Monterey area b&b's

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monterey area b&b's

Trying to pick a place for a night [midweek in March] in Monterey area. Not sure about exact location we want -- Monterey; Carmel-by-the-Sea or Pacific Grove. Input appreciated on these areas.

Thinking about these as possibilites:

Gosby House Inn, Pacific Grove:
Cobblestone Inn, Carmel
Inn at 213 Seventeen Mile Drive, Pacific Grove

[We like 4 -5 star places, good breakfasts, Ocean views would be nice]

Thanks in advance,
Deb
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 03:55 PM

In PG for ocean views, you need to stay at Seven Gables, Grand View, Green Gables or Martine Inns.

In Carmel, the Colonial Terrace Inn has ocean views and is less than a block from the beach. Tickle Pink, in the Highlands has the same feeling but you can't walk to town...it's remote.

In Monterey, it's the hotels on Cannery Row.

In Pebble Beach, it's Casa Palmero.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 04:18 PM

My wife and I stayed at the Cobblestone Inn a few years back. It was definitely not a 4 or 5 star property, more like a 3. I doubt there would be any ocean views either, maybe at most a glimpse through the trees from a window.

It is an older property with paper thin walls, which I don't think is all that unusual for some Carmel B&B's. It had a great staff, served a very nice breakfast and was a short walk to the heart of the village.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Deb
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 09:21 AM

Highlands Inn, Carmel, is a high-quality full service hotel with ocean views available. I imagine it's a 4*.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 12:46 PM

The title says B&Bs. Did you search others besides the ones you named?
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

I did search a lot, probably oversearched. I am trying to narrow it down somehow. The 3 in the original post were ones that looked interesting.

I was hoping to get some help in trying to pinpoint the nicest area and then the B&B. I always prefer input from Fodorites over postings on other travel site [tripadvisor] as one never knows the posters likes or motives on those sites. Here, when someone I "know" recommends a places, I am a bit more trusting - especially if the poster here and I share similar opinons about hotels, restaurants etc.

Deb
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 03:20 PM

The Green Gables Inn in Pacific Grove is directly across the street from the water, at Lover's Point. It is an easy walk to town and all the good restaurants PG has, and there are some good walks along the coast.

http://www.greengablesinnpg.com/

This is a Four Sisters Inn, as is the Gosby House and Cobblestone Inn. I prefer the location...FWIW.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Gosby Inn, a deluxe queen room [with fireplace] for $115 or Seven Gables smaller room, no fireplace, in Beach House for $140.

Which do you think???
Deb
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 08:21 AM

We just stayed at the Gosby House this past week. We enjoyed it, but I'd say it's more of a 3-star place than 4 or 5. We had room #17, a standard queen. It was a nice room with a comfortable bed, and we thought it was a good value.

The house is a comfy old Victorian, with antiques that show some wear. We consider that character, but not what one would find at a top-level B&B. The staff were excellent, and we love the location in Pacific Grove.

The breakfast was nice, but not awesome. Fresh coffee & tea, a couple kinds of juice. Lots of cereals, very good fresh fruit, muffins, and one hot egg dish. One day they had a plate with a large omlet sliced up into individual servings and the other morning was a quiche. I ate right at 8 am, when breakfast started. I don't know how frequently they brought out new hot egg dishes.

Pacific Grove is quiter than Carmel and Monterey, which is why we like it. Bottom line is that we'd return to the Gosby House, but I think you'd be better served by a higher-end B&B.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 09:17 AM

I stayed at Seven Gables Inn and loved it. I believe it is right next door to Green Gables. It's a little more expensive but I stayed in one of the cheaper rooms which was still outstanding. The views from this location are amazing and I loved getting up in the morning and walking the path that runs along the ocean.

The breakfast was a full breakfast and I thought it was very good. The room I stayed in had it's own outside entrance which I liked. I have stayed in Monterey before and like Pacific Grove better I have never stayed in Carmel which is cute but you won't get an ocean view if you are close to town.

Here is a link to the room I stayed in at Seven Gables.
www.pginns.com/7gables/ctq.htm (Look at that view)
and a link to the B&B website.
/www.pginns.com/

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 09:20 AM

If you look at Seven Gables website, they give discounts during the winter months if you stay midweek (which is what I did). I believe I did get the 20% discount when I stayed there.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 10:36 AM

<<I have stayed in Monterey before and like Pacific Grove better I have never stayed in Carmel which is cute but you won't get an ocean view if you are close to town.>>

???? Not true.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 11:15 AM

I wouldn't sweat your choice too much since it is just for one night. Each of the B&B's you're considering will be nice enough for an overnight visit. Besides, I'm sure your won't be spending all your time in your room, rather going out to explore Pacific Grove or Carmel and returning to sleep.

We've stayed 4 times in Carmel at different places and have yet to find a property that we really want to return to. Each has had their pros and cons. But we continue to go back because of how much we enjoy the Central Coast area. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Where will you be spending most of your time? What are your plans? You can narrow it all down by thinking about that.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input; we're going with Seven Gables and Paula, that is the room we booked!
Deb
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 04:52 PM

TTess-There probably are a couple of Carmel hotels where you can see the ocean-The Best Western, I think. But when I think of most of the Carmel B&B's, I think of the tree and garden views that many of them have. Let me know which ones have an ocean view, I am always looking for different places to stay in the area.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 09:09 PM

Sure, Paula, I'll get right on it.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 08:35 AM

Thanks TTess. I don't expect you to do research for me, just figured maybe you had a couple of recommendations. There are so many places to stay in Carmel, I never know which one to pick. I go up there for business. Have stayed in Monterey and Pacific Grove but always like to try different accomodations.

DebitNM-Hope you enjoy Seven Gables.