Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Minneapolis Trip Report- counting 300,000 Mauer Shirts in less than 5 days!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2010, 12:24 PM
JJ5
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This trip was better than anticipated. Just packed with activity.

As I am off onto the highways again before the day is out- I just want to give MN its well deserved due- before I am more than 3 states away in the other direction.

Memory is best when not in the distance, as well.

We flew. SW and only 1 hr. 15 minute flights. The flight there was actually 20 minutes early, a record for the pilot. He told us so.

Now we need to figure out how to get to Midway airport in less time than that. The ride to the airport took twice as long as the flight because of the god awful traffic, road construction, and just regular negligence and absence of signs and authority that exists on the South side of Chicago.

Well, we got there. I tried to follow the directions to the Light Rail Transit given to me by a Fodorite for MN airport. But they did not work. We were in Terminal #2. But after some detour walking -about 8 blocks at least- we found the stop. They are putting in a walking bridge between the terminals and because of that we had to go up three times in order to go back down twice. After baggage too. That's not good- but we were in no hurry.

And thus we took the train in to the Nicolett Mall stop and then within 50 more feet took the free bus down to the hotel from there. It was spectacular value and fast service. The only American city I have been in within the last 20 years that did not require, at some point, a taxi during the entire stay. Not even to the airports or more far-flung locations. When all is completed, it won't be as long as a walk, either. I'm sure you can't get everywhere, of course- but where we wanted to go- we got there. Sans taxi or personal rental car.

Minneapolis has the most unique and wonderful bicycle system, as well. There are stations countless places. You swipe a c.card at one, take your bike and leave it at another. And/or can do it (rent- CHEAPLY) all day or piecemeal or whatever. We were flummoxed. Just like with the transit system- rail #55 Hiawatha. In all that time and with the entire length trip out to Mall of the Americas, they never "checked", nor did we see anyone else get checked for tickets. It's "On your honor". They also bike ride IN the traffic, and have a separate bicycle lane on many streets. Which they sometimes do not stick within, either.

We laughed and laughed. S.O. looked at the bikes closely. We had a bet on how long they would last if that bike program was instituted within Chicago. We gave the bike seats about 18 hours and the bungies and baskets and fender structures between 24 and 30. All that would be left would be the frame and the hook after 48..

What we saw:

2 MN Twins games. One in the Legends seats and one in the near field beyond 1st base.
WE LIKED THE SECOND SEATS BETTER!

Walker - and the Sculptor Park

Loring Park Greenway and that whole walk down and ride your bikes around the lakes area from that point.

Nicolett Mall- the entire and the complete day's Farmers Market on Thursday (it's a street, not a mall- go figure).

Mall of the America (didn't shop at all but viewed SALT at the theatre)

1-1/2 hour trip throughout the suburbs and to Mystic Lake and another different one back (this was provided gratis and LOVED it- this views)

This is a baseball city on the scale of St. Louis, IMHO. There are 358,000 people in Minneapolis and on any one summer day, you might be able to count Joe Mauers, up to about 300,000. Not just on shirts, on everything. They have baseball statues on corners throughout the city. We happened to run into Joe Mauers at least 3 times. The 2008 Joe Mauer, or the 2009 Joe Mauer, or the just plain Joe Mauer. We ran into Kirby Puckett's and lots of others too. Even a Morneau.

We saw by count. (My SO is a count and numbers person.) 22. Yes, 22 replays of the Thome walk off homerun against the White Sox. It was the first walk off in that new stadium. (Yes, they got all the way to August!). And it occurred the day we landed. So they were either showing a replay or the helicopter with Favre returning (same day too) for the next 3 days. They showed it every inning of the game the next night too. No weather, little other news except for one shooting on TV. Just the replay and the Favre sightings at least once an hour. I'm not kidding.

BTW, their weather forecasts had rain 70% showing on the Weather channel for 3 solid days. It never rained once.

We won one game 11-0 and lost the other 7-6 in extra innings. But both games were good expierences. The new park is terrific except for the exit areas to the upper and higher quality legends seats. They are staircases. We were stuck with about 3000 people in one narrow staircase for at least 20 minutes. It took us longer to get out of the stadium than it did to either get to a train, or to walk. We just walked home. About 9 blocks. The next night they told us it was that way because of some downed and out of commision escalators. But then I read, and heard- that it IS a problem.

Most other stadiums have long ramped areas. Those staircases opening at each level are right in front of where they hold for the handicapped elevators (which blocked the staircase turn-arounds) and are a HORRIFIC design flaw.

I give myself a medal for doing all this, including the bike rides and at least 4 to 10 miles of walking every day. Why? Because I broke my toe about 1 week before this. But tape works. And I was a fashion faux pas, but I was walking. But no, I take the medal away, because 2 days after I got home I fell big time in the garden on the fencing and re-injured it as well as taking all the skin off my knees, most of one arm. But am nearly repaired now- although now I have 3 taped toes. It was SO stupid to carry that many cucumbers at once. Clutz MEDAL is what I should get!

