Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Moab Trip Report - short trip, long report! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/moab-trip-report-short-trip-long-report-645873/)

DebitNM Sep 11th, 2006 03:49 PM

Moab Trip Report - short trip, long report!

We drove from our home in SW Colorado into Moab on Friday morning. We had lunch {restaurant info at the end} and then continued on to Arches NP. Our annual Park Pass got us in for free and we spent about 4 hours seeing all of the terrific arches and windows. I took lots of photos [which hopefully I can get downloaded and available for your viewing]. The weather was perfect, despite the day starting off rainy. We walked around quite a bit and climbed up to a number of the windows. It is truly amazing to witness these miracles of nature.

We headed back into Moab and checked in -- we stayed at Cali Cochitta B & B. www.moabddreaminn.com It is a 5 ((*)) in our book -- top B&B we've ever stayed in.

I had found them on tripadvisor.com and was so impressed with the reviews. I had my hopes set high and we were not disappointed! The house has been lovingly restored and is in a perfect location for walking into town for dinner and general people watching and shopping. We met the owners, Kim and David, as we checked in and immediately knew we were in for a treat. Kim's pride in the inn was evident as she showed us around and truly made us feel at home. Our room was immaculate, comfortable and beautifully furnished. {All the rooms are equally lovely as I peaked in before we left so I could do a complete TR!}. ((Y))

We sat in the lush backyard, relaxing with an adult beverage and simply enjoyed the peace and quiet that enveloped us.

We had dinner and walked up and down the quaint town. Back to the inn and we settled into our oh so comfortable bed for a good night's sleep.

In the morning, the scent of brewing coffee tempted us as we left our room. David had made a sumptuous breakfast for the guests and we ate in the outdoor dining area while discussing our adventures with a diverse group of other guests. David gave us excellent directions on how to get to where we wanted to go and we were off.

We head off to an area called Potash, where we drove our 4WD vehicle through some amazing roads [we got to the road by going though a parking lot just past Jug Handle arch]. It was a great road to drive and we got to drive under a massive boulder that was resting precariously against the mountain! Unfortunately recent rain made our complete passage impossible [we were heading towards Canyonlands NP] so we had to turnaround and retrace out steps.

We then went to Canyonlands NP, again getting in with our Annual Park Pass, and did the Islands in the Sky trip. It was super and we stopped at many locations for picture taking. Just when you think you've seen it all, something else jumps out and you say "I have to take some more pictures!"

We headed back to Moab and rested up before going out to dinner. After dinner, we listened to some good music that was playing near some galleries that were having open house. They do this every couple of months, so we got lucky on timing.

Sunday morning...more tempting scents as we left our room. And again, David prepared
a mouthwatering breakfast and more sharing stories with some new folks and some that we'd talked to the morning before. We lingered before taking off to the Needles overlook on our way home.

I was disappointed with this part of the trip. It was a long road in and only one place to stop. The view of Needles was no better [maybe not even as good] than the northern part of Canyonlands. {Maybe I justed was wanting to get home and see my pup!}

Restaurant: we had lunch at Eddie McSkiff's and it was ok. However, not long after we both were feeling less than great...very upset stomachs. Not sure if it was the food [we ate different things]but not sure I would go back there anytime soon. ((n))

Dinner that night was at Poplar Cafe. It was really poor! We had their prime rib special - ick! Meat was overcooked [we ordered medium and it was well past "well"] and dry and almost 50% fat. {Pup got a treat when we came home}. The veggies were canned and the entire meal was blah. There were only a couple of other patrons there, not a good sign.

Dinner at Pasta Jay's proved to be the best outside of breakfast. We had a good pizza and those around us had food that looked and smelled great! It was busy, a good sign in my book.

Well, that's about it. We really enjoyed ourselves and look forward to a return visit to Moab and Cali Cochitta.

Hope this helps...
Debi

ccrosner Sep 12th, 2006 12:22 PM

Someday I'd like to take my family to Moab so thank for the TR. Always a help! Glad you had fun.

sweetsailing Sep 12th, 2006 12:47 PM

Thanks Debi for the trip report. We were in Moab in June this year, so it was great to relive all the beautiful scenery through your report. We also ate at Eddie McSkiff's when we were in Moab and had about the same experience as you. We were not impressed with the food during our meal or later into the evening (i.e. our stomachs). Perhaps this is the norm there since we had similar experiences.

Other places we tried were Moab Brewery and Zax's. We loved both of these places and had a nice time.

DebitNM Sep 15th, 2006 08:04 PM

topping for Jen

Clousie Sep 16th, 2006 06:39 AM

Debit
The B&B sounds great! Which room did you stay in?

For anyone else trying to access the site, you need to delete 1 d in the URL.

DebitNM Sep 16th, 2006 06:59 AM

Opps! the correct website is

www.moabdreaminn.com Thanks Clousie for spotting that for me!

We stayed in the Suite as it was the only vacancy with short notice. I did look into most of the rooms to see them, so I can be more helpful with rooms.

I am headed out right now, but can give a better description and suggestion on the rooms tonight. Some are a bit better as far as location, but they are all lovely.

Debi

budrock9 Oct 13th, 2007 11:04 AM

Debi, I wholeheartedly agree with your rating of the best B&B bar none in that region if not the west coast! My wife and I along with friends just completed our fifth stay at the Cali Cochitta! We continue to be most impressed with the gracious hosts, David and Kim Boger, who certainly have it right across the board. Had I not run four miles a day during my visit, I would have gained a pound a day with such a superb breakfast. Moreover, there is so much to do in Moab. We hiked some major trails and did some rock hounding which included finding beautiful agates and fossils. Thankfully, I was able to pack over 15 lbs or rocks in my suitcase. :) In sum, I just wanted to echo the comments you made in your review. I enthusiastically agree.

Buddy Maertens
Columbia SC

DebitNM Sep 20th, 2008 08:22 PM

topping