Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   moab to springdale utah - easy drive? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/moab-to-springdale-utah-easy-drive-855643/)

Governator Aug 21st, 2010 03:25 AM

moab to springdale utah - easy drive?

Google tells me 5:30 hrs.

Is it easy to do in a morning? Or should I drive 1/2 way the night before and stay over somewhere?

Is it scenic?

Governator Aug 21st, 2010 03:26 AM

BTW, will be driving October 8.

Myer Aug 21st, 2010 03:36 AM

According to Google Maps you can do it in about 5.5 Hours taking Rte 70 & 15. Or you can do it in 8 hours taking the scenic Rte 12.

I don't know what you plan is but there are some pretty amazing sights along the way and it probably merits a couple of days between.

Just driving on Rte 12 (freaked me out but very scenic), Goblin Valley, Capitol Reef NP (not one of my favorites but for some it is), Lower Calf Creek Falls, Devil's Garden Escalante, Willis Creek slot canyon (I seem to be the only one to go there), Bryce Canyon NP, etc.

A lot to work in.

Governator Aug 21st, 2010 08:38 AM

I'm doing a counter clockwise loop LV, GC, Page, Bryce, CR, Arches, Zion, LV in 10 days. I'll be on rte 12 between bryce and capitol reef. I was just wondering if I should breakup the drive from arches to zion doing 1/2 of it the night before, or if it's a tolerable 5 1/2 hour drive with some scenery.

seniormsuedu Aug 21st, 2010 11:45 AM

I broke up the drive by staying in Torrey, a nice tiny town with good motels and restaurants. If time, you can take the short Scenic Drive along the Waterpocket Fold, south of the park headquarters at Fruita.

I've stayed at Capitol Reef Inn and Chuckwagon Motel in town. There are more motels nearer Scenic Drive.

I loved Torrey.

Myer Aug 21st, 2010 12:13 PM

I'm not sure I understand. Does this mean you will have already seen all the sights listed except for Zion that you are leaving for last before returning to LV?

Why not leave Bryce also and take the fast route to Bryce and then down 89 to Zion?

utahtea Aug 21st, 2010 04:47 PM

If anyone plans on driving from Moab to Zion or visa versa along Highway 12, I strongly recommend spending the night and I'd do it in Torrey. This will allow time in Capitol Reef National Park. Capitol Reef truly is the undiscovered jewel of the Utah Parks.

Utahtea

spirobulldog Aug 21st, 2010 05:13 PM

It sound to me that you are hitting all the National Parks. Definately get a National Park Pass. There are some TREMEDNOUS places that others have mentioned here that you will want to consider.

As far as Capitol Reef, many will tell you that it is one of there favorite places in Utah. For me, it is one of my least favorites. I would strongly suggest Goblin Valley/Little Wildhorse Canyon as a stop. For Capitol Reef, I would stop at the Gifford House and get a pie and eat it in the picnic area a few feet away. Almost guaranteed there will be several deer there as well. If you like to hike without the crowds, you will like Cap Reef. I don't think the sights there are nearly as good as the other places in UT.

Hwy 12 is usually on every top ten best list that I have seen. So I don't think you will have a problem with the scenery.

utahtea Aug 21st, 2010 09:05 PM

I'll second the suggestion to stop for pies at the Gifford House!

Utahtea

peterboy Aug 22nd, 2010 04:58 AM

Utahtea is spot on with her suggestion. To travel through the area but skip Hwy 12 would be cheating yourself.

Here's a link to a wesite that provides an overview:

http://www.utah.com/byways/highway_12.htm

This site shows all the attractions along Rt. 12 (a great site)

http://www.so-utah.com/hwy12/homepage.html

On our last trip we devoted our trip to Hwy 12 since we never felt we gave it enough time on previous trips. We flew into Vegas and only went as far as Torrey. We loved it! Here's our trip report:

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/utah_tr

We do enjoy hiking without the crowds and do very much enjoy Capital Reef. Capitol Reef also displays the widest range of rock color that you'll see in any of Utah's National Parks. It is stunning after a rainstorm. A minimum visit would include the Gifford house, the Scenic Drive, the small pictograph trail and a short hike up to the Hickman Bridge or up the Cohab Canyon trail. We found the Cohab Canyone trail very colorful with good views.

As far as Hwy 12 being scary, here's an image of the scariest section; The Hogsback section just as you head out of Boulder toward Escalante looks like this from behind the wheel:

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/88442508

It is a long way down on either side for sure but it is easy to keep the car on the road.

