Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Mid-price restaurants in NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/mid-price-restaurants-in-nyc-569138/)

ljk1982 Nov 6th, 2005 10:38 AM

Mid-price restaurants in NYC

Husband and I will be traveling to NYC from 12/26-12/30. We would like to eat at one upper priced restaurant (Sparks Steakhouse is under consideration.) But for dinners the other nights, we are looking for some mid-priced options. I am thinking without drinks at under $20-25 a person. We are looking for a variety of food types and the neighborhood doesn't matter. Can anyone suggest a couple of restaurants that would fall into this price range that would give us a great idea of NYC food? Thanks!

Lacy

elaine Nov 6th, 2005 01:46 PM

Hi
It's good that you specified what you consider 'mid-price' because $20-$25 is unfortunately pretty low-end for Manhattan.

One of the great bargains though is Kitchen 22, owned by famed chef Charlie Palmer, who owns several more expensive places as well. Prix fixe always, $25. Casual.

www.charliepalmer.com
One of his other restaurants, Aureole, a beautiful place, was just awarded one Michelin star.

36 East 22nd Street, neighborhood is Gramercy Park, nice for strolling

Gekko Nov 7th, 2005 07:54 AM

Purchase a Zagat's and visit citysearch. Hundreds if not thousands of great "mid-priced" options await you in NYC.

(It definitely helps to know what neighborhoods interest you.)

radiofanatic Nov 7th, 2005 09:11 AM

Based upon the recommendations of fellow fodorites, just last night I went to the italian restaurant Becco's on W. 46th street between 8th and 9th. It was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. There is a two course meal for $21.95 with the first course either caesar salad or antipasto - I had the antipasto which was heavenly and the second course is 3 different pastas- last night it was a veal lasagna, pesto pasta and marinara. Then you can add a third course for meat if you wish. I had plenty with the two courses. For one 2 course meal, one three, a bottle of wine (which was $25) and a tiramisu to share, it was $80. It was so good it reminded me of the meals I had in my last trip to Italy. I hope you go and I hope you enjoy it.

lizziea06 Nov 7th, 2005 09:20 AM

The Red Cat on 10th Ave. is an excellent casual restaurant. Without drinks, it's menu would probably fit the bill. It's a great local restaurant, and very "New York". Kitchen 22 or 82 are both great options as well. If you like Thai food, Land on Amsterdam b/t 81st and 82nd is great Thai, and right by the Museum of Natural History. Oh, and Blue Ribbon on Sullivan would be be my other suggestion.

Ryan Nov 7th, 2005 09:35 AM

There is a really nice, moderately priced French place on 2nd and 54th called La Mangeoire. They have prix fixe menu that offers a couple of options and an a'la carte menu that features some classic french dishes.

lizziea06 Nov 7th, 2005 09:47 AM

I would also suggest checking out www.menupages.com for restaurants. You can sort by cuisine and neighborhood, and look at menus at each restaurant you are interested in. You can also see the top menu requests by neighborhood, which would indicate the more popular choices. I live in NYC, and this is the website that I (and most of my friends) turn to for picking out restuarants to eat in and order takeout from. There is also a section for reader comments, which can help to give you a better idea.