Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Minnesota Bound-Where is the best ice cream? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/minnesota-bound-where-is-the-best-ice-cream-534285/)

cmcfong Jun 5th, 2005 04:23 AM

Minnesota Bound-Where is the best ice cream?

My husband and I are headed to Minneapolis/St. Paul this week. We will be driving up to the North Shore and staying at Blue Fin Bay resort. Thank you to all the folks who have helped us plan our trip. Any great places for ice cream or milkshakes along our way?

laurelee Jun 5th, 2005 11:04 AM

I'm not even sure of the name of this place...maybe someone else can help though. In Duluth, near the lake, there is a tiny little place called the Malt Shoppe or something like that. It has malts/shakes of every flavor and you are able to get a great view of the lake there besides. I wish I could be more clear but I'm sure someone else can help out with the specifics.
Have a great trip to Bluefin..we've been there several times and love it!

JulieVikmanis Jun 5th, 2005 12:04 PM

Grand Ole Creamery at 750 Grand Ave. in St. Paul. They make their own waffle cones and the smell is intoxicating. Giant, old fashioned scoops with lines out the door waiting for more. I think Bon Apetit or a similar mag just endorsed them as among their top 10 ice cream places in the US>

cmcfong Jun 5th, 2005 12:14 PM

Thanks a million, both of you. We will try and find both of your suggestions.

cmcfong Jun 5th, 2005 12:15 PM

Just out of curiosity, Laurelee, did you eat at the Blue Fin main dining room? We have been told it is absolutely awful. Just curious what your experience was.

laurelee Jun 10th, 2005 03:50 PM

Yes, we have eaten at this dining room several times. I don't know, the views are nice, but it's very expensive and the food is hit or miss. I would not describe it as awful, but for the money, I'm not sure it's worth it.
We love eating at the Coho-love there pizza and pastas and never tire of that. We also go up to Grand Maria(sp?)
annd eat at the Angry Trout once or twice.
I do think breakfast at the main lodge in Bluefin Bay is pretty good...especially the wild rice pancakes.
Hope I'm not too late getting back to you.

cmcfong Jun 13th, 2005 12:29 PM

Hi Lauralee, I had already left on my trip to Minnesota when you posted your response. As it happens I had seen several reviews damning the food at the Blue Fin so we never even tried it. We did go to the Angry Trout, which was absolutely marvelous, and the Scenic Cafe just out of Duluth towards Two Harbors on the scenic road, also fabulous. I will post a full trip report in a couple of days. We found Sherry's Ice Cream in Ely to be very good homemade ice cream, just to keep up with this thread.
Thanks, Everyone, for all the suggestions for our trip.

laurelee Jun 13th, 2005 06:12 PM

Sorry I missed you. Hope you had a great trip to Minnesota! We have spent several summers in the Bluefin area and love it.
Yes, the Scenic Cafe has great food-glad you tried it.
I haven't had the ice cream you mentioned but will next time around!

cmcfong Jun 14th, 2005 06:14 AM

Oh yes, it was a super trip. We enjoyed ourselves very much. Thanks for all the information.