Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Monterey Bay Aquarium - Best Time of the Day to Go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

We are planning to spend one night in Monterey and want to squeeze in the Aquarium, 17 mile drive and walk around Carmel, all in one day. I know, the time we are allowing doesn't do the area justice, but I have no choice. What is the best time of the day to go to the Aqaurium (least crowded, best chances for parking) so as to allow us time for the other activities? We are going on a Thursday. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:28 PM

Be there when it opens or a couple of hours before closing.
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:41 PM

Time wise it is very possible. Will you be in Monterey the night before or after the Aquarium? Will you be heading north or south from there?

What month will you be visiting the Aquarium? The only thing to keep in mind is the school groups that will be visiting during the week if it is school time.

You really can do this in any order as it is essentially a loop type trip. If you get up early you can do the drive first and then visit Carmel and then come back to the Aquarium after lunch for 3-4 hours, then have dinner somewhere on Cannery Row.

We have always found parking with no problem at the Aquarium regardless of the time of day and since it is a Thursday it should be fine. It really just depends where your one night is situated in the plan.
Old May 15th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

We will be there late this month, right before the Memorial Day weekend.

The plan is to leave SF early Thursday morning. I was thinking the same "loop" as you are, Michele_D - SF to the 17 Mile Drive, on to Carmel and finally the aquarium. I am just worried that we may run out of time at the aquarium.

We plan to stay in Seaside for the night then go to Felton for the train ride the next morning.

I have never been to Carmel without staying at one of the inns there - how is street parking? Is there public parking lots there?

Thanks!
Old May 15th, 2011, 06:29 PM

Don't miss the special seahorses and jellyfish exhibits!
Old May 15th, 2011, 07:18 PM

Hi firsttimethere ,
The only traffic you will encounter (and you will!) is leaving SF. It will take you a couple hours at best to get down to the 17 mile drive. The drive itself will take about 45-60 minutes depending on how often you stop. I have never been to Carmel but I would imagine on a Thursday it should be no problem with parking. The drive from Carmel to the Aquarium is probably 20 minutes tops. Another 15 to Seaside for the night.

So...if you leave SF at say 7 am
Arrive 17 mile drive 10 am
17 Mile drive 10-11 am
Carmel 11-1:30 pm
Drive to Aquarium
Aquarium 2-6
Dinner on Cannery Row
Drive to Seaside 15 minutes at most

That gives you an idea of how the time will go. The only thing is if you run into horrendous traffic in SF. It's doable, as long as you keep track of the time now and then.

Take care,
Michele
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:44 AM

If you leave SF at 7 a.m., you will hit traffic both leaving San Francisco, and in the San Jose area, but it still probably won't take more than the 3 hours Michele has allotted.