Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Millennium Broadway Hotel NYC? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/millennium-broadway-hotel-nyc-810284/)

GeoffS Oct 14th, 2009 09:58 AM

Millennium Broadway Hotel NYC?

Has anybody stayed here before? My wife, daughter and I are going for the weekend that they will light the Christmas tree at Rock Center. The rate is $412.00 per night. Can I do better? Is there a better choice of hotels? All hotels seem high that weekend. Thanks for the help.

nytraveler Oct 14th, 2009 04:55 PM

For a room for 3 in midtown that's not a bad price for that time of year. If you shop around and look at other areas of the city you can probably get something for a little less - but probably not much less unless you go for a VERY basic hotel. And Thanksgiving through Christmas is the most expensive time of year in NYC _ everyone wants to be here and the hotels fill up quickly - so there are very few, if any, deals.

And they don;t light the tree on a weekend - it's usually lit on a WEdnesday - this year Dec 2.

So don;t know which of the weekends you're talking about. I just looked at the website and they have prices lower than that - unless you're including the 18% tax in the price.

travelenthusiast Oct 14th, 2009 06:30 PM

We stayed there last year on a Priceline bid. The lobby has entrances on two streets in the 40's which made it very convenient to walk around. I'd stay there again. I looked into it for my most recent trip there but it was too much to book with the hotel.

GeoffS Oct 15th, 2009 02:50 AM

Thanks for the help. I will check around for a better price there. I have th ability to cancel up to 24 hrs before. We may blow off the actual tree lighting but still come up the day after. I hear it is a zoo on the night of the lighting and you stand for hours. Is that true?

Gretchen Oct 15th, 2009 04:17 AM

We stayed on a PL bid also. The rooms are small--at least ours was. And that was the rack rate posted, and what we overheard a couple paying at checkout. We were very smug with our $110 rate.
There are certainly hotels that are much less than that, even not on PL. Take a look at Hotwire too. Or hotels.com.

doug_stallings Oct 15th, 2009 05:03 AM

Yes, you have to stand for hours if you actually want to see the tree lighting. It's become quite a huge and obnoxious event. Not as bad as New Year's Eve in Times Square, but I remember when you could book a table for drinks at the Sea Grill the week before and watch from there.

This is an ok hotel, but you're probably paying a premium by coming during the week. There may be more deals on weekends, although at this time of the year, it's always expensive to come to NYC ... as several posters have said, it's the most expensive time of the year between late October and Christmas.

nytraveler Oct 15th, 2009 09:16 AM

Seeing the lighting cereony live will require standing thre for at least 4 hours - probably more. IMHO not worth it - since you can see the lit up tree and decorations afterwards for weeks. People go to see the "stars" perform - so the mobs are huge.

mclaurie Oct 16th, 2009 03:39 PM

If your dates are flexible, I'd strongly urge you to come later in Dec. when hotel prices drop dramatically (after the 17-18th). The first weekend in Dec. is probably the most expensive weekend of the year besides New Year's Eve. There's NO way to see the tree lighting live unless you have VIP seats. The event is really put on for tv and seeing it in person is almost impossible. If you still decide to come, watch it on tv and take a walk over there about 10 or 11 pm when crowds have died down a bit. If you look at hotel sales on travelzoo.com you'll get an idea of which dates are better.