Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Midtown NYC lunch suggestions for Sunday (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/midtown-nyc-lunch-suggestions-for-sunday-850857/)

Annie26 Jul 21st, 2010 05:06 PM

Midtown NYC lunch suggestions for Sunday

We are going to be in NYC this Sunday afternoon and evening and will be taking a cruise on Monday. We would like some great restaurant recommendations for lunch Sunday. We don't want deli. Something priced in a medium range. We will be staying at the Millennium Broadway. We want to have lunch in the area and then will tour around the city in the afternoon . We always like french bistros also. I think the hotel is on 44th Street. Thanks in advance.

otto Jul 22nd, 2010 03:11 AM

french? try la bonne soup on 55th and 6th.
teds montana grill is also good, havana if you like cuban.
john's for pizza on 44th. (just go before 12pm, even moments before for a table, or else the matinee lunch crowd takes over)

Ackislander Jul 22nd, 2010 03:50 AM

We have enjoyed lunch/brunch at the restaurant overlooking Bryant Park behind the New York Public Library

owlwoman Jul 22nd, 2010 06:29 AM

Marseille on 43rd and 9th is very good.

doug_stallings Jul 22nd, 2010 08:00 AM

I love Marseille and highly recommend it. The French bistro Cafe Un Deux Trois, while not really my favorite, is near your hotel. You can also have a more casual lunch at one of the common tables at Le Pain Quotidien, which serves excellent open-face sandwiches and great coffee. There are several of those within walking distance of your hotel, including a nice one by Bryant Park on 41st Street.

Annie26 Jul 22nd, 2010 08:54 AM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on such short notice. We love La Bonne Soupe but we didn't really want a brunch and I think that may be what they serve on Sundays. I will try to look up the name of the restaurant that overlooks Bryant Park. Also, we are having dinner Sunday night at Gotham Bar and Grill which we have been to before. Is there anything nearby where we could walk to after for drinks or capuccino before heading back to our hotel. My cousin who is traveling with us, says we will be near the village?

Aduchamp1 Jul 22nd, 2010 09:39 AM

There are a number of cafes on and just off Bleecker between 6th and La Guardia. They are old style Italian cafes and have been long before there were half this, half that with a sprinkle of whatever the hell that is on top.

Among the oldies are Dante, Figaro and Reggio. Atmosphere is wonderful, pastries are average to good but bever bad.

doug_stallings Jul 22nd, 2010 10:56 AM

Just FYI: Brunch in New York does not always equal eggs or pancakes. Most restaurants serve savory fare as well, including sandwiches, so don't necessarily count out a restaurant just because brunch is served until 3. Definitely look at the actual menu.

Brunch at Artisanal, for example, includes their wonderful, buttery skate wing as one of many options, and almost always some kind of risotto. Artisanal is not near your hotel (it's on 32nd between Park and Madison), but it might also be worth considering. It's a quick trip over there from Times Square. If the weather is nice you can even walk (perhaps 20 minutes).

Poison_Preen Jul 22nd, 2010 11:59 AM

www.relaisdevenise.com

Steak frites for Miss Thing.

Your old friend,
Buffy Buttmarkington

mclaurie Jul 22nd, 2010 05:48 PM

Virtually every restaurant in the city serves a brunch menu at middday on Sun. As others say, it includes both breafast and lunch items. Marseille is a good near your hotel but if you're plannning to tour in the afternoon there are dozens of good French bistros all over the city. Do you know about menupages.com? The restaurant overlooking Bryant Park is the Bryant Park Grill. http://www.bryantpark.org/things-to-...ark_grill.html Wherever you decide, make a reservation. Many places are on opentable.com