Regardless- some high lights of the games were the TERRIFIC fans around us who were nosey, vocal and constantly questioning. I just loved them. They and Kansas City are absolute 10's. The second night I had a doctor from a local ER sitting right next to me. He was hysterical. Told me all about the Pabano mustache thing (even kids and old women like me were wearing black mustaches)and also about the state of Minneapolis in general. Big kiss to him!!! Smack!

Both nights people asked me if I liked the Green Bay Packers. When I said no, they always seemed to be relieved.

Some highlights:
Millenium's great beds. Too mushy for SO's taste and I love a rock hard mattress- but liked these. Millenium had a great location and was superb in the services they offered us- including that long bus transit connection upon asking.

FAB restaurants. Hell's Kitchen was a repeat. Oceanaire was good. First repeat we have ever done on a vacation or city trip.

Hell's Kitchen- lovely and most perfect Egg Benedict I have ever had.
- BEST Lobster Taco made on this earth. Better than Bayless.

I went and told the chef so and our waiter came and sat and talked to us for 20 minutes on a Friday night. Long story! But he ended up giving me 2 great jars of Hell's Kitchen Rib Rub and some home made peanut butter for the inquiry and violet letter I sent about him. Freebies. He was a chef himself in NYC and left it and told me way. Said he wanted to be home and in a USER FRIENDLY environment. Also the same for his 4 year old son. I could definitely understand that.

Saw the Mary Tyler Moore Statue throwing up her cap. Honestly, it was the only thing on the streets that didn't have a baseball or Joe Mauer on it.

Everywhere we went, people stopped us to talk when they saw my purse and earrings, especially. We kept running into the same Chicago/Naperville couple everywhere. We finally went for a walk together that last night's game. Saw them again on the plane the next day. LOL! We also ate together with a 30 something couple from a Minneapolis suburb at Ichiban. They were just delightful. Very friendly and full of good baseball and hair dressing stories. She helped me with accent hilarity. She did NOT have one. She said she worked in the South for 3 years at the end of her 20's and lost it.

BTW, this accent- for some reason is SO much more pronounced in the women than in the men. There is a higher pitched ending thing too going on- and sometimes I do not know if they are asking a question or just finishing their point. But there are a goodly number- and I'm not kidding- that sound identical to Sarah Palin. But with the endings like the woman cop in Fargo. I find it tends to make me laugh. And I had to truly reign myself in, as I know that it is rude. Sometimes I felt like the Mary Tyler Moore Show crowd at Chuckle's funeral.

Most blue eyes in rows, I've ever seen in one place. All colors of blue. Even blue-white- sort of like Ray Liotta (sp?).

STADIUM BEST AWARD-**** Absolutely for the BEST Bloody Mary. It is served in the Legends. It's $12 but it is worth it. And also is a meal if you take it with the beef stick stirrer.

It was hot the entire time. And yet the buses, train were airy and temperature cooler- and in our eyes, under populated. NO LINES. NO crowds- not even in rush hour. Not in any restaurant either- regardless of reservation only reputation or not. We got into Ichiban without any reservation and had table top cooking within 10 minutes. No traffic to speak off. Just beautiful, user friendly service, streets, scrappers, landscapes- waiting for you to use. VERY DIFFERENT THAN SOME OTHER CITIES in the USA for tourist OR native access.

I was pan-handled 3 times on Nicolett. Twice by girls who told me they were homeless and wanted the Panera pkg I was carrying. One had a large jewel in her navel.

Love, love, LOVED= the wonderful walkways- about 3rd story level between all the buildings over nearly every downtown street- in all 4 directions. Although most of the streets are 1 way- this has got to be fab in winter.

But most remarkable is the cleanliness. The first two days we did not see one bottle, can, piece of paper- anywhere. DOWNTOWN, UPTOWN< Airport- you name it. I finally saw a cup near a railroad yard on the 3rd day. LOL!

Not like home, where except for about a 10 block upscale area when the Mayor shows up, gutters and garbage just don't start with the same letter.

Minneapolis also power washes. We saw it going on for hours every night, but on the Nicolett Mall - 14 blocks or so of it- up and down for nearly an entire day after the Thursday Farmers Market is held there.

People do not walk with the signals that they get on the traffic signs though. And also in the free buses, regardless of how many times they must read it- they still walk right in front of the bus after exiting. I'm surprised there are not more dead Minneapolis riders. It only has to be because the drivers themselves are so patient and caring. They actually give directions, as well. And oftentimes even talk, without you ASKING a question. No, Dorothy, we are not in IL any more.

Oh yes, at Mystic Lake we both WON. We actually came home from this trip with more money than we had when we left. My SO, with much more.

Now, we REALLY need to get lucky and win the division- beating them 3 games mid- September. It will take luck. Our Bullpen is a tanker leaking oil. Manny is not going to fix that, but I'm hope I'm wrong.

Took the free bus and the train back to the MN airport with the luggage in pull-tow. And had a good lunch too- pulled pork- in their sit down restaurant there. Never spent more than $6 a day on transport. THANK YOU, posters who told me particulars about the light rail.

Now I'm off in the opposite direction- ONCE AGAIN.

