Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Milwaukee - How to get to the Harley Davison Factory?

Jul 13th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

I will be in Chicago later this year I would like to make a day trip to Milwaukee to go to the Harley factory.

If I travel from Chicago via Amtrak or Greyhound how far is the Harley factory from the Amtrak/Greyhound station?

I do not want to rent a car can I get there and back using public transport?

Also, if I do go to Milwaukee it will be on a day trip from Chicago.
So, i will have limited time in Milwaukee.

Is this possible?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:52 AM

I don't believe the actual Harley-Davidson factory is open to the public. However, the new Harley-Davidson Museum opened this past weekend and looks to be quite the place.

http://tinyurl.com/yrxeaw

The museum is very close to the train station. I don't know about the public transportation situation (Milwaukee has buses, but I don't know the routes.) You can check with the museum itself or the Milwaukee County Transit System.

There are several Amtrak trains that run between Milwaukee and Chicago every day -- I would think a day trip would be pretty easy to do.

Hope this helps!
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:54 AM

They're 3/4 miles apart according to Mapquest. Both are just a little south of downtown. I'm assuming that you're actually talking about the new Harley Museum that just opened this past weekend. If you actually mean the factory, that's quite a bit further out. The museum is supposed to be fantastic according to the Harley fans that were there this weekend. They came from all over for the grand opening.
Jul 14th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

bk123 and coldkelly, thanks for the feedback.

I had read about the mid western states/cities many years ago when I was planning a trip. I distinctly remember reading about the Harley factory and had planned on visiting. I never had the chance to make the trip.

This year I will visit Chicago for the first time. So, I was thinking of visiting Milwaukee also. I didn't now a new museum had just opened, thanks drawing this to my attention. I'm not a huge Harley fan. I'll plan a visit to the museum instead of the factory given that the museum seems to be closer to downtown.

Jul 14th, 2008, 10:27 AM

You can indeed tour the HD factory. IT's quite a long distance north and west of downtown however but always a very popular destination every Harleyfest:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US

Other than car rental or possibly taxi, there's probably no real easy way to get there from downtown. Our mass transit system is one step away from nonexistance.
Jul 14th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Consider renting a car for the day. Cheaper than taking a cab.

Be mindful of the tour hours (9:00am-2:00pm).

I was there in January and missed the tour b/c I stopped for lunch!