Reload this Page >

Need help from all of you Charleston experts

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:44 AM
KandKmom

I am in dire need of help in making a decision between the two hotels I have ressies for in Charleston. Here's the info and then you can bombard me with your advice!
2 adults, 2 kids- ages 12 and 8. One night stay. Watching our pennies- two school teachers. Never been to Charleston before. Shem Creek Inn or Mills House Hotel. Both hotels same rate. Mills House-kids eat free, mom and dad don't. Shem Creek-free deluxe continental brkfst. Parking at Mills House 17.00 a day! Free parking at Shem Creek.
I guess my concerns are is the free breakfast and parking enough to choose to be in Mount Pleasant and not in the historic district? How expensive will breakfast be for my husband and I at the Mills House? Do you need to pay to park in the historic district anyway? I joined the Holiday Inn Priortiy Rewards program online. Does this give us a break on anything? We also belong to AAA. Thanks for taking time to read through all of this and for your help!

Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't know the rate you're paying, but you might want to look into the embassy suites in chas historic distrcit - a little more room and it's in the historic district and has the free bfast. (you do have to pay for parking). mt pleasant is pretty far from downtonw - 15 - 20 minute drive. i don't think it's worth it because when you drive in, you'll have to pay to park to do anything. embassy suites usually has a AAA rate - go to their website directly for best rates. have fun - charleston is a wonderful city with lots to do. i'd take the kids to see the hunley submarine while you're there - a fascinating piece of history.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 05:02 AM

I would stay in the historic disctrict. Yes, as far as I know, if you drove in from Mt. Pleasant you would have to either park and pay in a public garage or look for on street parking, which doesn't bother me much, but for some reason I can actually parallel park. Even then you have to feed the meters.

Charleston is SUCH a great walking city, it's a shame not to take advantage.

As for breakfast, I prefer not to eat in hotels anyway. I would suggest either a late breakfast/brunch at somewhere like Poogan's porch that will last you through lunch or a quick bite at Starbucks or a pastry shop. If you are going to eat lunch you don't want to fill up. Sometimes I just bring Powerbars and fruit with me.

Another though: last summer at Charleston Place my friend and I were extra nice to the bellboy and he gave us a Key to the Club floor elevators where there was food and drink out all day. Maybe you could ask sweetly for an upgrade if they have something like that at Mills House. You never know!

Go to the Aquarium!
Old May 22nd, 2003, 08:46 AM
GoTravel

Mills House. The Embassy is a little far out of the Historic distric. Shem Creek would be a pain.

Old May 22nd, 2003, 09:17 AM

Another vote for Mills, especially if you only have one night. It has a great location in the historic district and that is where you want to be. Once you park your car you will be able to walk to just about everything. We're back from Charleston just a few weeks and we loved it. Enjoy!
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:57 PM

The Day's Inn is across from the market, has free parking, and has AAA rates. It is in a restored older building and is quite nice. We heard that the restaurant on the premises was not good and did not try it. We ate breakfast twice at Poogan's Porch and once at a small restaurant down the street.

Be sure to get some pralines at the Charleston Candy Shop on the left hand side of the market down toward the end. They give a free sample and a free half-pound for each pound you buy. Then you can go home and try to lose those pounds.

We enjoyed the Museum of Charleston and bought the combination ticket to see an additional two houses. Have fun. I love Charleston.