Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Moab & Small Children Trip Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/moab-and-small-children-trip-report-835128/)

StantonHyde Apr 10th, 2010 06:20 PM

Moab & Small Children Trip Report

Just got back from our annual pilgrimmage to warm weather in early spring (after some epick spring snow storms in Salt Lake City--it was so nice to go some place warm!!)

We have stayed in properties managed by Moab Lodging our last 3 stays. This time we stayed at the Desert Gardens property and LOVED it. There are 3 little bungalows in a row with a HUGE grass, fenced-in lawn with BBQ grills, outdoor furniture and a HAMMOCK! We could let the kids run around all they wanted and they could not get enough of the hammock. The place is small, and no dishwasher in the kitchen, but it was clean and comfy. It is just one block off of Main Street but at the end of a dead end street so it is very quiet. The kids begged us to stay there again!

We got takeout from Pasta Jays--very good. And from the Desert Edge Brewery--which was pretty darned good too. (We do take out so we can eat a leisurely meal while the kids run around the yard :-) ). I was impressed at the wine selection in the liquor store (we usually bring ours with us but didn't have time to shop before leaving this time). And had coffee and got treats in my favorite, favorite spot--Red Rock Bakery and Cafe. The peanut butter brownies were to die for!

We made it to Delicate Arch with a 4 and 7 year old. Whining peaked the last quarter of a mile :-) But they were very proud of themselves. This was the first time we have done the Junior Ranger program and the kids thought that was cool. We had to do the usual Windows and Double O Arch stop. That was their first hike in Arches ever and they want to go back every year. (The rocks at the bottom of Double O make for great hide and seek sessions!)

It seems more and more parks are letting people check out "explorer packs"--a backpack with resource books, binoculars, a magnifying lens, and an activity book. Great things to keep the kiddos entertained and educated!! We checked out one at Capitol Reef last year and that was the hit of the trip!

On the way into town (from I-70) we stopped off to see the Mill Canyon dinosaur bones trail. That was REALLY cool--it is pretty awesome to see "raw" bones in situ.

We also stopped at the Helper Railroad and Mining Museum for a leg stretcher. The website makes it very clear that they are under construction--quite a few exhibits were missing. The CEU Museum in Price is better for kids.

spirobulldog Apr 10th, 2010 06:28 PM

Do you mean Double O or Double Arch? Double O is on Devils Garden Trail and would be a pretty lengthy hike for a 4 year old.

Dayle Apr 11th, 2010 05:47 AM

StantonHyde,

Good for you! I was in Moab mid-March when the weather forecast was for a 60 degree weekend. Right after I made my non-refundable res at Calle Cochita, they changed it to snow for Sunday.....

I had a perfect weather and hiking day on Saturday when I did the Corona Arch hike which I haven't done in 6 years. It was great and it seems there is a ladder where there wasn't one before.

Anyway I got the treat of seeing arches in the snow and fog and deserted of people. Actually heard the sound of running water in Arches (from the heavy rainstorm)! Something very rare.

I'm so glad you take your kids to these great places. My parents took us when we were little and I've loved it ever since.

Where is Mill Canyon? Is it actually between I-70 and Moab? I'd like to see it next trip.

StantonHyde Apr 12th, 2010 01:59 PM

spiro--good catch, yes, Double Arch. Although my 4 year old is a much stronger hiker than her brother and could probably do that trail--given enough M&Ms :-)

Dayle--this spring has been crazy. I wasn't sure what weather we would have and felt very lucky that we got sunny and 60s. There was a group of mountain bikers from Quebec staying in the next bungalow--they were truly in heaven!

Mill Canyon is about 15 miles north of Moab off 191. The Canyon itself is a mountain biking trail (at the end of a dirt road). It's a BLM site. I found it by googling Utah dinosaurs or tracks in Utah. There is actually an online brochure that might be listed in the Moab visitors center online "brochure rack", too. Plus I think you can pick up a brochure at the visitors center.

Janster Apr 24th, 2010 05:15 AM

Hello - going to Moab in about 10 days. We have a hotel room, but maybe we should book an apartment through this company. I searched and got results that included "Purple Sage". Do you know that property? THANKS

swblouisiana Apr 25th, 2010 04:59 PM

We have a house available to us in the La Sal Mountains. We are thinking of going toward the end of June. Do you or any other posters have any experience? Some of us are worried it will be too warm. Weather history jumps all over the place--from 80s to high 90s. Is 90 there too hot? Thanks for any insight!

emalloy Apr 26th, 2010 11:38 AM

Thanks for the report, great that you've got the kids hiking and loving the park.

Dayle Apr 28th, 2010 05:31 PM

swb,

You should ask the elevation of the house "in the La Sal Mtns". In the west, elevation makes all the differnce when it comes to temps! If the house is high enough (6,000 ft. +), then temps should be tolerable for you during the day. I camped in the La Sals one July 4th weekend at 10,000 ft. and it was nice during the day and, interestingly enough didn't really cool off much at night. I think all the hot air from below (it was 104 degrees in Moab) was rising up during the night. Anyway, that's my theory!

You should also ask how far (miles) the house is from Moab. If it's too far, it will not be a convenient drive to the parks and river.....

Dayle Apr 28th, 2010 05:33 PM

PS, louisiana,

Our 90 degrees is NOTHING like your 90 degrees. Humidity vs. no humidity also makes all the difference!

StantonHyde May 9th, 2010 02:51 PM

Sorry I wasn't around to reply to the question about the Purple Sage condos--I was backpacking in Grand Canyon!! I have not stayed at Purple Sage. I have stayed at Desert GArdens (great place for a family of 4 or for a couple who likes a big yard and quiet). I also stayed at Cottonwood Condos--with a friend and her 2 kids. Very nice but only worth it for a larger group. WE also stayed at teh Old Town Bungalow. Very pretty but unkid friendly stairs. This property management company has been great to work with and I recommend them highly!!