Mom and Daughter trip to NYC

Apr 21st, 2005, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Mom and Daughter trip to NYC

My Mom and I are planning a trip to NYC in June. Would appreciate any advice. She has never been, I have been but it was 10 years ago. We are arriving early on a Friday morning and returning to Toronto late Sunday.
We are thinking about either Hotel Gansevoort or W New York. We love to shop, not designers though (she has the $ but I don't!!).
We also love good food but aren't foodies. The restaurants I have looked are one in W in Times Square (good people watching), Becco (W 46th St.), Asia de Cuba and The Library.
Tours - What about Big Apple Greeters? Or Shop Gotham Tours?
Thanks.
Apr 21st, 2005, 03:10 PM

I suggest you do a search of this forum. You'll find answers to most all of your general questions (and you can do much better in terms of restaurant choices).

Good luck!

Apr 21st, 2005, 03:33 PM

My Opinion - you can't visit New York without seeing a Broadway play. You can get tickets 1/2 price on the day of the show at the TKTS booth in Times Square. Your hotel desk will have the details for you.
Apr 21st, 2005, 03:56 PM

All mothers and daugthers who are interested in celeb sightings and fancy lunches should dine at Balthazar in soho (or even breakfast). Pastis is another good one.

W Hotel in union square is most convenient to all subways. Hotel Gansevoort is "cool" but transportation isn't easy.
Apr 21st, 2005, 08:18 PM

Go shopping at the Filene's basement in Washington Square. They have great stuff at bargain prices. I bought a Ralph Lauren denim jacket there for about $20.
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:15 PM

Enjoylife, you might be thinking of a different store -- in NYC, Filene's Basement is at 79th/Bway and on Sixth Ave around 18th by Old Navy & Bed Bath & Beyond. I don't know of one near Washington Square. Are you thinking of Daffy's? That's further south (462 Bway) but also great bargains.

I wasn't clear which W you were thinking about -- the Union Square location or the Times Square location (you mentioned the restaurant there.) If you stay at the Times Square one, you are right on top of the TKTS half-price booth, so definitely give that a look as SaltysMom recommends.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:27 AM

There are lots of W hotels and I think the W New York you mention is on Lexington Ave. and is the WORST one with tiny rooms. Don't do it. Any of the others are ok with Union Square being the most "hip." The Gansevoort is VERY cool and trendy. It has a rooftop pool and a bar up there that's a destination place. It is located in the very trendy meatpacking district. So if you want to be in the middle of a very trendy scene, it's a good option although as people say, it's not got the greatest transportation. It does have cool shopping nearby as well as very good restaurants. Spice Market is very good Thai food nearby. First decide where you're going to stay and then we can help with restaurant choices. I agree with Gekko, you can do better than the ones you've mentioned. To tour or not to tour, it's up to you. A BAG might be a nice way to get familiar with things. I don't know about Shop Gotham tours but I personally would hate going shopping on a tour. If either of you were into Sex and the City, you might find that tour fun.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:21 AM

Perhaps enjoylife meant Union Square where I believe a Filene's just opened.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:32 AM

FIlene's, DSW, Forever 21 and Wholefoods (with all kinds of food to go, or sit in there and eat) are all on the south side of Union Square.

You didn't mention the age of your daughter but Union Square park is a HUGE hangout for teens.

My daughter's (16) favorite shopping area Broadway in the VIllage/Soho area (between 8th st and canal st). You may also want to check out a street fair where you can sometimes pick up some nice inexpensive things. In the From now through labor days, there a few every weekend.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:42 AM

Have you considered the Union Square W. It's definitely nicer than the Time Sq one, and the location is great. There's a huge subway hub there, and it's an easy walk to many great neighborhoods for eating, shopping or just people watching.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:45 AM

Do not stay in the meat packing district!! not that there's anything wrong with it, but it's not that close to anything else!

Stay in Midtown right in the middle of everything, and you can just walk or take the subway or a taxi to every where else.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:47 AM

MFNYC, SHE is going with HER mom!
Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:07 AM

I understand she is going with her mom...what did i say???

I live near Union Square and walk through it everyday on my way to and from work.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:56 AM

>>>You didn't mention the age of your daughter but Union Square park is a HUGE hangout for teens.<<<

That's what you said!

and I can tell that the poster, who's the daughter, is not a teenager.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 11:26 AM

i was wondering about the age, because depending on age, i can recommend different stores since i have 2 teens (a boy and girl) living in the area. as far as teens in the park i meant that in reference to the area in general attracts a youngish population, therefor they may enjoy possibly walking over to the park, checking out the various street entertainment (everything form jazz bads to break dancers), watching the skate boarders, walking thru the farmer's market etc. I meant this for both mom and teen, not for the daughter to just go and hang out by herself.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 11:29 AM

mnss, I guess it was just the way I worded it, but for whatever reason, I think something was misunderstood here.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 11:36 AM

MFNYC - I think the point is that the poster is the daughter and does not appear to be a teen. Assuming that her mother is older than she is it seems that there are no teens, but rather 2 adults, going on this trip.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 11:37 AM

SOrry, I'm a little slow today....I just read the orignal. I thought it was the mom who hasn't been here in 10 years, not the daughter...me bad...
Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses, please keep them coming.
To clarify things, I am the daughter and I am in my early 30's. I do the planning, Dad pays and Mom enjoys the trip!
I will look into W Times Square, Pastis and Balthazar.
Apr 26th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

We have finally decided on a hotel - Crowne Plaza Times Square. We are staying there for 2 reasons, we can pay with "points" and since Mom has never been before she thought it would be fun to stay in Times Square. I was rooting for Hotel Elysee. Oh well, next time.
While in NYC we want to take a bus tour, go to Ground Zero, Empire State Building, have great food and do lots of shopping. I am going to look into a Broadway show.
I am going to try and get reservations at Pastis and Balthazar. Any other suggestions?
We are arriving June 16 and leaving June 19.
Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO