Mom and 16 yo son in NY for 3 days

Jun 7th, 2019, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Mom and 16 yo son in NY for 3 days

Hi! So Iím taking my son for a quick 3 days in the city before dropping him off at his summer program in PA.
He hasnít been to NY in 7 years. He remembers very little!

Looking for hotel, shows, ideas for stuff to do. Would love to take him to Hamilton but too $$$$ (Iíve seen in SoFla - would see it again in a heartbeat!)

He is a musician and supercar lover. The program is taking them to NY for UN, Wall St, 911 Memorial.

He loves to eat! He loves big swanky hotels. Hotel budget $250 a night. Any super deals out there? Hoping for a room that could fit 3, if my 19 yo flies in to meet us on Friday.

I need to rent a car Sunday morning to drive to move him into the dorm at 1130 am. And maps says itís about 1 1/2 hour drive. Suggestions on where to pick up a car needed as well.

Thanks!!
Jun 7th, 2019, 07:47 AM

You might consider Hadestown. it is making a big splash on Broadway with many Tony nominations. It is probably hard to get tickets. A friend who saw it recently said the current production is excellent.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...tchell-842447/
Jun 7th, 2019, 08:31 AM

The Beacon Hotel has nice suites for three people. It might be hard to find a "big swanky hotel" for $250/night.
Jun 8th, 2019, 09:40 AM

If he is a musician, below is a good listing. NYC is not a car culture, in fact it has one of the lowest car ownerships in the country.

You will be shocked how expensive it is to rent a car in Manhattan, especially during a summer weekend. See if the car is cheaper after 12 Noon on Sunday. Try to rent from a facility on the west side if you are heading for PA, as you will need one of the tunnels or the George Washington Bridge

As far as food is concerned, please be more specific as to type of cuisine and price.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/music
Jun 8th, 2019, 06:15 PM

My friends in NYC take a PATH train over to Jersey City, NJ to rent cars , due to high costs in the city.You can alao take a train to EWR and get your car there too.
My grandson loved the Museum of tne Moving Image if he is interested in film too. Well done. Take subway over to Queens.
Jun 10th, 2019, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Do u know if the rental cars are at the path station in jersey city or do we need to take a cab.
Jun 11th, 2019, 10:00 AM

You can take a train or bus to EWR and then a free shuttle to the rental car facility there (allow 90 minutes for the whole trip). That's probably your best bet to rent a car, and you can probably get a better rate. Second best is to try Enterprise in a town with a NJ Transit train station that's on your way to PA. I'm sure there are some car rental offices near some PATH stop, but I have no idea. Journal Square is the most likely culprit. Just be aware that it can be surprisingly difficult to even find a car in Manhattan or NJ near NYC on summer weekends, so definitely reserve it now. Depending on where you're going in PA, there's a Hertz office in North White Plains on Metro North, but it closes early on Sundays.
Jun 11th, 2019, 01:19 PM

Actually, I see car-rental locations from Avis, Hertz, Alamo, and Enterprise all near the Newport Center Mall. That's not on a direct PATH line from Manhattan, but it's still easily reachable. I don't see anything near Journal Square.
Jun 12th, 2019, 04:07 AM

Big swanky hotel not in your price range. At your son's age let him research and come up with ideas for a show, things to do and restaurants. Just my opinion.
Jun 12th, 2019, 10:14 AM

Some ideas based more on having had kids that age in larger cities: Freedom tower observation deck, Modern Pinball, Times Square (even though I find it underwhelming), Grand Central has the ambiance of a swanky hotel on steroids, and you could probably find some activities in Central Park depending on the weather etc. It seems the Met is having or was having a music related exhibit just recently. (I think it was the Met.)