Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Mole people in tunnels in NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/mole-people-in-tunnels-in-nyc-68866/)

Ann Apr 18th, 2000 12:39 AM

Mole people in tunnels in NYC

My sister told me she read a non-fiction book last year all about "Mole People" who live their whole lives in tunnels deep deep underground in NYC. In old subway tunnels and RR tunnels and bizarre places no one knows about some VERY VERY deep in the ground. She got this book at the library and it is non-fiction and she told me it gave her the complete creeps to know this is all going all all the time under the ground. <BR>Whole families and all living under there that NEVER come out or see daylight. Burr! <BR>I was thinking of going to NYC for a trip soon to see it but after she told me about this book and read me passages I'm so creped out by this! Any comments for NYC people...how can you stand traveling and being in the subways knowing these "people" are all over down there?

NYer Apr 18th, 2000 04:47 AM

Like anything else in NY, you just learn to ignore it.

Caitlin Apr 18th, 2000 07:04 AM

The same way we walk aboveground, knowing that homeless people sleep in doorways and otherwise on the streets, as they do everywhere. At least the subway dwellers have shelter. BTW, there's a fine bus system in NYC if you want to avoid the subway...

TW Apr 18th, 2000 07:46 AM

Ann, <BR>Please do not discrimnate against the Mole People! They have a rich and colorful history here in New York. Come to NY and meet them - visit their neighborhoods down below, enjoy their tasty cuisine and absorb their amazing culture! And remember, Mole People are people too! With the exception of their pasty white skin and bulging over sensitive eyes, they're just like you and me. So head to NY and enjoy the tapestry of people that make this city great, including the MOLE PEOPLE!

Eeyore Apr 18th, 2000 09:47 AM

I have a sneaking suspicion that AMS and Noah were once mole people. Renegades that they are, they escaped to the topside and are now wreaking a different kind of subversive havoc.

Owen O'Neill Apr 18th, 2000 09:50 AM

I'm not a resident of NYC but visit there quite regularly and in my hundreds of subway rides have never been aware of these subterranean dwellers. As the previous poster pointed out, yes there are homeless people living in a variety of difficult circumstances in NYC (as in any other major city) but I've rarely seen them in or around subway stations and almost never riding the subway itself. Furthermore, the subway system extends to all five boroughs of NYC but the typical visitor (including me) rarely rides anywhere but within Manhattan from 95th street down. Having ridden subways and public transport in Boston, Philly, San Francisco, San Diego, Toronto and Montreal (among others), I can attest that for all practical purposes the NYC subway system is safe and pleasant. Yes it's a bit noisy and could be a trifle cleaner but when one considers the age of the infrastructure and the number of daily riders it's truly miraculous that it's as efficient and pleasant as it is. Get a MetroCard pass and enjoy the ride - there's no better way to get around in NYC (except walking - always the best in my book).

Colleen Apr 18th, 2000 10:16 AM

Sounds like a scene from the Childs/Preston book.... Yes I remember it clearly "Reliquary" Pasty faces, bugeyes, yep! thats them!!

Ken Apr 19th, 2000 01:00 AM

You must be refering to the book "The Mole People" by Jennifer Toth. She wrote several books of non-fiction including this one which details the people who live in various underground locations in NYC (or so she claims). The most interesting is the very large community she says is living 7 levels below ground in family units. They have a mayor and schools and everything she says and many of the people were born underground and have never seen daylight. Toth is a reporter from LA and this book is listed with Amazon.com (and gets lots of good reviews) but there are also web pages debunking her and saying all this is fiction.

AMS Apr 19th, 2000 01:23 AM

I can't say anything about the mole people and I kind of think they don't exist. However, on my last trip to New York City I noticed quite a few homeless people one level up, living and sleeping in cardboard boxes in New York subways. The majority of these people, in fact, I think all of them were African Americans. I recall even seeing some elderly women. The post--slavery era in New York City is clearly a hoax.

BiteMe Apr 19th, 2000 06:35 AM

So African Americans living in the subways are evidence of ongoing slavery in NYC? Wanna explain that one?

dan woodlief Apr 19th, 2000 07:56 AM

Does anyone remember the movie about the mole people? I think it was made in the 60s. I have seen it about three times. I thought they blew up the moles' home in the end. I guess, the mole people left for New York after their home was destroyed.

