modern furniture in upstate new york?

Jun 24th, 2002, 07:00 AM
ariela

modern furniture in upstate new york?

I've heard that there is a town or area within 2-3 hours of NYC where there are various sellers of modern furniture. Anyone heard of this? Thanks.

Jun 24th, 2002, 08:03 AM
kate

The only places I know of that have great furniture shopping upstate would be Hudson NY.It is mainly antiques but there is plenty of Beidermeir and that sort of "modern" for its time furnishings.

Jun 24th, 2002, 10:20 AM
ttt

ttt

Jun 24th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Frank

hmmm.... Hudson is hardly "upstate"! But there are some fantastic shops up that way. If you're up to a 4-5 hour drive, go to Syracuse in July, there is The Great American Antique Fest mid month with over 500 dealers on the shore of the Onondaga lake. Also, if you want to travel in August, try the Bouckville Antique Show in about an hour from Syracuse, and don't be shy about going early, dealers set up on the street 4-5 days ahead of the main show. If you travel to Central New York, there are several shops in the area, do a search on the internet for Sunday Driver Antique Guide for maps and directions. With such large shows you're bound to find modern from Wright, Wakefield, etc. Good luck & have fun!

Jun 24th, 2002, 07:47 PM
kate

Frank-this has been discussed before and the consensus was,that if you live in Manhattan,then a few hours north on the Hudson count as "upstate"
Besides, I am originally from the South ,so what do I know?

Jun 24th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Frank

Kate, your reply helps Ariela . . . how?

Sorry Kate, I didn't realize there was already a thread on Modern furniture shops within 2-3 hours of NYC (i.e . "this has been discussed before") If you have any suggestions for places to shop for this type of furnishing, please respond; otherwise move on to the next thread.

Jun 25th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Anthony

As a lover of modern furnishings and a native New Yorker, I can't imagine ANY place 2-3 hrs outside NYC for modern furnture - besides, why ewould you need to leave Manhattan? The highest concentration of modern furniture stores would be in the SoHo area of Manhattan. additional areas would be Park Ave south around 33st.
In terms of actual stores, names like (in no particular order)B&B Italia, Poliform,Maurice Villency, DDC, BModern, Workbench, Door Store, Les Studio,Conrans,Poltrona Frau, Jensen Lewis,Palazzetti, ABC Carpet & Home Store(2nd flr),SEE,Design & Comfort....
and these are just a few. I Garuntee there is no 'secret' little town with a better selection of modern furniture than Manhattan.

Jun 26th, 2002, 04:03 PM
BBB

There is a great modern furniture store in Armonk, NY - not sure if that qualifies as "upstate". It is called Yellow Barn or Modern Furniture Barn. Great selection!

Jun 26th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Jen

Don't forget about IKEA!

Jun 26th, 2002, 05:53 PM
SteveP

I live in Warwick NY and I consider it upstate.

Modern furniture .... here .... you're barking up the wrong tree.

This place is dominated by old homes and country furniture for rich people and garbage for poor people

Jun 26th, 2002, 07:24 PM
kate

Frank,what IS your problem??
I responded to Ariela as best I could,and you were quick to make a remark about "upstate" in response to MY reply.
So I -pleasantly- with a smiley face so you would GET IT,remarked that not so long ago, there was a long thread discussing Upstate and where does it become UPstate.
Obviously you are either new here or don't read all the threads.Which is fine, but why come on here and be so unpleasant? And who the hell are you to tell anyone to move onto another thread?

Jun 26th, 2002, 08:24 PM
mike

Yo-Frank,you're busted !!!!
Hudson is UPstate! It isn't DOWNstate.

Jun 27th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Jill

What is it with some of you posters??
A person responds to a thread,then gets attacked for their response,then the whole thread dives!
Ariel,there is a site for Columbia County,I will see if I can find it,and will post it here,there are listings of every furniture/antique and other stores/markets in the "upstate" area.I hope that will be of help to you.
And yes-Hudson-2 hrs NORTH of NYC,has mostly antiques but does have stores carrying modern furniture.
Good luck.

Jun 27th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Jill

http://www.columbiacountyny.org/

Here it is!

Jun 27th, 2002, 06:18 AM
RnR

From my vantage point, all of ny is up. But be nice to Kate if you plan to stick around here for very long - she's a quality poster, and god knows, Fodors cannot afford to lose her - the value level here is already behaving like the Dow.

Jun 27th, 2002, 08:00 AM
ariela

Thanks for all your suggestions! Now stop bickering . . .

Jun 27th, 2002, 09:36 AM
nigel

there are a few "kates" on these boards and I have found them all to be quite helpful whenever they post.
sorry ariela,fair is fair,ya know?