Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Mistaken for famous person on travels? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/mistaken-for-famous-person-on-travels-563366/)

MaryJoMargaux Oct 9th, 2005 06:34 AM

Mistaken for famous person on travels?

Just reading through the thread about bumping into someone famous whilst travelling, etc....

I'm from the UK and I travel certain parts of the USA both for work and leisure. It's only in the USA that total strangers, and others, frequently mistake me for the Senator for New York State. I was once asked why I was reduced to shopping 'downmarket' in a Beall's Outlet, and, on one occasion about 3 years ago, the gentleman who stopped me suggested that I get a little more political experience under my belt before I had the temerity to stand for election as a senator. It took a while before he was convinced I was not who he thought I was. I was amused, he was embarrassed, but we ended up shaking hands and having a laugh.

Not sure if this is a compliment or a bit of a hazard. Here in England, not many folk know who she is but I reckon she ain't so bad and, undaunted, I shall continue my explorations of the USA.

Who else has been mistaken for someone else?

Best wishes

Mary

Pis_Pistofferson Oct 9th, 2005 07:52 AM

Being handsome is a blessing and a curse. While traveling, I am frequently mistaken for the angrier twin brother of a semi-famous singer whose career peaked in the 1970s.

Eeva Oct 9th, 2005 08:06 AM

In the 80s while leaving a hotel on Long Island, a very flustered bell hop came running over to our car saying "Excuse Miss Simon, may I please have your autograph?" My sister who had always beentold that she looked quite a bit like Carly Simon tried to politely explain that she was not who he thought she was. He looked devastated and we were never sure if he really believed her or thought Carly Simon was just blowing him off.

As for me, it is a bit of a nuisance when I travel to constantly explain that I am not Cindy Crawford. :S-

desertduds Oct 9th, 2005 08:17 AM

While visiting in an Ireland monestary, an Irish man came up and asked if I was Barbara Bush, a compliment to be sure, though she is quite a few years older than I...we got a huge laugh!!! Nothing like a big fat momma with white hair to start the rumors!!

jorr Oct 9th, 2005 08:53 AM

Mary, seams like all you would need to do is say one sentence and they could spot your British accent. Hillary doesn't have a British accent.

suzanne Oct 9th, 2005 09:25 AM

Not while traveling, but here at home. I was at a bar/restaurant with a friend when a small group of Japanese tourists approached me and asked for my autograph. I played along and scribbled something random. Then each had their picture taken with me. I never found out who they thought I was, but it was fun being a "celebrity" for the evening! :)

LLindaC Oct 9th, 2005 10:07 AM

I'm a musician for a living who also sings....that puts me near stages often. I have been mistaken for Debby Boone more than once, and even heard it again last week, LOL.

OneWanderingJew Oct 9th, 2005 10:13 AM

I've never been mistaken for anyone famous but a couple of times people have mistaken me for someone the knew at another point in their life.

Do you think my parents had twins and gave one of us up for adoption? :D

LoveItaly Oct 9th, 2005 10:21 AM

LOL, OWG, well if they did they "kept" the best one and that is for sure! Uuuuhm, have you questioned your dear father about this ;;)

BTilke Oct 9th, 2005 11:45 AM

When we was younger, my FIL was often mistaken for Danny Kaye. Once he actually ran into DK in the bar at the Paris Ritz. DK was amazed by his German double and actually followed him out into the street.

BTilke Oct 9th, 2005 11:46 AM

When "he" not "we" was younger of course. Although I was definitely MUCH younger then, in fact not even born :-)

Jocelyn_P Oct 9th, 2005 12:29 PM

My dear departed grandfather was commonly mistaken for Gavid McCloud, the Captain of the Love Boat TV show. He would play along, shake their hands, have his picture taken with them, and even sign autographs. Imagine their surprise when the name he wrote was not the one they were expecting!

Little_Man Oct 9th, 2005 12:35 PM

when I was younger, (and she was too), I was mistaken for Susan St. James a few times...

LoveItaly Oct 9th, 2005 01:06 PM

What a great thread!! Thanks for all the laughs!!! TV can never compete with you Fodorites :-P

MelissaHI Oct 9th, 2005 01:14 PM

Not me, but one of our friends is 72 years old and still statuesque and drop dead gorgeous. She still dresses fabulously all the time as well. Once while vacationing in California, two women came up to her in a restaurant and asked, "Excuse me....but are you a movie star?" And she batted her eyes and sighed, "Oh, honey, not anymore."

ha ha!

Patrick Oct 9th, 2005 01:27 PM

Well, it certainly is a problem for me. If one more person stops me and thinks I'm Brad Pitt I'm not sure what I'll do.

Wayne Oct 9th, 2005 01:57 PM

Patrick, that's a real laugher, 'cause we all know what you look like. On a more serious note, quite a few years ago I was mistaken frequently (when I was doing a lot of business travel to Los Angeles) for Johnny Carson. In fact, several people were actually insulted when I insisted I was not--they really thought I (Johnny) just wanted to avoid them.

After Johnny's demise, no one has made that mistake.

Lacal Oct 9th, 2005 02:01 PM

I have been stopped at airline security because of my likeness to
Pervez Musharraf the President of Pakistan. I have sinced shaved my mustache.

Patrick Oct 9th, 2005 02:18 PM

Oh wait a minute. Maybe that was Zazu Pitts, not Brad Pitt.

LoveItaly Oct 9th, 2005 02:34 PM

Good grief Patrick, I hope not! Didn't she die in the early 1960's?? Or maybe you get jetlag really really bad...if so you must always start flying first class. That might help a little, LOL. Take good care dear one.