Colleen Apr 19th, 2000 09:27 AM

I have been to NYC a few times and have ridden the subways and seen the homeless people. I have no doubt that these books, movies, and TV shows (remember Beauty and the Beast with Linda Hamilton?) are based on reality. They are the NYC street people who are black, white, and every other race. They are poor, sometimes alcohol and drug abusers, sometimes mentally ill, sometimes just people who have had an incredibly bad stretch of luck. These people have homes where ever they can - including sub levels of the NYC subway system.

JB Apr 19th, 2000 12:09 PM

Ann - Please don't let your concerns over mole people in nyc keep you from visiting what I consider the greatest city in the world. I'm heading back to the Big Apple in June and I can't wait, mole people or not!

Curious Apr 19th, 2000 12:35 PM

TW - can you really visit the mole people? Are there organized tours or something?

Former NY'r Apr 19th, 2000 09:09 PM

I gre up in NYC, though now reside in Southern CA. I took the Subways regularly for 15+ years and have no idea of what a mole person is. This should be the absolute least of your concerns when visiting NY. There is so much to do, museums, broadway, central park, shopping, Ellis Island and the subway/public transportation is the ONLY way to get around. If you're concerned about safety read up on practical safety measures when in a big city like NY. I'd not give a second of thought or worry to Mole people.

Larry La Porte Apr 19th, 2000 10:38 PM

Check out the web page at http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/rails/mole-people.html which is called Fantasy in "The Mole People" <BR>by Joseph Brennans who works for Columbia University. It's an extensive article but what he saysat the beginning is: "Here's the problem in a nutshell: every fact in this book that I can verify independently is wrong. I'm referring to her descriptions of the tunnels. "I hope to dismiss the myth of animal-like underground dwellers", writes Jennifer Toth. But the book is full of myth. "

TW Apr 20th, 2000 06:37 AM

Oh sure - there are tours. My favorite is through Down Under Tours. Its a half day walking tour throught the dark dank tunnels of subterranean NY. They provide the rubber boots and a boxed lunch. You get to see all the Mole hot spots, and they have arranged a quaint demonstration of Mole children doing their famous "Dance of the Mole Children." Don't forget to tip the kids, as the underground economy is not what it used to be and they can use anything you can spare. <BR> <BR>And beware of venturing off of the path of the tour. Those tunnels can get confusing, and you never know when you might run into an alligator. Wrestling an alligator is not my idea of a fun workout!

Brian in Atlanta Apr 20th, 2000 09:20 AM

We went on one of these tours on our last trip to the city. I must say we were pretty disappointed in the experience. <BR> <BR>We used Mole Hole tours and weren't happy with the tour, the guide or the food. For one, it was very dark and our guide moved us about very fast - so fast that we spent more time checking our footing than looking for Moles. And our guide didn't even speak very good English (though the brochure promised he would). He spoke sort of half English/half Mole so I'm sure we missed out on some important imformation. <BR> <BR>And our guide would not let us use flashes on our video cameras (said it would hurt the Mole people's eyes). Well, I'm sorry, but if I don't have a tape to watch later, I don't feel like I've actually been there. <BR> <BR>And the box lunch? Might have been good if we hadn't have been mugged by hungry Mole children immediately after opening it. How rude! I came to see them dance, not feed on the lunch that I paid for. <BR> <BR>All in all, I'm glad we did it, but would not use Mole Hole Tours again. <BR> <BR>

Cindy Apr 20th, 2000 09:39 AM

Brian, <BR> <BR>I'm sorry that you were unhappy with your tour, but you really shouldn't be surprised at the way things worked out. Everyone knows that one cannot truly appreciate the Mole lifestyle unless one spends some real time among the Mole people. Breezing in for a day (or night -- it's all the same to the Mole people) is just not the way to do it. Next time, think about staying in a Mole B&B for a few days. Eat their food; don't bring your own (that is just so rude). And learn a little Mole, for God's sake. As for taking flash pictures, there is a way to do it. Just use the red-eye function so that your camera flashes three times instead of just once. This gives Mole eyes time to adjust. And don't forget to ask their permission first, as some Moles are ashamed about their translucent skin and so are reluctant to be photographed. <BR> <BR>FYI, there is another company (family-owned by local Moles) offering tours and educational seminars. If you really insist on only superficial exposure to the culture, you might try it. They can be reached at www.molesandvoles.org. <BR> <BR>

Chuck Apr 20th, 2000 09:55 AM

Be sure and get your shots if you plan to stay at a Mole B&B. I hear there's been a terrible epidemic of mole-aria. <BR>And if you really like the mole children's dances, get a ticket to the deep chasm ice show, featuring Dorothy Hammole.