Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Minor League baseball trip help? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/minor-league-baseball-trip-help-659095/)

cactushugger Nov 15th, 2006 07:35 PM

Minor League baseball trip help?

For his first trip after retirement my husband would like to do a tour of Minor League baseball games. He is espescially interested in the western states. Any ideas?
Good teams, great parks, beautiful areas? We will be driving. Haven't decided how long this excursion will be yet. All thoughts much appreciated.

DebitNM Nov 15th, 2006 07:56 PM

Albuquerque Isotopes! An amazing new stadium with great views of the Sandia Mountains from the seats or the sunset from the berm seats.

The team is the farm team for the Marlins. They used to be farm team for Dodgers and were called the Dukes. They are a good team, in a beautiful park with good food and a fun mascot...Orbit.

The name of the team is from the Simpsons show and a reference Homer made about a baseball team. It also ties in to Los Alamos.

A trip to ABQ and surrounding area is one you should add to your must see list.

http://www.albuquerquebaseball.com/

I have a lot of threads on here about visiting ABQ and the 4 corners area. Click on my name to find. If you can't find them, I'll link them on here.

Hope this helps...
Debi

ElendilPickle Nov 15th, 2006 10:45 PM

Darn it, Debi, you beat me to it! :-D

Definitely come to Albuquerque and take in a game at Isotopes Park. The sunset reflecting off the Sandias is beautiful.

Albuquerque is hosting the 2007 AAA all-star game July 7-11, which would be a great time to visit.

Lee Ann

cactushugger Nov 16th, 2006 05:33 AM

Great reply Debi and Lee Ann. I've only been to ABQ once. Loved the area and would welcome a trip back. Didn't know about your ball park. Sounds wonderful! Thanks!

Anyone else want to chime in?

bennnie Nov 16th, 2006 07:27 AM

This sounds like a great trip. I love minor league baseball but all my limited experiences have been east of the Mississippi so it won't help much. But in case your husband ever decides to travel east...

The Memphis Redbirds are the Triple A affliate of the Cardinals and have a beautiful park in downtown Memphis. Great food and the only cheerleaders in professional baseball.

The Boston Red Sox affliates are all terrific fun. Single A has the Lowell Spinners in their beautiful field on the banks of the Merrimac River. Almost always a sell out. Double A is up in Portland Maine - the Sea Dogs - owned by Stephen King. There's a lighthouse that emerges from behind center field when the hometeam hits a homer. And the Pawtucket, RI PawSox are the Triple A team. Stadium isn't great but the play on the field is.

Have a great trip. Can't wait to read the responses of other posters.

ncgrrl Nov 16th, 2006 07:29 AM

When you come for east coast baseball trip, stop by the Durham Bulls Athletic Park in Durham, NC. AAA Affiliate of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

However, it is not the stadium used in the movie "Bull Durham" It's nearby.

enzian Nov 16th, 2006 08:24 AM

Hi cactushugger---if you head north to Washington state, you can see the Tacoma Rainiers (AAA) play at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma:
http://www.tacomarainiers.com/

A lot of our friends say they enjoy the Rainiers' game more than the Mariners (especially these days).

You could combine this with a visit to the Chihuily Glass Museum in Tacoma, and Mt. Rainier itself. And you could continue an hour north to Everett and watch the AA team, the Everett Aquasox:
www.aquasox.com

And if you enjoy horseracing, there is a very nice racetrack between Tacoma and Seattle:
http://www.emdowns.com/

BTilke Nov 16th, 2006 08:52 AM

The Eugene Emeralds should definitely be on your list. Nice park, beautiful setting. The stadium is one of the oldest in minor league baseball.
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...x.jsp?sid=t461
Then head up to the Cascades for the Bend Elks, great place to enjoy the sunset and the game. Beautiful part of the country.
http://www.bendelks.com/

ElendilPickle Nov 16th, 2006 02:49 PM

I don't have time to look up the website, but Google "Pacific Coast League" and you'll find all the AAA teams in the West.

Lee Ann

offlady Nov 16th, 2006 04:19 PM

It's probably not on your route, but the Louisville Slugger Field, home of the Louisville Bats (Cincinnati's minor league team) has been called the most beautiful minor league field in the country. We were there in July, and although I haven't been to other minor league fields, this one is nice.

