Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Mid-May this yr too early for Crater Lake? If so...where to, then? What to include instead for variety on our drive up & down 5? Any other fave Oregon or Nor Cal adventures instead, near the hwy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/mid-may-this-yr-too-early-for-crater-lake-if-so-where-to-then-what-to-include-instead-for-variety-on-our-drive-up-and-down-5-any-other-fave-oregon-or-nor-cal-adventures-instead-near-the-hwy-351672/)

Daydreamer Apr 29th, 2008 02:41 AM

Mid-May this yr too early for Crater Lake? If so...where to, then? What to include instead for variety on our drive up & down 5? Any other fave Oregon or Nor Cal adventures instead, near the hwy?

We're driving from the SF Bay area to San Juan Islands this May. An annual trip. Still contemplating flying, but usually enjoy a Spring drive up 101 through some gorgeous country & down 5.

Problem is: our time is more limited this yr. :-{ So, considering the drive *both* directions on 5.

Would like to add a little 'variety' however to the drive if doing this. Add something new. Our options include Crater Lake...but from threads here, it seems this yr is exceptionally heavy for snow in the Northwest?

Is this so? We've had so little precip for so long in Calif, that I wouldn't have guessed it. (plus I know last year too was heavy for Oregon) But if melt would come very late, then, I suppose a trip there would make little sense. (does the whole lake get snowed in/obscured?)

Even if snow not bad this year...some seem to indicate mid-summer is more fun there for hiking, boat trips, anyway? And I guess one *could* save time too w/more roads open then? (to re-connect to 5)

Other ideas then if you'd skip Crater Lake now? :-)

We've never spent a night or time at Wolf Creek (an intriguing quick 'overnight' spot we often see while driving...nor Jackson nor Ashland.

Also, have never seen McArthur-Burney Falls State Park in Nor Cal (not too far from Redding). Never had time for Castle Crags, Trinity nor Lassen. (so much is open for exploration here, if anyone has some ideas)

We really enjoyed the Oregon Wine Country near Eugene. Maybe I'll post a separate thread for concrete ideas on fave romantic overnight in a 'wine' area there. This will be either our Anniversary Eve or close. Thanks! :-)

Daydreamer Apr 29th, 2008 01:40 PM

Oops! Meant to categorize this under Oregon/Nor Cal threads.

Not sure now if this is lost amidst broader US ones?

Should I re-post it & of course,
shorten it a bit? ;-)

Kal Apr 29th, 2008 01:42 PM

Ask John. I think he is the US Board Monitor today.:))

NWWanderer Apr 29th, 2008 02:41 PM

I would go for Ashland--there will almost certainly still be lots of snow up at Crater Lake so most likely what you would do up there would be to look at the lake over the snow drifts. It's pretty but I'm not sure it would be worth the extra drive time this early in the season.

GP Apr 29th, 2008 08:00 PM

We just visited (mid April)the in laws in Sisters Or. from Eureka Ca. Via 101, 199, 62, 97. then over to the coast via 20 and 22. There is a lot of snow much more than normal and the North entrance to Crater Lake was still closed According to their web site Crater Lake Lodge will open May 24 so plan on something else

Daydreamer Apr 30th, 2008 01:21 AM

Thanks for the most helpful info! Appreciate the insight and advice.

So on to other plans/ideas
for this journey then. :-)