Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   MikeT and Other DC Apartment Experts, need you ASAP (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/miket-and-other-dc-apartment-experts-need-you-asap-471483/)

peg Sep 1st, 2004 11:21 AM

MikeT and Other DC Apartment Experts, need you ASAP

Okay I might have found a place. The Windsor House. Can you tell me how far it is to the metro. I was told walking distance to the metro in DuPont Circle, but when I look at the map it looks far, but they will let me have my bird. So need your input, also if anyone can tell me anything else would be appreciated.

They have one available for when I need it on September 11th.

lisaindc Sep 1st, 2004 11:29 AM

Hi Peg, I'm not familiar with the particular building, but did they give you an address?

peg Sep 1st, 2004 11:40 AM

1444 Rhode Island Avenue NW

lisaindc Sep 1st, 2004 11:48 AM

I think you are right about it not being really close to Metro. It would certainly be do-able, but not super convenient.

Also, in searching the reviews on apartmentratings.com, it seems like there are nothing but extremely negative comments about the building itself. I know you are pressed for time, so I understand you may not find your ideal place, but based on your earlier posting, this really doesn't look like where you would be most comfortable or happy.

Like I said, I don't know the building and am just going by tenant comments on the website, but I found the website pretty accurate when I was looking for a place.

MikeT Sep 1st, 2004 12:46 PM

Calling it DuPont Circle is optimistic, since it is really closer to Logan Circle. That said, it's in a real hot neighborhood (right near Hotel Helix) that should be plenty safe. It is quickly gentrifying and should be fine.

It's probably 5 blocks to DuPont Circle Metro and maybe three blocks or so to McPherson Square.

MikeT Sep 1st, 2004 12:47 PM

It's also about 5 blocks from Farragut North or U Street/Cordoza.

Shane Sep 1st, 2004 12:53 PM

You made a good pick. Only a few blocks from Dupont, Logan and Thomas Circle. Very safe neighborhood. Five minute walk to downtown.

jnn1964 Sep 1st, 2004 01:19 PM

If you're working downtown you might be better off taking a bus, rather than walking to the Metro. I have a friend who lives on the next block and he takes the bus to work. When I Metro over there I go to McPherson Sq rather than Dupont, but it depends on where your coming from/going to.

The area is MUCH better than it was just a few years ago. There's a Whole Foods Market one block over, and several other new businesses.

Spygirl Sep 1st, 2004 01:31 PM

Shane-to call this area "very safe" is factually incorrect. There is no area within the District that would qualify for such a statement, upper NW DC in the area of Tenleytown/Wisc. Ave./upper Conn. Ave/Chevy Chase Circle is a safer area than other parts, but it too, is not "very safe."

Check out the crime statistics for the Third District up through July 2004-The Third Police District encompasses Dupont and Logan Circle-you may be surprised at the large number of crimes in all categories.

mpdc.dc.gov/info/districts/3rd/2004_07.
shtm

bardo Sep 1st, 2004 02:23 PM

Spygirl,

I'm dumbfounded by your post. ".... Tenleytown/Wisc. Ave./upper Conn. Ave/Chevy Chase Circle is a safer area than other parts, but it too, is not "very safe."

Not "very safe"? No kidding......

....Wow!

BTW, where do you live? Maybe you are just on a bad block???

rockhopper7 Sep 1st, 2004 02:29 PM

Spygirl has become the DC equivalent of the fodors' former Union Square basher. Who knows what her motive is but she's like a dog with a bone on this topic.

peg Sep 1st, 2004 02:52 PM

Thank you again everyone. Lisaindc I checked out that web site and you are right about the ratings, so I have another call into them with more questions. The guy on the phone told me one of the ones I could have is being renovated and would be ready by the 11th. I am also waiting for Jonny to call me at 1600 Sixteeth Street Apartments to see if they have anything available.

I have one more question if you don't mind. If I take one of the apartments at Windsor House, would it be smart just to sign a 6 month lease, then I can try and look for somthing better? Since I am going in blind, I am relying on you guys and the internet. Where I come from, you know someone who knows someone who has an apartment for rent.

Jnn, thanks for the bus info. I did't think about that. I have always taken the Metro when I visited the city. I am going to be working in the vicinity of the FBI building and Judiciary Square.