BuffaloGirl Nov 16th, 2006 05:24 PM

If you every do an east coast minor league trip, consider Dunn Tire Park in downtown Buffalo. Farm team for the Cleveland Indians. It's one of the biggest minor league stadiums with seating for 20,000+! The games are a lot of fun (and I hate baseball), especially the July 4th celebration. The night games always have fireworks all summer long.

You can spend time in Buffalo and Niagara Falls before or after the game!

andrews98682 Nov 16th, 2006 05:31 PM

The stadium in Round Rock is supposed to be spectacular. Also, a trip through the Pacific Coast League would bring you to or near some great areas like Portland, which has a dumpy old stadium but is in a nice city. You could go to the coast from there or Eugene. Tacoma puts you near Seattle and not too far from Vancouver. I think Fresno has a PCL team, which would mean an easy side trip to Yosemite. There are also numerous complexes in the Phoenix and Tucson areas.

janisj Nov 16th, 2006 07:22 PM

Up and down the west coast through 3 or 4 PCL cities would be perfect. Sacramento Rivercats (Oakland A's AAA team) play in a great park - Raley Field. It is right on the river and across from the Old Sacramento historic district. And being just 90 miles up the road from Oakland - they get a lot of the A's onn rehab assignments etc.

Then up into Portland and on to WA State. Would be a great summer trip.

KathyK Nov 16th, 2006 07:36 PM

I second Buffalo Girl's suggestion of the Buffalo Bison AAA team and all that there is to do around the Buffalo/Niagara region.

janisj Nov 16th, 2006 08:24 PM

&quot;<i>He is especially interested in the western states.</i>&quot;

&quot;<i>I second Buffalo Girl's suggestion of the Buffalo Bison AAA team and all that there is to do around the Buffalo/Niagara region. </i>&quot; Yeah, I get it, WESTERN New York state :)

Though I don't think that is what cactushugger had in mind . . . .

Actually, cactushugger - your choices are pretty much limitless. Just pick a more specific region and then we can give you specific suggestions. As it is you are going to get a really looooong list of possibilities . . . . . .

KathyK Nov 17th, 2006 04:19 AM

janisj: why didn't you pick on everyone who offered suggestions in the eastern portion of the US? The OP said her husband is &quot;especially&quot; not &quot;only&quot; interested in the western states. Just trying to offer ideas.

Kal Nov 17th, 2006 10:03 AM

Ditto janis on the Rivercats in Sacto.
Get seats on the 3rd base side for night games, tho. The summer sun will killya along the 1st base side.

And the views of the city are nice from the 3rd base side.

We stay at the Embassy Suites or Priceleine it for the Hyatt or Sheraton Grand and walk across the bridge over the Sacramento River.
Old Town for a pre-game dinner or post game cocktail is nice too.

Downtown Plaza is also a short walk away.

I hear a lot of good stuff about the Stockton Ports' new field....but hey...it's still in Stockton! :-&quot;

OK now JJ...go back and pick on the other posters and make it right. [-X

cactushugger Nov 17th, 2006 11:12 AM

Wow! Thanks everybody. To think I was worried no one would reply!

Our trip will most likely include stops in Colorado and Idaho where we have family. Other possibilities include Wyoming, Montana, Oregon, and, who knows? We also truly LOVE the desert southwest. (That's why I'm cactushugger!) Have gone to Spring training games in both Phoenix and Tucson. I'd go back in a heart beat...New Mexico too.
However, we

We live in Virginia so will be driving crossing many states on our trip west. No route has been chosen yet. Soooo, I'm enjoying hearing about all of those special parks along the way. Too, something tells me this will not be our ONLY baseball road trip. I don't think Bob has ever seen a ball game he didn't like.

Thanks again. Please, keep 'em coming!

mms Nov 17th, 2006 12:09 PM

enzian already mentioned the Everett Aquasox, but I agree. Always lots of fun!

In Portland, OR there are the Portland Beavers.

CAPH52 Nov 17th, 2006 12:11 PM

These would probably both be out of your way, but just to add to your list!
We've had great fun at a Toledo Mudhens game and Kane County Cougars (western suburbs of Chicago) games.

Sounds like a really fun trip! Enjoy!