Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Mission Hills/San Diego Restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/mission-hills-san-diego-restaurants-756643/)

annetti Dec 13th, 2008 12:42 PM

Mission Hills/San Diego Restaurants

Have you any suggestion for healthy and/or vegetarian cooking in the Mission Hills area of San Diego?
We will have a car, so we don't mind a short drive, too. Medium range prices would be a plus, too.
Thanks in advance for your help. Annetti

annetti Dec 14th, 2008 06:29 AM

Any suggestions out there?

ncounty Dec 14th, 2008 07:10 AM

The most notable restaurant I know of in Mission Hills is Parallel 33. I think it is rather high end.

Very close by is Hillcrest and there are lots of good restaurants in that area. I don't know vegetarian places specifically.

annetti Dec 14th, 2008 07:17 AM

Thank you, ncounty. We'll be in town 5 days after the New Year, so the name is helpful as is an area in which to search out places to eat. Have you eaten at Parallel 33? Would you recommend it?

LSky Dec 14th, 2008 07:33 AM

You won't have any trouble finding vegetarian food in Mission Hills/ Hillcrest area. There's the Bombay Cafe on 4th or 5th. Indian food, very good. The Whole Foods on 7th and University has take out.
Any of the restaurants in the area will have a vegetarian selection, I'm sure.

One of my favorite Veg rest. is a bit further afield in Normal Heights Adams Ave and 35th or 36th- Jyoti-Bihanga.

Veg-N-Out on University and 30th someone told me about this place, haven't eaten there. I just can't get excited about something that's supposed to be a hamburger that isn't. I'd just eat the burger but I've spent enough years being a vegetarian to appreciate the cuisine.

LSky Dec 14th, 2008 07:34 AM

Jyoti-Bihanga is pure vegetarian. No meat allowed anywhere. I've eaten there many times. Sometimes they are open for a breakfast buffet and it's yummy.

annetti Dec 14th, 2008 07:53 AM

LSky: Thanks very much for all the recommendations, most helpful. Is Jyoti-Bihanga an Indian restaurant, or does it do other cooking as well?

ncounty Dec 14th, 2008 09:31 AM

I ate there once ages ago....it was good but not memorable. A friend who is a foodie eats there regularly and raves about it.

annetti Dec 14th, 2008 09:57 AM

Thank you, ncounty for some more information on Parallel 33. We will think cautiously about whether it gets our $ or not!

Andeesue Dec 14th, 2008 11:00 AM

Kous Kous, a Moroccan restaurant on 4th Ave. in Hillcrest offers vegetarian choices. I just ate there last weekend and really enjoyed it.

For more response, try chowhound.com

ksucat Dec 14th, 2008 11:14 AM

Love Mission Hills and down the hill off Washington/India is Saffron..great Thai.
Tender Greens at Liberty Station in Point Loma..5 minutes away is excellent too.

www.tendergreensfood.com

LSky Dec 14th, 2008 12:37 PM

No, it's not primarily Indian food at all. In fact, if I wanted Indian I wouldn't go there. It wouldn't be hot enough.
They have a website www.jyotibihanga.com

itsv Dec 14th, 2008 08:50 PM

I live in MH and a lot of our places have closed recently due to redevelopment. A place called Olivetto just opened up on Washington St. and I have heard good things about it although I have not tried it. If you are willing to drive 10 minutes you have a few more choices, in Hillcrest, Hash House Agogo has good vegetarian choices as well as Cafe on Park. Abetterhalf is getting good reviews too. Also Ono Sushi is there too. In North Park, there are tons of new places that are great. try Urban Solace, SeaRocket Bistro (sounds like it and is located on 30th street), Vagabond, Janesgastropub, and Farmhouse Cafe.

I second Tender Greens in Liberty Station. We ate there last week and thought it filled in a food gap, wanting a good salad. Its like a combination of fast food and sitdown. prices are between $8 and $10 for an entree.

There is a foodie blog I read and the writer is a good source for restaurants and reviews. Check out http://aliceqfoodie.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps.

annetti Dec 15th, 2008 06:16 PM

Thank you, LSky, for answering my question on jyoti-bihanga and for the website. We will give it a try.

Also, itsv, thanks for the tons of information you provided. Tender Greens is on our list.

It looks like this thread has provided just the information we needed for our five day stay.

Thanks again, everyone.

annetti Aug 12th, 2009 04:26 PM

ttt

ksucat Aug 12th, 2009 05:07 PM

Red Door in Mission Hills just opened..where parallel 33 was.
Blind Lady Ale is good for pizza and craft beer
Burger Lounge opened in Little Italy..
Waterfront is one of my fav's.
Point Loma Seafood for lunch..
Prado in Balboa Park for lunch.
Island Prime for drinks and app's on Harbor Island/Airport
Brigantine Shelter Island for the best fish tacos everyday happy hour..

ncounty Aug 12th, 2009 05:29 PM

annetti- did your trip get postponed? Since we last discussed, I've heard great things about Farmhouse cafe from my 12 yo DS who is a budding foodie.

Ksucat- I will be dining at Red Door in September; I'd never heard of it and now I see your post on it!

annetti- there is also a Cafe India in Point Loma for Indian vegetarian food. It is just a simple strip mall location; family run, good food and value.

annetti Aug 12th, 2009 07:24 PM

ncounty, our trip did get postponed. We never made it to SD last Jan. A real disappointment at the time. I brought this thread to the top for another poster who has a trip planned to SD; I thought it might give her some ideas. SD is still on my wishlist for a visit.

ncounty Aug 13th, 2009 06:51 PM

hope you make it out here some time, annetti. :)

annetti Aug 13th, 2009 07:42 PM

Thanks, ncounty. It is definitely on our list. We are not that far away, only 2 hrs or so. No excuse not to visit SD more often.