I pictured MN as green as MI. Near Minneapolis, and maybe it is because of the rainfall this year or whatever,it truly was not. It is hillier than I thought it was, also- just there near the twin cities.

Nothing yet has come close to the 1000 green shades of my deep woods Michigan- with the light coming sideways between the densely packed 150 or 200 foot trees. Not even in Europe. I was expecting at least 500 shades of green and something quite similar. But it was quite different than I pictured it to be. Many lakes had algae and there were significant areas of marshland everywhere- but it wasn't the green of my greens. Off I go to pack enough food for 16.

Go, if you have a chance. It's a spa.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 12:31 PM

Glad you had a great trip, nice report. We also enjoyed Minneapolis when we visited last year, beyond our expectations.

Too bad about those brutal Winters, you got out just in time.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 12:36 PM

Sounds like a great trip. i need to get back there now that there is a new stadium. I did really enjoy Minneapolis when I was there for many of the same reasons you did.

On a side note, what do you think of the White Sox getting Manny? Will be an interesting weekend in Boston for him (White Sox come to Boston this weekend)
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 01:04 PM
JJ5
Original Poster

tchoiniere, I'm the only one of my bloodline who didn't think it was a good idea. They tell me that Ozzie and Manny are such buds that it will work out. I have my doubts. Lots of reasons for my doubts. W. Sox also have strict hair cut requirements, you know. But Ozzie says he just wants Manny to be Manny. HUH! Why do somethings just not translate in this equation! What about team chemistry too. It exists.

We just went to the Patio/warning track for about 8 full hours this last Sunday( US CELLULAR)- we got the area through my son's friend who worked for years for the W. Sox. We call him our Italian George Castanza. His name is Vinnie. 11 of my family and 110 close friends. LOL! It was the Frank Thomas jersey and retirement of his number day ceremony before the Yankee game- in tandem with a dinner, one after the other. And did I hear TALK that day at the Cell!!! Too much talk! Myself, I am not my usual optimist opinion about this pick or this season either.

I wish we still had a healthy Peavy myself. Pitching matters.

BTW, I did not mention it once in my trip report. But I had LONG conversations with numerous different Minneapolis baseball fanatics about why they do 2 or 3 different things that seem rather odd and bizare to us. One of them is the boo call thing every time A. J. has his name stated. And they do some weird calls for some of their own players too. One guy told me they were the love calls. Huh!!

I feel very lucky to have gotten 4 great baseball trips in this year. I hope to do Texas next year and at least 2 others, one NL too- for sure.

Wait until next year to see the new stadium in MN. The tickets are way, way too expensive this year. And there are literally 100's of tickets available on the outside by the train station being scalped. They have not gotten proper equations worked out yet, IMHO. Something has got to change. Scalpers are selling $120 value tickets in the second inning for $40.

But Minneapolis is a truly laid back and worry free trip. As I said, it is like a spa. Extremely user friendly and much higher quality food than I had anticipated.

Frank, I used your tips. Sincerely- you were a great help. Some cities are SO much easier to navigate than others.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 10:29 PM

JJ5, glad you liked your trip to Mpls. It is a great city and we love to get back there several times a year. The many shades of green trees, etc. that you spoke of in MI is also in MN but mostly in Northern MN. If you had gone up to Duluth and then up the North Shore you would have seen lots and lots of green trees. It is beautiful. I am from MN and my husband is from MI and we love both states so much.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 04:44 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Yes, Cali, that is what I thought. My life-long BF, who was like a second Mother to me since I've been 20 (more than 40 years) came from Hibbing. HER STORIES!!

Because of that, maybe I anticipated bears outside the outhouse etc. MPLS is not that. It's form and style, in huge tracts of its area, are aesthically just excellent. Much more "of a piece" planned with each others placements in mind, than most American cities.

Also, I forgot. Baseball on the mind too much.

We spent a morning traipsing over to the Mississippi River.

It's WIDE across up there. Just as wide, if not wider than in Iowa, and other places far, far South. I was amazed. And there are land shoals and mini-islands. It has to be a skill to navigate!

MN has another wonderful natural resource. Its people.

Giving, law-abiding, caring, communicative people. With strong work ethics and respect for others. It's evident as soon as you land, but becomes more obvious with every day and place you go there.

When I was checking in my luggage to come home, the SW agent looked like a young and shorter Tyra Banks. When she slipped my Midway tag on my luggage- she said to me.

"Isn't it wonderful. All the stuff is so nice, and you can actually use it. A crowd is not a crowd. Traffic is not traffic. I've been here 3 years, and I'm still amazed every day- it was the best change I've ever made."

That came out without even a hello. So (as there was NOT a line- lol)I told her about my trying to convince my son into moving there. He'd be much better off. And he would not mind the winter. He has enough insulation and rarely even wears a coat in Chicago.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 12:06 PM
TC

JJ5, I'm so happy you had a good time in our town. It was me who gave you bad info on finding the tram at the airport. You didn't say you were coming into the Humphrey Terminal and (my bad) I didn't think to ask. Just assumed you were coming into the main International terminal and gave those directions. I apologize.

Isn't Hell's Kitchen amazing? I'd eat there every day if I could.