This will be a great trip for early October...you're gonna love it!

Governator Aug 22nd, 2010 04:51 PM

Yes, I will have seen all the listed, including Bryce, Capitol Reef and Rte 12/Escalante, before getting to Arches, on the way out. Leaving Bryce for the return part of the loop would have left a long drive from Grand Canyon to Capitol Reef.

On the return though, Arches to Zion, via 70 and 15, I was trying to decide if I should break it up into 2 3 hr driving segments over 2 days, or do the 5 or so hours drive in one morning. I decided to do the morning drive and book at Hurricane since it's 30 minutes closer to Moab then Springdale and I could check out the upper part of Zion when I arrive.

Thanks for the tips though.

gigib Aug 22nd, 2010 06:22 PM

Hello,
We just drove Moab to Springdale last Saturday, via 70 and 15, easy fast 5 hours or so. Arrived in Zion in time to take in 2 short hikes, up the River Trail towards the Narrows, and Weeping Rock.

Can you not get a reservation in Springdale? Don't bother staying in Hurricane, you won't notice the 30 minutes.

Arches was spectacular, by the way.

spirobulldog Aug 23rd, 2010 03:34 AM

I am confused by your asking "Is it scenic", since you have been to "all the places listed". I think everyone assumed this was your first trip.

Governator Aug 23rd, 2010 06:06 AM

spirobulldog,
What I meant is I'll be seeing Bryce, 12, CR etc. on the way to Arches. I was asking about the return drive from Arches.

gigib,

You answered my question :), thanks.

BTW, My logic for booking Hurricane over Springdale: 1) cheaper (trying to balance out the expensive hotel I booked in Vegas :)) 2) closer to Arches 3) closer to Vegas 4)I'll only be there 2 nights.

I think Hurricane is closer to the Kolob trail, which I'll go see on my arrival day.

spirodog and everyone else, thanks for the tips about rte 12 and Capitol Reef, they will be very useful on the way up to Arches.

peterboy Aug 23rd, 2010 08:22 AM

Governator, would you mind sharing your itinerary with us? I can't quite get a handle on your route.

UtahMentor Aug 23rd, 2010 01:32 PM

October 8, there will be Colorado River 4 hour jetboat tours out of Moab to add to your itinerary. Usually an afternoon or morning departure. the Colorado River, so accessible and it is contributes to the grand canyon and canyonlands erosion and sights. A must do...apples should be ripe at Capital Reef orchard.

utahtea Aug 23rd, 2010 10:51 PM

Ahh...didn't realize this was the return route.

I-70 between Green River and Fremont Junction is the San Rafael Swell which could be a National Monument someday. Make sure you stop at some of the scenic overlooks, they are well worth a little of your time.

On I-15 if you have the time you might want to drop into the Kolob Section of Zion National Park just south of Cedar City.

Utahtea

Governator Aug 24th, 2010 03:57 PM

Itinerary: (Oct 2-12) LV->South Rim Grand Canyon ->Page->Tropic/Bryce->Torrey/Capitol Reef->Moab/Arches->Hurricane/Zion->LV

Ambitious, I know but it's my wife's first time and she wants to see as many places as possible.

It's good to hear I-70 is scenic. I rationalized staying in Hurricane since it's close to the Kolob section.

Do you think, when heading from GC to Bryce, I should overnight in Page or Kanab. Which route gives a view of the Vermillon Cliffs?

utahtea Aug 24th, 2010 11:35 PM

Are you asking which route because Hwy 89 takes you to Page and also to Kanab. Alt 89 takes you though Jacob Lake and then Kanab.

You will see some of the Vermillion Cliffs on both routes. Alt 89 turns from desert type views to mountain driving with curvy roads, forest and meadows. It's a little slower drive if you get stuck behind an RV.

Hwy 89 though Page is my favorite route, but then I like the desert type scenery with multi colors. You will see the Vermillion Cliffs on this route too. You also will see beautiful Glen Canyon Recreational Area (Lake Powell). If you have 1 1/2 hour to spare you can do the Upper Antelope Slot Canyon tour which is just outside of Page.

BTW, early October is a great time to be in this area.

Utahtea

Governator Aug 25th, 2010 08:10 AM

Ok, that confirms my choice to go via Page.

When I drive from Grand Canyon to Page, is there any need to be concerned about driving at night?