MikeT and Shane, thank you for the safety issues. You are right, you have been steering me in the right direction. I think I owe you guys a drink when I get there!

bardo Sep 1st, 2004 03:33 PM

I would wait to hear aboutm the 1600 16th st. apt. - it's a much better place.

Otherwise, get a 6 month lease at the Windsor house and you'll be much better positioned to look around once you're in town (hopefully you don't have TOO much stuff...).

I feel bad for you having to find a place so quickly - it usually takes quite a while to find a really great apt. The people you meet when you get here will be your best resource. After you arrive - network, network, network (ask everyone - bartenders, clerks, co-workers, etc.) and you'll eventually find a great apt.

Good luck!

peg Sep 2nd, 2004 04:34 AM

Thank you Bardo. I do not have much stuff, so it wouldn't be a problem to move. I will also take your advice on networking, that is why I keep posting here to get opinions from people who already live there. I will wait to hear from 1600 Sixteenth Street before I make any decisions. I figured in six months I will be in a better positon to know exactly how much I can afford, and if I really need my car or not. That would free up some money also, no car, insurance, or parking fees.

I was looking in the Washington City Paper online this morning and found another place, it is no where near where I am looking, but the price is right. What do you guys think if I get a six month lease on this one:

UNION STATION. DELIGHTFUL studio w/1FBA, sep. kitchen, large closet, newly renovated, W/W carpet, W/D in bldg., AC/DW, pet OK. Next to Union Station, 333 2nd St. NE, right across from the Capitol Hill Police w/street parking. Avail. immediately. $975/mo. including utilities. 703/362-3312.

Shane Sep 2nd, 2004 05:18 AM

I will say with regards to spygirl's post that it is a very safe area for those who are wise. For a naive waif from rural Iowa or North Dakota or Vermont, DC might be a little heady. For instance, I wouldn't recommend drinking at one of the clubs around 14th and U to two in the morning and just amble home alone. Within the past fortnight, a Dupont Circle cook was stabbed to death at 2:30 in the morning walking home alone after working a shift at Annie's Paramount. I wouldn't recommend being east of Logan Circle alone after dark, just as a precaution. That said, Logan Circle has shaped up amazingly since 1990. Town homes which now go for $ 750,000 were renovated. The whores were kicked out of the area. A very popular grocery was opened up a couple years ago. Smaller stores, including a hardware store, have been opened. About a dozen condo projects are being built on 14th Street alone. The Logan Circle Community Association is vibrant.

peg Sep 2nd, 2004 06:20 AM

NW Ohio-small town in farmland, even though I have travelled to big cities, I think I am in for an eye opener.

cguest88 Sep 2nd, 2004 07:06 AM

--UNION STATION. DELIGHTFUL studio w/1FBA, sep. kitchen, large closet, newly renovated, W/W carpet, W/D in bldg., AC/DW, pet OK. Next to Union Station, 333 2nd St. NE, right across from the Capitol Hill Police w/street parking. Avail. immediately. $975/mo. including utilities--

This is likely an English Basement apartment. I have a friend that lives a block from there and loves it. Definitely a great area. I would definitely call, if the apt is not already gone.

If not, Logan is a good neighborhood that is gentrifying everyday. I would heistate to live in the area (though I don't know much about the Windsor)

As for the commute to Judiciary square, from Logan Circle it would probably be easier to take the bus instead of walking back to Farragutt North and taking the red line to Judiciary Sq.

Just my $.02.

cguest88 Sep 2nd, 2004 07:12 AM

Sorry, that is would not hesitate to live in Logan cir.

Shane Sep 2nd, 2004 08:26 AM

bardo's suggestion is right on. 1600 Sixteenth is two blocks closer to the action at Dupont and you might prefer that. I'd worry some about Union Station. I'm not sure exactly where 333 2nd Street NE is (near Maryland Ave?) but I think that when you get too close to H Street NE, you are heading into some very bad neighborhoods.

By the way, NW Ohio, eh? My wife's uncle is mayor of a small town outside Bowling Green called Haskins. Know of it? By the way, my wife went to Bowling Green.

peg Sep 2nd, 2004 09:26 AM

Oh my Shane, as a matter of fact I know exactly where it is. My aunt and uncle live there. They bought a house there after Hurricane Andrew destroyed theirs in Homestead. I am about 1/2 hour from there in a little town called Gibsonburg, near Fremont. I went to the University of Toledo a few years ago.

I am still waiting on Johnny from 1600. I might call on the other one though, just to see.