Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Mondavi vs. Benzinger for Introduction (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/mondavi-vs-benzinger-for-introduction-478781/)

tinkerbride9 Oct 6th, 2004 09:27 AM

Mondavi vs. Benzinger for Introduction

Honeymoon starts in a few days! We are staying in Santa Rosa a few nights as part of our trip, and still trying to decide on tours. From what I've heard, Mondavi is very educational at all levels. I've also heard the same thing about Benzinger, and that the tram is fun to take.

We have two full days in the area, and most of one will be taken up by a balloon ride. We will probably do some tastings at other places, but want to schedule one serious tour. Which would you choose?

Johanna1 Oct 6th, 2004 11:55 AM

For what it's worth, and while I personally have never been to either winery,my husband still raves about his tour of Benziger, which he thought was more "personal" than Mondavi. Where ever you choose, have a lovely time!

ParrotMom Oct 6th, 2004 11:59 AM

Benzingers is still a family owned operation... we had been to both..Mondavi is very commercial..

ParrotMom Oct 6th, 2004 12:00 PM

While your there...check out the olive oil tastings...it is the latest thing.. I brought back a few bottles and also some great Sherry..

ssm Oct 6th, 2004 12:21 PM

I have been to both and candidly I did not feel like the Mondavi tour was at all commercial.

Mondavi is in the process of selling his shares in the winery. I hear his family will be focusing on some of the higher quality brands that will be sold off from the conglomerate. Personally, I would still tour Mondavi, if for nothing else to say you did it while it still in the Mondavi family.

For fun, you may also want to try the Coppolla winery. Good wine and a cool Godfather section.

Finally, since you are in the area, Tra Vigne is a must for lunch.

xxxx Oct 6th, 2004 12:29 PM

We recently took the Benziger tour (have never been to Mondavi). It was enjoyable and quite informal. The gentleman who gave the tour was informative and personable. It was not extremely detailed which suited us fine as we know nothing about wine and its production.

kimamom Oct 6th, 2004 01:44 PM

Benziger is a nice winery to tour, but Mondavi wines are better, IMO. And I agree with SSM, Tra Vigne is very nice. A lot of the restaurants in the wine country are very small, I love the openess and large dining room that Tra Vigne offers. ***kim*** (~~)

Heavens Oct 6th, 2004 02:44 PM

We did the Mondavi tour this summer. We loved it. The tour guides are called wine educators and they take their job pretty seriously. We learned quite a bit about the entire wine process from climate to location, soil, storage, on and on. I also love the winery itself. Very pleasant place. We have a friend who works there and did get to sample some very select expensive wines after the tour in a special room. My DH and I agreed that it was the highlight of our summer. The best wines ever to slip through my lip.

We also went to Coppola and we were a bit disappointed after our swell treatment at Mondavi. I sort of felt like it was a tourist trap. The tasting was $12 for I think only four wines and the price could not be refunded with purchase of wine. We got spoiled in Paso Robles. The grounds are beautiful though.

Otis_B_Driftwood Oct 6th, 2004 02:49 PM

Benziner has a great vineyard tram tour. It's lots of fun in good weather.

Robert Mondavi has some advanced tours that are the best in the industry but they charge for them. Also, as ssm stated, RMW is currently in a state of transition. They are laying off over 300 Napa Valley employees. Many of their programs may not be offered in the future. Call before your visit to make sure that the winery is still open. It really is a shame. I'd say that Robert is rolling over in his grave except that the guy is still alive. Nobody around here really knows what's going on there.

kimamom Oct 6th, 2004 05:25 PM

Heavens, which places did you visit in Paso? ***kim*** (~~)

LoveItaly Oct 6th, 2004 05:38 PM

Well the Mondavi family has fights, arguments and upsets for decades. Part of the Napa Valley history.
But I sure love their wines. Years ago spent a delightful afternoon with Robert Mondavi. A very down to earth gentlemen of the old school. Have not been to their winery for several years but believe it is still fantastic to visit.

Michael Oct 6th, 2004 05:44 PM

Benziger is in a nicer setting. I also suggest visiting the Jack London State Park next door, taking the hike to Wolf House and visit the house that Charmian built after his death. You can taste locally make olive oils at the Olive Press in Glen Ellen.

je Oct 7th, 2004 12:52 PM

Benziger has an interesting tour and has some very nice wines in the tasting room that you won't generally find in the markets.