Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Millionaire quiz: Which is the Southern most US state?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 11:42 PM
Millionaire

General knowledge quiz for the millionaire wannabes:

Quick,which is the southern most US state?
Please list your choice w/o giving geographical facts or correcting others. Just wanna see how many people know.I'll give you the correct answer in a couple of days.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 03:13 AM
Larry

Hawaii. Continental US, Florida.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 03:56 AM
madam

Most southern state is Florida with Key West being only 45 miles from Cuba. (most southern point of the USA

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 04:10 AM
Paul Rabe

Hawaii. I've stood at the southernmost point of the US.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 04:12 AM
abc

Key West. Duh.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 04:14 AM
Cass

Guam?

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 04:16 AM
Roger

Physically- Hawaii.
Spiritually- Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina and non-Atlanta Georgia.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 04:18 AM
Cass

Just kidding about Guam being a state, but the southernmost part of Hawaii is further south than Key West, by several degrees, is it not?

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 04:52 AM
abc

I take back my "duh" comment in my earliler post. I just asked Jeeves, and Hawaii is the southernmost state; Key West, Florida is the southernmost mainland state. Nuff said.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Bob Brown

OK, now tell us what the eastern most, northern most and western most points are. All 50 states are to be considered but no territories or possessions.
This rules out Guam, the Virgin Islands,
and any other sand spits lying around that fly the American Flag.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 05:58 AM
ncgrrl

East, west, and north in Alaska. One of the Alaskan islands is on the 'other' side of the international date line.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 08:13 AM
bob brown

Give ncgrrl a rose.
I got caught on it the first time I heard it. Even though my Dad was on Adak with the military for a brief tour, I did not wake up to the trickiness of the question.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 11:15 AM
huh

Wouldn't the Prime Meridian i.e. Greenwhich, mark the line between east and west?

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Patrick

I heard that thing about Alaska having the Eastern most point in the US also. It seems a little confusing, but if you still consider it going west after crossing the international date line, then why wouldn't we call China and Japan the Far West instead of the Far East? I guess technically going from the prime meridian (Greenwich) west to the international date line is considered Western Hemisphere and going from the prime meridian east to the international date line is considered the Eastern Hemisphere. Right? So, yes, I guess that far Aleutian island is the Easternmost point in the USA.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 06:10 PM
JJ

Patrick: you answered your own question.
China and Japan are in the easternmost part of the Eastern Hemisphere.
But if you are speaking of direction relative to the US, they seem west. But the conventions which define the hemispheres make them east without relative considerations.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 06:46 PM
Patrick

Yes, I meant to answer my own question, I think, but right now I'm so confused. I believe you have to think of easternmost and westernmost in terms of the hemispheres rather than just a direction. Otherwise you'd have to admit that New York is west of Los Angeles, because if you keep going west you'd eventually get to it. But within its own hemisphere it is more eastern. And we'd certainly not normally say that New York is further west that Los Angeles!

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 07:16 AM
joe

Part of the Aleutian chain does extend past 180 degrees weast longitude. There is no question that 174 degrees east longitude qualifies it for the eastern most point in the U.S.

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 08:27 AM
John

The International Dateline actually jogs around the 180th meridian to allow all of the Aleutian chain to be in the western hemisphere's day rather than tomorrow. Of the inhabited Aleutian islands, only Attu (only a coast guard station and occasional bird and WWII researchers) is west of the 180th. The Date Line does the same in the South Pacific to keep some of the island nations on the same day, although poor Kiribati is split, making government administration a confused thing.

US government travel reimbursement forms used to ask fliers why they didn't take the train on their government travel, and the form required that one put down the location of the nearest train station to the destination. Flying out the Aleutians, we used to put down "Vladivostok" in that space.