Moloa'a Beach Kauai - any comments?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message: Hi All! Have any of you ever been to Moloa'a beach on the North shore of Kauai? I was reading about it in the "blue" book, and then did an internet search, but couldn't really find much information about it. I'm interested to know if it's considered a 'locals' beach (like Anahola) - last time we went to Anahola we didn't feel very welcome and it was just hubby, I, 2 magazines, and 2 beach towels. Any information you can share about Moloa'a beach would be welcome as we're looking for another "favorite" beach in Kauai (e.g. how's the swimming; is there shade; how's the beachfront, etc.). Our current favorite is Salt Pond....I'm always amazed that Salt Pond is rarely at the top of people's lists - heck half the people I talk to don't even know about Salt Pond....maybe I should keep it a secret ;-D.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,
Tracey

P.S. Sorry if this is a duplicate posting - I originally forgot to put this under Hawaii search topic.

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 08:07 AM

It's a beautiful crescent bay with a white sand beach, and the swimming and snorkeling were excellent when I've been there. It's more of a 'vacation renters' beach than a 'locals' beach, since the center of the bay is lined with houses, many of which seem to be rentals. There's no real public parking, so you have to park on the side of the road near the gate at the end. That keeps the beach uncrowded, but you'll still have to go to the far sides of the bay to get any privacy. There you'll find some good shady spots among the rocks and trees behind the beach. There is also a nice freshwater stream flowing into the center of the bay.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 09:14 AM

I've been there a few years ago. Very nice. It was where Gilligan's Island was filmed. Go in the morning, you can go to the rocky area at the end and see sea urchin, sea cucumber and corals by just standing. In the afternoon, the tide comes in . When we were there, there was just another couple with us and about 5 locals.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for both of your comments - this really helps! When I did an internet search on this beach I did come up with quite a few house rental properties (some were really nice too!!) so it makes sense what you say. I didn't realize this was where Gilligan's Island was filmed - that's pretty cool! Thanks again - I think we'll give it a go!
Cheers,
Tracey
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Kal

Moloa'a???
Never heard of it? You sure it's on Kauai?

We liked Salt Pond. Nice sunsets from there too.
Family atmosphere. I think they had a major bug/insect problem there for awhile but it was rocking again last year when we dropped by.
Mahalo!
Kal
137!!!! \/
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 01:38 PM

I agree about Salt Pond Beach, as it is one of my favorites also.It generally is used by locals and I have never seen alot of tourists there. If you go during the week it is pretty quiet. When I was there last year there were fewer than 30 people on the beach. Thorougly enjoyed the swimming and great beach. Looking forward to my upcoming 2005 trip, month of February. Can't hardly stand it!!!!!