Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Mini-moon ideas for Monterey or Cambria areas or other.
Notices

Mini-moon ideas for Monterey or Cambria areas or other.

Oct 11th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Mini-moon ideas for Monterey or Cambria areas or other.

We're getting married in San Diego in March. Afterwards we would like to take a 3-4 day mini honeymoon. I was considering flying to SFO, renting a car and driving to the Monterey Bay area. We want a uber-relaxing time, including great food and drinks. I've never stayed at a fancy resort before and have my eye on Bernardus Lodge. The reviews look great and I may be able to splurge for the Luxury Spa Room vs the Premium King-- given the two day, third day free offer. Do you think it's worth the extra splurge to get the private hot tub room? There's only one vague picture of the setup, so it's hard to judge how that room differs from the others. Regardless, I wonder if this is a good deal (even with deal its $400+/nt) or if there is something that would be a more relaxing. I chose the area because I thought it would also be fun to go to the Monterey Aquarium.

Alternatively, I was thinking of renting a cottage in Cambria. This requires flying into San Luis Obispo and renting a car. From there we could visit wineries and just relax. The price tag is similar to that of the King room at Bernadus, but we could probably stay 4 nights, rather than 3. We love cooking, so that would be a benefit, but I love the idea of being taken care of in a hotel, too.

I'm sure whatever we decide it will be wonderful, but I would love some suggestions on where to stay near Monterey or Cambria, if one of these seems like a better plan, or if there is another option that might be great for our mini-honeymoon-- I thought about Mexico, but with flights it quickly exceeded budget (<3,500 and prefer less). Preferences: 3-4 nights with hotel totaling <1200, indulgent, relaxing, beautiful views, not much driving, but willing to fly, somewhat secluded, and access to great food. Thanks for advice!
Oct 11th, 2013, 02:13 PM

I haven't stayed there but friends got married at Bernardus Lodge and were treated very well. You might want to also check out Carmel Valley Ranch. I think it is a similar price range..

Another option would be to drive up the coast - stay one night in/near Santa Barbara and 3 nights in the monterey area.
Oct 11th, 2013, 04:59 PM

I'm not a big fan of Carmel Valley. I would much rather stay closer to Carmel/Monterey Peninsula itself. How about the Inn at Spanish Bay in Spanish Bay/Pacific Grove. Or Tickle Pink or Highlands Inn in Carmel.

There are direct flights from San Diego to Monterey on Alaska Airlines. Pick up a car at the Monterey airport - it is actually less expensive than getting a car at SFO.

Stu Dudley
Oct 11th, 2013, 05:37 PM

Our nephew's wedding reception was at the Bernardus Lodge and it is fabulous. Fly into Monterey on Alaska. Lots of wineries in the Carmel Valley and Santa Lucia Highlands.

Also check deals to Cabo. Here is a link to the adult only Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Resort. There may be a deal

http://www.pueblobonitopacifica.com/

Best wishes as you begin your life together.
Oct 12th, 2013, 11:58 AM

Long time ago we stayed at the Highlands Inn, fabulous place, it was midweek in May and they were not busy, managed to talk them down from $300 to $150. Restaurant is good.
Oct 12th, 2013, 03:47 PM

If you decide to get out and about on the Big Sur coastline, one idea would be to include Treebones resort near Santa Lucia/Cambria (great sushi bar and restaurant with lots of hiking and beach walks)
Oct 16th, 2013, 04:44 PM

We live in the area and love Carmel valley and Bernardus Lodge. Having said that, they are out of the main flow of Carmel, Monterey and Pacific Grove.

The Inn at Spanish Bay is fantastic. Fire pits at night while the bagpiper plays. Pacific Grove also has the Seven Gable Inn overlooking Monterey Bay that is very nice. They probably have a web site. Do a search.

One poster is correct. Do not fly into SFO as the drive to Monterey will be about 2 hours. I do it frequently. Fly into Monterey airport or at least San Jose Airport that is only about 1.5 hours to Monterey.

Search this Thread