Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Missouri in late September (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/missouri-in-late-september-1669159/)

Pokerguy Jul 7th, 2019 11:01 AM

Missouri in late September

How's the weather conditions for a road trip in Missouri in mid to late September? Maybe the last week of the month? I'd like to fit in a visit to a few more MLB stadiums and I just saw some good airfare options for Kansas City. I was thinking that I could get in a Royals game and a Cardinals game. Is it worth making a loop through Branson, Missouri as well? And someone mentioned Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Anything that a 50+ year old couple should plan on seeing along the drive around the state? A few days in each location enough time to take in the highlights?

5alive Jul 7th, 2019 07:42 PM

The Truman Presidential Library is in Independence, Missouri, and is excellent.

I have not seen it, but Scott Joplin's house in St Louis is a national landmark.

rachellynn99 Jul 8th, 2019 05:38 AM

In my opinion, Eureka Springs isn't worth a detour. Some old buildings, a "haunted" hotels, and a few weird shops. The city council voted a while back to make marijuana offenses of "lowest priority" and lots of tokers just walk around smoking. It's not uncommon to smell or see marijuana while in downtown. Just depends if that is your cup of tea or not.
Branson may have some shows you would enjoy- some great acts and a Biblical play that's wonderful- right now it's "Samson". Silver Dollar City should be decked out for Fall by then and is wonderful and beautiful that time of year. If you or your wife is a Laura Ingalls Wilder Fan then make a stop at Rocky Ridge Farm in Mansfield Missouri to see a nice museum and the house she lived in when she wrote the Little House books.

Bitter Jul 8th, 2019 10:36 AM

Could still be pretty hot in September. Too bad you can't fly in one city and out the other. I like traveling to KC. The WW I museum in KC is excellent, and the Nelson Adkins (sp?) art museum is really nice. Although maybe not your think, but I heard they did a (national) screen shot of the Power and Light District Women's World Cup Watch party, which is cool for KC. (Power and LIght is basically a restaurant/bar development across the street from the Sprint center.)

sludick Jul 8th, 2019 11:06 AM

Here's another vote for the WWI museum; don't miss it if you can possibly go (and allow a few hours). Also in KC, I enjoy the Steamboat Arabia museum. Gives you a good view of the history of Missouri River travel back in the day. https://www.1856.com/

sunbum1944 Jul 8th, 2019 02:53 PM

And of course don't miss out on the BBQ- I like Jack Stack and Joe's
My favorite part of Missouri is the Arcadia Valley south of St Louis. Ulysses S Grant received his commission here during the civil war and there are the remnants of an old fort, cannon ball hole in the court house, Elephant Rocks, Johnson Shut In, Black River, float trips. Total different experience than Branson and Eureka Springs though. In Bonne Terre you can visit an old mine that has been filled with water and scuba dive and snorkel through the shafts. We just did the walking tour. Should be beautiful the end of September, but not peak colours. Enjoy

Pokerguy Jul 8th, 2019 03:07 PM

Sunbum1944 - No chance that we would be missing out on the bbq...that might be the only thing we eat on a visit, since I'd have numerous places that I'd want to try!

doug_stallings Jul 9th, 2019 05:22 AM

The Ozarks are a great location in late September. The weather should be fine. However, you need to be aware that "making a loop" through Branson and Eureka Springs is a big detour from either St. Louis or Kansas City. It's at least 4.5 hours from St. Louis, 3.5 to 4 hours from Kansas City.

I disagree that Eureka Springs isn't worth your time. It's quite lovely. But there's a lot to see in both Kansas City and St. Louis, and I probably wouldn't bother making the extra trip south if it were me.

sludick Jul 9th, 2019 06:22 AM

I stumbled across the Louisburg Cider Mill one October, when I was in the KC area on business for a few weeks a few years back and just taking a random drive in the country south of KC. There are others, I'm sure, but this one gets great reviews. Out in country, great way to soak up the fall harvest feeling. Try the apple cider donuts.

https://louisburgcidermill.com/

lynni Dec 4th, 2023 01:39 PM

Poker guy- did you take this trip? Am considering for myself and my baseball loving son this September! Let me know how it went!

Pokerguy Dec 4th, 2023 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by lynni (Post 17515127)
Poker guy- did you take this trip? Am considering for myself and my baseball loving son this September! Let me know how it went!

Hi - No, after too many negative posts about the weather conditions that time of year, we decided that we'd wait and hit the area one spring. Instead, that fall, we wound up knocking off the stadiums for Cincinnati, Cleveland and Pittsburgh. It was a wonderful time in mid/late September in that area. In addition to the stadiums, we fit in lots of other sights and activities, including a stop in Kentucky for the Louisville Slugger Factory, racing at Churchill Downs and the Bourbon Trail. Hope you and your son enjoy a fun baseball trip!