, but being this close to the ocean, I would really like to have a balcony with a view (which is one reason I don't want a B&amp;B), and it seems to limit you a lot in this area. If you can recommend any other places that I might have overlooked, please let me know.

L Nov 10th, 2002 05:46 PM

Based on your above post, I think you would like the Plaza Hotel best in Monterey. It is plush, on the ocean with balconies, near the Aquarium and restaraunts. I take my mom there for breakfast at the Duck Club sometimes. It is easy to get to Carmel or Pacific Grove via bus from there.

David Nov 11th, 2002 08:05 AM

Jenny,<BR><BR>I am the one with the identical postings about the Carmel Bay View Inn. The reason for this is simple: every time I see a question about it, I wait for someone else to respond and, when they don't, I simply cut and paste my previous response. I figure that the same old response is better than no response at all.<BR><BR>I'll attempt to present a little different info this time. We have stayed at the BVI three times (and, yes, it is a Best Western). As I’m sure you’re aware, Best Westerns can be either good or bad: in this case it’s a good one. Nestled in the low hills at the back of Carmel the BVI is basically a glorified motel but with much nicer rooms and a continental breakfast. The rooms are good-sized and many feature fireplaces and balconies with views of Point Lobos and the ocean. California king-sized, pillow-top beds with down comforters and a continental breakfast are two more amenities that make this Inn attractive. <BR><BR>Another reason we like to stay at the BVI is the location. When we travel to that area we spend much time wandering around Carmel and, therefore, prefer to stay right in town. We love the Tickle Pink Inn but, at certain times of the year just don’t wish to battle the traffic into town from there or the HI. Needless to say, because of the traffic you can often end up extending your drive into Monterey by about 30 – 45 minutes from either one of those properties (it can also take you awhile to travel the short distance into Carmel). Both the TPI and the HI are closer to the ocean (still across the street, though) and will obviously offer you better views from certain rooms. The HI also has a wonderful terrace restaurant offering great views of the ocean (we eat there every time we visit). <BR><BR>All in all, if you want a full-service hotel I would suggest the HI. If you want a unique experience then stay at the TPI. If, however, you plan on spending a lot of time in Carmel and wish to be close to shopping, restaurants, etc., then I would opt for the BVI (you don’t have to deal with parking in town if you stay IN town).<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR><BR>Davidcs<BR>

Jenny Nov 11th, 2002 01:44 PM

Thanks David, great post. Just the kind of information that I was looking for. I didn't mean to sound critical about the identical post, if you took it that way. I was just trying to explain that when people tell you to do a search, that although there may be a lot of post that a lot of times it can be the same information. So thanks for taking the time to explain and even giving additional help. I really appreciate it.

David Nov 11th, 2002 02:45 PM

Jenny,<BR><BR>You are more than welcome. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try my best to answer them.<BR><BR>BTW, I didn't take it personally at all.<BR><BR>Davidcs

jen Nov 11th, 2002 04:42 PM

I just came back from Monterey and SF. When I was in Monterey, we stayed at the Monterey Bay Inn. Althought the Plaza hotel is quite elegant, the Monterey Bay Inn was great with service, the room we had was huge, with a bay view, fireplace, balcony etc. Great deal and easy walking distance to the Aquarium and shops. Carmel was wonderful, a great restaurant to go for lunch is The Grill in Carmel. Enjoy.

S Nov 11th, 2002 09:45 PM

Bernadus Lodge is quiet, remote, new and lovely and during the week is more reasonable than on the weekends. The rooms are beautiful and exremely comfortable. Monterey Plaza hotel is good.

Bob Nov 12th, 2002 01:43 PM

I live in this area. If you do not want Bed and Breakfast places the Monterey Plaza ocean view will have what you want. The above poster was correct on this hotel.

Bob Nov 17th, 2002 12:51 PM

Me again. You should be on the Peninsula today. Bright sun, 65 degrees, surf is up and a magnificent day! Gotta love living here!