Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   middlebury vt snow (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/middlebury-vt-snow-1036049/)

santamonica Jan 30th, 2015 06:57 AM

middlebury vt snow

We've got a situation here. We're visiting ds2. He's a senior in college here and hasn't gone skiing yet. The college has its own ski slope. So you gotta ski. We're here to make sure he skis.

We're staying at a very nice garage apartment in weybridge vt, 8 miles from middlebury, up a long very pretty driveway.

https://airbnb.com/rooms/2698212?s=22

We rented a red hyundi festiva or some other cheerful sounding subcompact car. It's sitting right outside, covered with snow. The snow is very pretty. It falls all around. Cedars. Driveways. Long driveways. Long hilly driveways.

So, that's the situation. Who could have expected it would snow here in Vermont in january? You could have knocked me over with a feather. Fortunately, there's a book with poems by Robert Frost.

So far we've been to the gallery cafe for lunch, a little market for groceries where some pasta, tomato sauce, wine, bread and cheese cost $64 (generally, try not to shop at groceries where the clerks are better educated and better REI dressed than you are, and are really friendly), and to the new Lobby Restaurant, which has a nice view of the river and is owned by the same people who own the Bobcat restaurant in Bristol, which is even nicer. That was yesterday.

Today we woke up, looked at the snow, cooked some eggs our hostess left us from her chickens (she says they are very friendly), and looked at the snow some more. Our hostess said she thinks we could drive down the driveway ok, and she left us some snowshoes to hike down to Otter Creek. Snowshoes!

Still snowing.

starrs Jan 30th, 2015 07:04 AM

That looks amazing. Love the refrigerator. Have you tried out the sleeping pods? Enjoy the snow!

santamonica Jan 30th, 2015 07:07 AM

If it keeps snowing I'll be able to try 1/2 the bed, each pod, and the couch. The pods are reasonably comfortable.

Fra_Diavolo Jan 30th, 2015 09:14 AM

Ha. Many years ago my parents took us on a ski vacation to New Hampshire for a week. It snowed and stormed so heavily we got in only one day of skiing.

Take up the offer of the snowshoes. It's a great way to get into the woods in winter, and you will find it wonderful and not quite as silent as you might think.

Otter Creek brewery makes a nice ale.

HappyTrvlr Jan 30th, 2015 09:16 AM

Get up to the Snowbowl! Or crosscountry ski on the college trails up there. You'll ski right by Robert Frost's cabin. In VT, snow is celebrated!! Enjoy your visit.

dfrostnh Jan 30th, 2015 09:29 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like a great place to stay. Put it on my wish list for future VT trip. What a great place to go to college. Brandon is another great town without a college but a great 4th of July parade. Hope you continue to have a great visit.

santamonica Jan 30th, 2015 01:45 PM

Thanks all. We had a really nice day. We walked around with snowshoes, bravely drove down the driveway and on to Vergennes for a pastry and cafe a la it at the Laundry. Then we went to the library (a really pretty old building with a dome of stained glass sorta like the Palace in Madrid), and then back to the college to try the pool (closed) and the art museum (between exhibitions) and collect ds2 for dinner at our garage apt, where we are now, sipping red wine by the cast iron stove (gas) with bread, cheese, apple slices and the Oscar Peterson channel on pandora. It could be the wine talking, but it's pretty darned sweet. Snowbowl tomorrow.

HappyTrvlr Jan 30th, 2015 02:47 PM

Jealous!

jubilada Jan 30th, 2015 04:11 PM

If you are in Vt why are we not having a GTG?

Cattail Jan 30th, 2015 05:08 PM

santamonica, you are funny! Weybridge is lovely. If we didn't live so close, I would like your "situation". Maybe tomorrow you can visit the friendly chickens. Trying to be helpful here.

emalloy Jan 31st, 2015 05:50 AM

Sounds like fun, but I hope you're prepared for the COLD!!!!

HappyTrvlr Jan 31st, 2015 03:29 PM

I hope the lift attendants checked you for frostbite each time you got on the lift.

santamonica Feb 1st, 2015 10:11 AM

Snowbowl was cold. Winter graduation involves the graduating class skiing down the slopes to cheers of friends and family. Our son isn't graduating this semester but we got to the slopes in time to watch some of his friends do the ski thing.

I don't like to ski. It's annoying not skiing better after all these years, it's very cold, and the boots are dumb. But we did it. I managed to maybe break a rib on the chair lift. We haven't confirmed that yet. In fact there's very little evidence of damage except it hurts when I reach for my wallet. Which you have to do quite a lot when you ski. But we did it.

More later. I m supposed to be in airplane mode now.

HappyTrvlr Feb 1st, 2015 01:11 PM

Glad you were able to ski at Snow Bowl and see the Feb graduates ski down too. Many Olympians skiied there in college too.

santamonica Feb 1st, 2015 02:15 PM

It sounds like some of you know middlebury pretty well. Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

We're home, back in Bethesda. Last night, after skiing, we went to dinner at the Bobcat in Bristol and then watched Black Mirror on netflix, which is a pretty cool, pretty edgy BBC series.

This morning we dropped ds2 off at zchool, drove to Burlington, had lunch at The Skinny Pancake, listened to a banjo player, drove to the airport, took a plane, metro, taxi and now we're home.

Enjoying the warm weather.

santamonica Feb 1st, 2015 04:07 PM

Jubi, we're be back!

dfrostnh Feb 2nd, 2015 01:58 AM

you probably got out of New England in the nick of time. More snow today. Possibly more canceled flights.