Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Middle Name and Last name in my Delta Air Ticket

Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have booked a air ticket to NY. My passport name is Karen Tan Lye Teng. My E-ticket is Lye Teng Tan. Is it alright? Any problem checking in?
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 02:12 AM

I would call Delta and you will probably have to have the ticket changed. The rule these days is that the ticket has to match your ID.

If Delta issued the ticket you may ask to have it corrected, if a travel agent issued it, you may have to fight with them to have it changed, but if it is their fault, they should be willing to fix it.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 02:27 AM

I to would call Delta, the same sort of thing happened to my mom, her middle name was used for her last. They had to take some convincing to get them to let her go but we had even more trouble coming home. The airlines are very picky in how you book your seat. Good Luck!
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 03:41 AM

It's better to book your air ticket using just your first and last name - is simplifies a lot of problems. No one will object if the ticket is in your correct first and last name but doens't include you middle initial or name. (Frankly unless you name i John Smith it;s better to have everything in just first and last name for simplicity -esp for women - whose names may change as they marry and/or divorce).
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:09 AM

Are you registered with Delta for friquent flier miles? Check your name there. It must be the same as on your ID or passport. It should be either Karen Tan Lye Teng or, if the system allows only 3 names, make it Karen TenLye Teng.

There is a new law, don't remember since when, sometimes this year, that the name must be spelled out in full if it's spelled out in the passport/ID.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:13 AM

I mean, this is in addition to correcting your name on the ticket.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"It's better to book your air ticket using just your first and last name - is simplifies a lot of problems. No one will object if the ticket is in your correct first and last name but doens't include you middle initial or name."

If only that was the case . . .

For over a year now the rule has been the ticket MUST fully match the ID. So if the passport/driver's license or gov't issued ID has middle name(s) -- so must the ticket.

Now -- have any travelers gotten away w/ slight mismatched names? Sure. But the rule is the rule and you run a HUGE risk if you don't fix this w/ the airline.