Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Monterey Bay Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/monterey-bay-hotels-82911/)

Steve Aug 14th, 2000 06:24 PM

Monterey Bay Hotels

I'm in the process of planning a trip to the Monterey Bay and Carmel area for a few days. Any suggestions or advice on finding a hotel for a couple nights. I would like something nice and comfortable with some nice ammenities. I'm willing to spend $100 or $200 range(within reason) Any imput on locations to avoid or pefer? I was briefly looking at the Hyatt, how is that hotel? Any suggestions anyone has would be of great help. Thank you eveyone.

Ron Aug 15th, 2000 05:22 AM

Hi Steve, <BR> <BR>Well, you don't mention when you're heading out there or what you prefer but since you said Monterey Bay and Carmel, how about something in between. Hometown, USA - Pacific Grove. It's a good location, quiet and positioned well for activity in both locations. Good restaurants are all around, you're close to Cannery Row, downtown Monterey on the north side and Pebble Beach and Carmel on the south side. <BR> <BR>Not being a 'hotel' person I would recommend a very nice motel called The Rosedale Inn near Asilomar Conference Center. It is quiet, easy to get into and out of with little traffic. The price range is about what you listed. There is also the Lighthouse Lodge and Suites. These may be a bit higher but they are both listed in the AAA Tour Guide and if you need anything further just drop a line. I do have a compiled listing of B&B's that I made up in Nov.,'99 on an MS Word Document and if you think it would help, let me know and I'll send it to you. <BR> <BR>First Awakenings in the American Tin Cannery Outlet is a GREAT place for breakfast or brunch as is Toasties on Lighthouse. <BR> <BR>Have a fine trip, <BR>Ron

Pat Aug 15th, 2000 05:48 AM

We spent a weekday night in the Hyatt Regency in Monterey during July. It was a family vacation 2 s 2 kids. I chose the Hyatt because it seemed to have a lot of amenities- pools, gameroom etc. Unfortunately, we got in late and didn't even look at the pool, etc. But overall the hotel didn't strike me as anything special. It's right by the highway and kind of out of the way. The rooms were nice but nothing luxorious. It is a conference center so there were a lot of business types around. That is obviously the market they cater to. The pools may be nice but the place is really big so they may be very far from your room. <BR>I wish we had chosen something in Pacific Grove. It's much more scenic. <BR>The Asilomar Beach area is nice. I also loved the location of Borgs Motel but I think it is on the more basic side. There seem to be some really nice B&Bs in Pacific Grove along the Ocean Drive. Good Luck!

Pat Aug 15th, 2000 05:51 AM

Oops- that should be 2 s not 2 s.

gail Aug 15th, 2000 07:21 AM

Due to a last minute scheduling change I had to book a room at the Monarch Cove Inn last spring. There are several types of rooms (and rates) there, but we were fortunate to be put in a little house that had a deck, sunroom and private hot tub under the euculyptis. the resort overlooks the ocean (some rooms more than others).Wish we had been there a liitle longer. <BR>

lisa Aug 15th, 2000 08:02 AM

I too would recommend Pacific Grove over Monterey. It's only a stone's throw away and is (in my opinion) more scenic and less touristy, plus prices there tend to be much more reasonable.

kal Aug 15th, 2000 09:34 AM

Steve, Agree w/ prior posters regarding Pac/Grove. <BR> <BR>However, if you are looking for a hotel closer to downtown, I'd suggest the Marriott or the Doubletree. <BR>We usually stay at the Marriott. 1-2 block walking distance to the Wharf, restaurants, shopping. <BR> <BR>If you're in shape, it's right near the biking/jogging/roller blading path that takes you all the way over to the Cannery Row/Aquarium/Pac Grove. <BR> <BR>If you have a rental car, getting to any of those places should be no prob. <BR> <BR>Both hotels have specials throughout the year. <BR> <BR>The Hyatt was a little too far out from the wharf/attractions for our needs. <BR> <BR>Good luck...It's beautiful there. <BR>Kal

Caitlin Aug 15th, 2000 10:02 AM

It's at the upper end of your budget, but if you want to be in Monterey and walking distance from the wharf, etc. and in a quieter area and refined atmosphere, I recommend the Hotel Pacific. Not sure what amenities you're looking for, but...no pool, parking included, all rooms are mini-suite w/ seating and dining area, fireplaces, and featherbeds, there's a pretty courtyard and really nice continental breakfast plus afternoon tea in the lobby are included. Very comfortable, quiet, Spanish-style building, perfect for a couple. website: www.hotelpacific.com

kam Aug 15th, 2000 11:41 AM

In Monterey I would recommend the little Otter Inn--walking distance to the Aquarium and Fisherman's Wharf and includes covered parking which is at a premium in Monterey. In Pacific Grove, The Pacific Grove Inn is a Historic B&B which might fall into your general price range. In Carmel, the Pine Inn, the Carmel Village Inn--lots in the &lt;$200 range. Many hotels in this area require a two night minimum stay on weekends. Pine Inn and Village Inn are exceptions to this.