Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Milepost (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/milepost-619200/)

georgel May 29th, 2006 03:56 AM

Milepost

I have been reading posts and bumped into the Road Guide, The Milepost, several times. I am wondering if I really need to purchase this as i have already wasted, in my opinion, money on "Best Places in Alaska" and another guide book that do no more than list things without rating anything or recommending anything. This forum has been far more helpful than either book. I have a good map of Alaska and will stop by visitors' centers. Do you think the milepost is a must, or can I do without it?

amwosu May 29th, 2006 04:30 AM

I personally think the Milepost is very helpful especially if you plan to do any driving whatsoever while in Alaska. Mine is actually open right now in front of the computer and I consult it constantly while planning. There are no ratings in the book but I find rating subjective anyway.

The Milepost is a bit like an atlas with a mile by mile breakdown of each road in Alaska. It even includes warnings for specific spots like "Watch for moose crossing" or "This is an avalanche prone area."

On the same page (or very close to the same page) as the mile by mile breakdown) are advertisements for businesses in that very specific area. There are waaaaay more business listed in the Milepost than what you'll find in guidebooks. Lots of mom and pop type operations. I found a teeny tiny 1/2" X 1" ad for a floatplane in the Milepost and ended up hiring the pilot to fly us from an island in the middle of Prince William Sound to Cordova. It was really gret and I wouldn't have found him without the Milepost.

When driving in Alaske my Milepost was right beside me on the car seat. I found it good for both planning the trip and then executing the drives. Go thumb through it at a book store and decide for yourself.

BudgetQueen May 29th, 2006 05:37 AM

I too, highly recommend and ALWAYS take a MILEPOST on every interior Alaska trip.

It is such a valuable reference and gives detail to plenty of stuff you are plain going to miss if you don't have it. You can pick up a copy at the Anchorage Walmart for less than $20.

Gardyloo May 29th, 2006 06:50 AM

Just a note that you can often find prior years' versions on the web for half price or less. It's a useful book, but things don't change so much from one year to the next that you need the latest and greatest.

bigtyke May 29th, 2006 06:37 PM

if you are driving, it is a must

BayouGal May 29th, 2006 06:41 PM

If you purchase the Milepost before your first trip to Alaska as you are planning, then it will probably be a great help. If you wait to use it just while traveling the first time through Alaska, I don't know if you'll find time to refer to it, or with reservations already made, if you will find it all that beneficial.

As pointed out earlier, an older version may be your best bet. Good luck with your planning!

dwooddon May 29th, 2006 06:42 PM

With the proliferation of gas stations, cafes, lodging and other tourist services, I don't think it is nearly "a must" as it used to be. Still, I carry and use it when I am in Alaska or on any of the Canadian highway approaches to Alaska.

I usually travel alone and I think it would be much more useful if I had someone with me so the passenger could use it while the other person drove.Traveling alone, I typically only open it in the evening to get a preview of the next day's drive.

amwosu May 30th, 2006 02:58 AM

I had been using the 2003 version until I picked up the 2006 edition yesterday. There is an advertisement for the Alyeska tramway that says if you show your Milepost at the ticket booth you get a 2 for 1 price for the tram.

LindainOhio May 30th, 2006 04:59 AM

They have past years' copies at our library--perhaps you may want to check it out and see if you need it. If you are driving, I would think you would want to have it.