Middle America in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2012, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a trip report from two oldsters retracing steps in Middle America. Until 2 1/2 years ago we lived in places like Illinois and Missouri, moving to the Boston area near family. Several events prompted us to return for three weeks of traveling. Flight from Logan to St. Louis via Chicago and renting a Nissan Sentra. First a couple of days at Giant City St. Pk. in Southern Illinois. Many don't realize how beautiful it is in Little Egypt. We stayed at an historic park cabin which was very nice and ate at the Lodge built by CCC workers. Amazing what the CCC workers accomplished. Giant City has some interesting rock formations and hiking trails. Trees turning yellow and red...as pretty as in New England.

When our family was small we liked to camp in this area, e.g., Pounds Hollow. Near Giant City is town of Cobden on both sides of the RR and we ate at Yellow Moon. Stopped off at Makanda which is just some new age shops along the road. This is apple country and in the '60s the Apple Knockers almost won the boy's basketball championship. Destination for the weekend was Carbondale, home of Southern Illinois Univ. Preached at First Christian Church on their 150th anniversary, theme was "The Turbulent 60s" when I was there...March on Washington and desegregating schools and then the increasingly unpopular Vietnam conflict.

Carbondale is suffering from a downturn as is much of Illinois I fear. So the university's enrollment is off etc. However, a great shopping mall east of town, truly the best I've seen. A present and future tourist destination in C'dale is Walker's Bluff, on a farm inherited by a lady who is developing it into a winery, plus family fun site. Lunch at the entrance at the General Store and then in the back forty is the winery where we relaxed for awhile. By the way, there is quite a wine trail in this area becoming an attraction. Super 8 was just fine for our motel.

On to Potosi, Missouri...and a week at the YMCA Trout Lodge. Wonderful facility with excellent meals though the Road Scholar program (our 38th) wasn't so good. Supposed to be on big bands and fall colors. Well, the Fall leaves were beautiful. Potosi is SW of St. Louis and nearby is Ft. Davidson and Elephant Rocks worth visiting.
But also in the program was a course on wine making including a field trip to several wineries.

A drive to Peoria where we also lived and another church anniversary. Stayed with a friend and met many folks. One of those big church potlucks. I would say Peoria is doing well thanks to Caterpillar. Dinner at Biaggis which I recommend along with Lariat Steakhouse. By now my cold was developing...ugh!

Next stop back in Springfield, MO, where we had retired. You know about Bass Pro and Branson of course. What can I report? Just dining and chatting with friends. Recommend: Coltons, Houlihans, San Francisco Grille. One stop was visiting a class of Institute for Mature Learning at Drury University. We were once active and officers.
All over America are senior citizen learning groups with classes.

Final destination: Wichita visiting family. Son and wife in new house...good chat with grandkids. Wichita has aircraft related industries, such as Airbus where engineer son is now. Several interesting eateries are Tangas Soup Kitchen and Old Town Tasty Shop, both in Old Town.

Heading back to St. Louis...glad to get rental care returned. Big question on Oct. 30...could we land in Boston? Thanks to American Airlines we got a later flight and had no problem. Yes, our apartment had some power outage but no lingering problem. I realize much of the East Coast is suffering from Sandy with disrupted lives and property damage.and pray for recovery.

Thanks for reading if you got this far. Not so exciting I know. Earlier trips this year to Elbe River and Maine etc.

Bill in Boston
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the report, Bill. I'm always glad to read about interesting things in this area, close to home for me.
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 04:10 AM

Bill, sounds like a real trip down memory lane. Thanks for reporting and giving some info on places to do/things to see in the middle.
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 08:00 AM

Nice Bill- I have spent a lot of time around the Ironton area in the Missouri Ozarks- its a beautiful part of the country- used to love visiting - lots of history there too. Have been to Elephants Rocks and Johnson Shut Ins many times

Glad you enjoyed trip
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for responses...and a few already know of the ruggged beauty of SE Missouri and Southern Illinois. sunbum1944, I guess Johnson Shutins is back to normal after a flood? Here is a neat place for youngsters to body surf down the stream!

I do recommend the YMCA Trout Lodge for families...excellent accomodations, food...lots for kids to do such as zip line, horseback riding, archery, rifle range, crafts, swimming, etc. Check 314 241-YMCA on st. hwy AA out of Potosi. Of course you could be planning for next summer.

Missouri has neat caves and not far to the NW from Potosi off I-44 is a good stop at Onondaga Cave and also toward St. Louis is Meramec Caverns. Anyone with or without kids headed SW toward Oklahoma and west should consider a stop off at one of the caves.
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Added note on wineries in MO and IL. For many years we stopped off at St. James Winery along I-55. And again a visit this October. Sorry to say they cannot ship wines to some states including ours. We like country white and velvet red. www.stonehillwinery.com Missouri wines tend to be sweet and some wine also is made from fruits.

Also visited was www.peacefulbend.com near Steelville, a successful venture by a couple. Specialty is Norton wines. They are developing more musical performances. Recent one outdoors but they have found wonderful acoustics in the large storehouse.

Have you been to Hermann, MO? This is where it all began as German immigrants moved into the area along the Missouri R. and by 1857 had started manufacturing wines. Octoberfest is a big celebration but we have found it pretty noisy and crowded. Nice tour of a winery...www.stonehillwinery.com
And see www.missouriwine.org

Across the Mississippi is a wine trail in Illinois which got organized in 1995. www.shawneewinetrail.com
Von Jakob winery is becoming a music venue. Also note www.walkersbluff.com mentioned before near Carbondale promising to be a destination for visitors.
www.enjoyillinois.com/events
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 06:38 AM

Wow, thanks for reminding me of Giant City. When DH and I were going to SIU I used to take our DS (then a baby) to that beautiful park for the fresh air and playground areas.
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 08:20 AM

Another interesting stop in the area is the Bonne Terre Mines- an old mine, now filled with water and you can scuba dive through the various mine shafts. If that is too adventurous for you, a walking or a boat tour is available.

I thought it was pretty interesting!
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 09:24 AM

I really enjoy Missouri wines. There is a big variety, from sweet to dry; Vidal Blanc is a good accompaniment for Thanksgiving dinner. Adam Puchta is a small winery that is fun to visit http://www.adampuchtawine.com/index.htm
And the holday events in Hermann are a lot of fun http://www.hermannmissouri.com/
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

aloha, of course friends (as a matter of fact family) may prefer dry wines when dining, but DW and I vote with you that MO wines are overlooked. Didn't know about Adam Puchta winery. Likely more around the state, e.g.,I remember one at Weston connected with American Boardman underground restaurant.

Did something interesting in our wine class at Trout Lodge...tasting Courtois, Norton and Whitttenburg along with samples of apple, dressing, walnut, cheese, salsa and chocolate. Cheese pretty much with anything and also chocolate and dressing.
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 04:22 PM

Thank you for the great posts. Grew up going to Trout Lodge - remember well float trips and caves in the area. Giant City is amazing - nice hiking and nice lodge. Attended a conference at Lake of the Ozarks last May - what a flashback! Agree that the CCC accomplished amazing things all across this country. Wherever we go (typically West), I take photos of the light fixtures - the CCC left a wonderful legacy across this country.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

50HS...does sound like you know the area. Where are you now? And I didn't mention float trips, did I? Like Eleven Point or near when we lived in Buffalo, the Niangua. Also lived St. Louis and Springfield. Were campers for many years. Of course I skipped Branson but that is a fun show place. And another cave.
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 12:11 PM

Found your report, Bill. Looking forward to our trip to Sunnen Lake and Trout Lodge