Mom and daughter heading to NYC for day trip!

Jun 26th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Mom and daughter heading to NYC for day trip!

Hi!
My daughter and I are planning a day trip to NYC on July 3.
I would love to know where would be a good place to eat and places to shop for
handbags!
Thanks!
Jun 26th, 2009, 02:45 PM

You need to be a bit more specific. Daughter's age, price range, taste. Does your daughter purchase Chanel bags, Prada, no designers, something in between or knock-offs? Same for eating! NY should be very quiet that day, so it should be a good day for getting around and hitting the stores - they'll be plenty of sales too.
Jun 26th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

My daughter is 19 and loves Coach & Chanel bags. She would like to purchase knock offs bags and shop for clothing. She wears American Eagle, Hollister, Abercrombie & Ralph Lauren and some no designer things.

We enjoy good Italian food, organic & healthy food and deli sandwiches.
Jun 26th, 2009, 05:29 PM

I'd suggest Daffy's as a good shop for her and H&M, both in Herald Square.

Also for CHEAP jeans and tees, you can't beat Conway, at 35th and Broadway.

There will be knock off stands all over the city on street corners, and some still in Chinatown. Alot of the stands selling knock-offs have been CLOSED DOWN there, but you will probably be approaced by sellers, offering to take you to a back room.

If she really likes Coach, there is a "Coach OUTLET" in Atlantic City and the prices there are VERY good. Just got one there recently.

All the stores will have sales over the 4th, Ann Taylor is having a really good sale right now, so check there as well.

Have a GREAT time while you are here.
Jun 26th, 2009, 05:39 PM

Knock offs are sold by street vendors on Canal Street and also sprinkled around the city. You could walk around Soho - lots of little shops. The East Village might be too funky for her. Dep't stores right now are reducing so much of the summer goods that the prices are great. They often have coupons for further reductions on top of the sale. Lord and Taylor has several Ralph Lauren dep'ts and many items are 40% off plus the extra 20% with the coupon. If I see new coupons, I'll post it here. They are so desperate for business, that if you 'forget' your coupon, they'll give you the additional discount anyway.
Jun 27th, 2009, 03:49 AM

Knock offs will fall apart quickly. You'd be better looking for real Coach bags at one of the discount stores like Loehmann's, Century 21 or Daffy's. There is currently no Hollister store in Manhattan. Abercrombie has 2 locations, one on Fifth ave. near Central Park and the other at the South STreet Seaport. You don't say where you're traveling from or where you'll enter the city but I think you'll have to go to several different locations to do everything you want to do. Post back with some more details on travel plans, when you expect to leave and whether the lunch is important (ie nice setting etc.) or you just want a place to eat.
Jun 27th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Visitors should be aware that making knock offs is a crime, and selling it is a crime - and there have been a number of police round ups of these individuals. There are more than enough of legitimate merchants in town where you can get good buys on good merchandise without patronizing that sleeze.
Jun 27th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Sorry - there is a difference between knock offs and fakes. Fakes are trying to pass themselves off as the real thing - and are in fact illegal to sell - since it constitutes copyright infringement - and is often linked to organized crime. (And fakes aren't cheap - they will try to sell you a $1000 bag for $250 - for which you could getg a decent r4eal something.)

Knock offs are similar designs - not fake duplicates - and are legal to sell. the trouble is that they are rarely worth what you pay, since the quality is generally awful.

I - and my step daughters - go for the real things at outlets (in person) or on-line (bluelfy.com has great prices when they have sales - often 50% off plus another 20-25% if you're on their newsletter list). You can also often get good deals at Century 21 on purses etc.

If you don;t want to spend that much I wouldn't go for poor quality fakes, but decent quality that you can afford in stores. (The ones sold from cartons on the street are knock offs - not fakes - since they usually cost $10 to $25 - which is more than they're worth.)
Jun 28th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great information especially on knockoffs/fakes. I would rather spend a little more and get something decent that is not going to fall apart.

We are taking the train into Penn Station so we will be walking around town just for the day. I would like to eat at a decent place for a late lunch.

Where is Century 21 located?
Jun 28th, 2009, 04:42 PM

Downtown - on Cortlandt St. You can check the subway map online to see the best route depending on what else you want to check out.
Jun 28th, 2009, 05:21 PM

What part of NJ are you from? There's also a Century 21 in Morristown and besides AC, there's a Coach outlet in New Hope (and Woodbury Commons and Reading, PA). Personally, for handbags (besides the outlet stores), I've gotten some great buys at TJ Maxx...
Jun 28th, 2009, 08:10 PM

joiseygirl - what area do you anticipate being in for the late lunch?
Jun 29th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Century 21 is all the way downtown near Wall st. You could take a subway to get there from Penn station and make it your first stop. Macy's and lots of other stores are on 34 st. right near Penn station if you wanted to look there first.

The nicest place for lunch near Penn station that I know is Ayza, but they serve lunch only from 12-3 and don't start serving dinner until 5. http://www.ayzanyc.com/Ayza_Chocolate_&_Wine_Bars.html Artisanal is also very nice and I believe they serve non-stop all afternoon. http://www.artisanalbistro.com/

The other idea is to head to Union Square where there are a lot of shops both on Fifth ave. in the teens and also at Union Square and also a lot of nice restauarants.
Jun 29th, 2009, 09:36 AM

Two places near Penn are Hangawi, an elegant and tranquail Korean veggie restaurant, and Keen's a venerable mutton chop house.
Jun 29th, 2009, 09:45 AM

I highly recommend Century 21 - I always enjoy it with my mother when she comes to town. Sort of the thrill of the hunt/find. Purchase a nice handbag there and please... forego the knock-off/fake.
Jun 29th, 2009, 09:49 AM

Century 21 Caveat

I am a male and not a shopper but worked near Century for 20 years. The frenetic energy that is Century is frightening. It is like the world is trying to buy the last pair of existing socks. The best time to go is probably around 10 AM when the workers are not there and before the other hordes ascend.

Whatever you do, do not go the week before Christmas, people enter and have never been seen again.