Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Monmouth Plantation, Natchez, MS question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/monmouth-plantation-natchez-ms-question-828670/)

theatrelover Feb 28th, 2010 11:16 AM

Monmouth Plantation, Natchez, MS question

We are going to stay at this property and have the choice of two accommodations. We can stay in an antebellum room (one of four such rooms) in the main mansion building. That will cost $235/night. We can get a package staying in a deluxe room which is not in the main building. For $575 we get two nights in the deluxe room, a chef's table dinner one night for the two of us, a carriage ride through Natchez, tours of 3 other mansions for the two of us and all taxes and gratuities are included. The package sounds like a really great deal but someone told me that the rooms in the mansion are really beautiful and the rooms in the other buildings are relatively ordinary. We're not pinching pennies so, if the antebellum room will be that much more beautiful, we will change our reservation. If it isn't that huge a difference, we'll stick with the package.

Anyone have any advice on this? Thanks

mah1980 Feb 28th, 2010 12:07 PM

I would stay in the main building--much nicer.

websitesam Mar 1st, 2010 04:18 PM

I was going to write about what a great deal you get with the package, but mah is right - the main building rooms are exquisite. The other accommodations are very nice, but variable. If you don't care about the cost, take the main house room and buy your dinner!

boom_boom Mar 1st, 2010 06:02 PM

We stayed in the main building and then got a look at some of the other rooms and were glad we made the choice we did.

theatrelover Mar 1st, 2010 07:42 PM

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm going to call tomorrow and change things. We'll buy our dinner and the entrance to the other mansions. And we weren't planning on doing the carriage ride anyway. Thanks!

websitesam Mar 2nd, 2010 06:36 AM

don't be in too much of a rush to discount the carriage ride. it's a fun way to see downtown. the driver tells you stories about the different buildings and sites as you pass by. I live here in the Natchez area, by the way.

theatrelover Mar 2nd, 2010 09:13 AM

Thank you. I'll put it back on our list. I appreciate the suggestion.

tower Jul 7th, 2011 09:19 AM

I know it's over a year here...but I spotted your mention of Monmouth with which we are intimately involved. Our next door neighbors here in California are Ron and Lani, the owners. Certainly one of the most beautiful properties in the south, in my opinion.

stu tower

theatrelover Jul 7th, 2011 10:20 AM

I agree. It was a wonderful place to stay. The entire staff made us feel so welcome. We stayed in a beautiful room in the main building and they gave us the package deal anyway. A highlight was the chef's dinner which we ate in the beautiful dining room, had fabulous food and a very enjoyable evening with the other guests that joined us that evening. We would not hesitate a moment to recommend Monmouth to anyone.

tower Jul 7th, 2011 10:40 AM

I'll pass on your comments to the Riches (Ron and Lani)...their schedule is amazing...two weeks here, two weeks there for the past 20 years. But they maintain their good humor throughout. The Chef's dinner is certainly a highlight. Does the diminutive Roosevelt still announce and describe the menu? I love that.

stu tower

theatrelover Jul 7th, 2011 07:54 PM

I don't remember who announced and described the menu. I do remember how delicious the food was and how much we enjoyed the evening.

cd Jul 8th, 2011 05:02 AM

I have to jump in here. We loved our stay at Monmouth, I still remember our room, it is pictured on their brochure! Our dinner was wonderful although I don't remember what it was!

tower Jul 8th, 2011 07:44 AM

cd and theatrelover:
don't know your names, but I'll tell Ron and Lani about your kind remarks here on Fodors.Happy travels.

stu tower

cd Jul 8th, 2011 08:20 AM

Stu, I don't know how we were chosen to receive a free upgrade but when we checked in the lady at the desk told us she was going to upgrade us! We soooooo appreciated that because there was no way we could have afforded the room we had! So, also tell your friends, as two retirees, we say thanks for one great deskclerk and one great facility!

theatrelover Jul 8th, 2011 09:14 AM

We were there last May and the reservations were probably under Christenfeld. Monmouth was recommended to us by our friend, Bob Lazarus, who now lives in Jackson but whose daughter had been married a few years ago in Natchez.

Littleman Jul 9th, 2011 11:51 AM

I have been to Monmouth 3 times. We stayed in the Owner's Suite out back once. It's a great place to visit. Natchez is a fun city.