Moderate restaurant near Penn Station?

Feb 7th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Moderate restaurant near Penn Station?

Hi-I'm meeting a long lost friend in NYC for dinner. I'm taking the train in from Newark and planning to exit at Penn Station. (He's coming from a hotel near Grand Central Station)

I'm not familiar with NYC at all and am a single young female. Are there any good, moderately priced ($18ish entrees) restaurants that are near that station and safe for me to walk to? No chain restaurants preferably!!

BTW-Is there a specific place I could suggest for him to meet me in Penn Station? Then we wouldn't be as limited in where we'd go for dinner. Thanks for your help!!
Feb 7th, 2005, 06:54 AM

There is a dearth of decent restaurants around Penn Station. One that is pretty good and has a good "vibe" to it is Tupelo Grill. I *think* it's in the bottom of Penn Plaza, but you can look it up.
Feb 7th, 2005, 07:26 AM

Harp Bar and Restaurant is on 32nd about a half block east of Penn Station. A warm atmosphere with good food and reasonable prices.

http://dine.com/p/dine/info.cgi?RID=67917
Feb 7th, 2005, 07:32 AM

On second thought, you might not want to consider The Harp. It was fine when I ate there last, but apparently it doesn't have too many good reviews online.
Feb 7th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Hi,
Seven is supposed to be a nice, low-key restaurant. I've never been there, but here's their website: http://sevenbarandgrill.com/
It has pictures and a menu -- some of the entrees are more than $18, but there are a lot that aren't. In terms of meeting places, I suggest you just meet at the restaurant. That always seems to be the easiest option.
Feb 7th, 2005, 08:12 AM

The Harp is closed - too bad - was a great place for a pre-concert drink. For beer and burgers there's Mustang Harry's on 7th Ave around 28th Street. Tupelo Grill is good, as is Nick and Stefs which is steak. Arno is Italian on 36th or 37th St. off of 7th, and Aperitifo (?) on 39th Street off of 6th.
Feb 7th, 2005, 08:28 AM

I suggest you skip the idea of eating near Penn Station. When you arrive, catch a cab to his hotel. You'll certainly be able to find one another there. Then you can decide on a good place to eat. Have an adventure!
Feb 7th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the recommendations!! I'm going to try to find a few of these menus online and go from there. Ellen, wouldn't I likely need a reservation, so choosing a place after we meet might not work?? I appreciate the suggestion though!
Feb 7th, 2005, 12:19 PM

Checked Citisearch -
Arno 141 W 38th Street
Appetito 47 W 39th Street

Hubby has eaten at both and says they are decent.
Feb 7th, 2005, 12:51 PM

There are too many restaurants in NYC to count. Unless it is some special holiday, you should have no trouble finding a place to eat without needing reservations--you are not choosing some well-known book-months-in-advance venue.

What day of the week is this? Unless you're talking Saturday night, most of the suggestions you've thus far received would not require reservations. We're having a hard time making many siggestions because it is not a neghborhood in which people choose to eat unless forced to do so by circumstance.
Feb 7th, 2005, 12:55 PM
GoTravel

You can meet at the bar at Houlihans in Penn Station.

Feb 8th, 2005, 04:49 AM

I think Seven is too noisy & the
food does not equate the prices.

A current younger fave is Niles (American) on 7th across
from Penn between 32-31 &
for really inexpensive, Ginger House
(Chinese but a good-sized rest.)
on 7th @ 28th.

For Irish pub.: Molly Wee on corner
of 8th & 30 St.

None of these will break the bank.
Feb 9th, 2005, 02:55 AM

The area around Penn Station is dismal. Not unsafe, just not very attractive nor are there great dining options. Trio is an interesting rest. with good food and ambiance (piano player). It's a straight walk from Penn Station and also not too far from the Grand Central area.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantd...taurantid=3067
Feb 9th, 2005, 05:40 AM

I agree, if you are willing to head over to the east 30s or 20s, you will have much better options. It is a straight shot south for your friend (walk or take the 6 train) and a straight shot west for you (walk, cab, or take a bus). What kind of food are you interested in? In addition to Trio, I'd recommend Trukish Kitchen (stylish, fun), Rio Grande (killer margs, watch out), Ethos (Greek)...
Feb 9th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Okay, so I'm kinda getting the idea that Penn Station isn't a desirable dining locale If I'm venturing a little further away (and closer to Grand Central Station where my friend is), are the restaurants listed in previous posts (Trio, Turkish Kitchen etc) still my best bets for a moderately priced restuarant? It doesn't have to be the "perfect location" but since I've begrudgingly expanded my location preferences, I thought there might be some new recommendations out there? Thanks so much for your help!
Feb 9th, 2005, 09:47 AM

IMHO, your best bet for good, reasonable restaurants (as opposed to tourist traps or expense account places) is to eat in neighborhoods where people actually live. The area around Penn Station is not residential, and neither is the area directly around Grand Central (although it does have some decent business choices, but I don't think that is what you are looking for). The 20s and 30s around 3rd Ave are very residential. I am actually a "single young female" who lives in the 20s, I'd be happy to provide further recs if you give me some more specifics. As there are dozens of possibilities, it is hard to give you a "best bet" without more info. What cuisine? What atmosphere? Trendy? Quiet? Crowded? Casual?

As an alternative, Park Avenue (which is also east of Penn Station but west of 3rd ave, and a straight shot south from GS), has many restaurants as well. These tend to be trendier, but more corporate, and will push the higher edge of your price range. Dos Caminos, Sushi Samba...
Feb 9th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

KikiLee-I would love some recommendations. I don't do sushi, but am open to other suggestions. I'm not into the real "gourmet" types though, where I have to ask what half the stuff in the entree is I like Italian, Mexican, seafood, continental....Want some place young, not too professional but not too trendy. Not overly loud, as I'm hoping to chat and catch up with my friend, but not anything romantic. Thanks!
Feb 9th, 2005, 08:49 PM

Tupelo is a good suggestion -- it's actually across the street from Penn.

Another option is Tir Na Nog, which has a decent bar scene as well as a restaurant. It's across 8th, between 33rd & 34th.
Feb 25th, 2005, 12:27 PM

For anyone that's interested in the fate of The Harp Bar - I used to work at 1 Penn Plaza and I hung out at the Harp every day for years. I became good frineds with the owner. He was bought out by Mr. Durst, who is putting a high rise condo cpmplex up on the site.

However, the owner and his brother are opeing a new bar right around the corner on 7th Ave. between 30th & 31st. It should be open just in time for the Big East tournament in a couple of weeks. I've been inside and it's beautiful. Much roomier and much more well lit than the Harp. It will be the same staff for the most part and the same friendly atmospher. They have a dozen or so plasmas and a drop down screen. It'll be the nicest sports bar near the Garden. Kepp your eyes open over the next 2 weeks and stop in when they open.
Feb 25th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Wow, that's great news shogunmarcus. I used to love to go to the Harp before events at MSG. Also, when the trains are messed up...........