Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Minneapolis Foodies: Where Should I Eat? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/minneapolis-foodies-where-should-i-eat-790754/)

MollyM Jun 18th, 2009 06:08 AM

Minneapolis Foodies: Where Should I Eat?

Hello!
I'll be heading back to the Cities next week for my annual summer vacation. I lived in Minneapolis for four years and absolutely adore it. I pretty much have every detail planned for my schedule EXCEPT two meals. I'm looking to try a couple new restaurants. Of the five below, which two do you think are the best?

Azia
Barrio
Heidi’s
Moto-i
Restaurant Alma

minnehappylis Jun 18th, 2009 07:33 AM

I have only been to Alma and Azia of the 5 you have listed.
I loved Alma! I had a cherry panna cotte dessert that I still think about. :) Plus, I love the StoneArch bridge area and you could stroll afterwards.
I thought the appetizers at Azia were wonderful, but my dinner was just alright. When I go back there it will be for Happy Hour.
I see in another post we both like Birchwood and Chino Latino and French Meadow!
Kindred food spirits!
We just moved to the metro two years ago after 25 years in southern Minnesota; I am so enjoying the dining options!
Have a great visit!

MollyM Jun 18th, 2009 08:00 AM

Thanks minnehappylis! Love your name by the way! :)

I lived a block away from Alma for two years and never made it over. One of these days I will get there! It's just so hard when there are so many options! I'll be in Minneapolis for six days and have a spreadsheet planned out with all three meals and snacks for each day. There's so much I miss!

minnehappylis Jun 18th, 2009 09:36 AM

My oldest daughter lived in the apartments across the street from Alma (and a little grocery store whose name I can't remember...)while she was at the U. I treated her to Alma one night. We had such a fun night; good food and girl talk; hmmm, maybe that is why I loved it!
Have you been to Cafe Maude? Broder's Pasta Bar? Two more of my favs.
My daughter used to call her bike Minnehappylis; I stole the name from her. Thanks, I like it, too!

MollyM Jul 13th, 2009 10:46 AM

Hi Minnehappylis (and any one else who cares!)

Just wanted to let you know I tried Barrio and Brasa for my new restaurants. Barrio was fine, not as good as I was expecting for all the hype it's getting. Perhaps it was because I was there for the late night menu, but I just didn't find it that exciting.

However, Brasa in NE Minneapolis was incredible! Have you been? It's by the same people who own Restaurant Alma, but super affordable. It's a gourmet rotisserie and is my new favorite Minneapolis restaurant. Go now!

maria_so Jul 13th, 2009 11:12 AM

I LOVED Minneapolis! We visited for the first time this past May. Anyway, I tried to make reservations to Tim McKnee's La Belle Vie but it was closed for the Saturday we were there. We ended up going to Rest. Alma. It was OK. I've had better food and atmosphere. Anyway, just responded really to suggest Hell's Kitchen in downtowm Minneapolis for a great brunch! Their bison sausage bread is delish and bloody mary's are just yummy!

MollyM Jul 14th, 2009 06:48 AM

I love Hell's Kitchen! I hope you tried the peanut butter! Their huevos rancheros are to die for as well. Glad you had a great trip.

minnehappylis Jul 16th, 2009 06:00 AM

Thanks, Molly M!
Brasa is on my list! I am glad you liked it. I hope you had a good Mpls. visit!

maria_so Jul 30th, 2009 10:59 AM

MollyM - yes, and we had to buy a couple of jars of the PB to take home including the bison sausage loafs (we got 2 of those too)!