Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Michigan lakeshore (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/michigan-lakeshore-667745/)

vickers Jan 6th, 2007 09:10 AM

Michigan lakeshore

I'd love feedback on Michigan lakeshore vacations. Have been vacationing in the south carolinas for the last many years and want to go somewhere within driving distance where there might be more to do, has anyone been to The Homestead in Glen Arbor? or does anyone have any recommendations for family vacations on the MI shore? We'll be 16 including small children and are very active.

jallard Jan 6th, 2007 09:40 AM

The Homestead is very nice. I also really like the Charlevoix/Petoskey/Bay Harbor/Harbor Springs area. There is a lot to do in this area. Look into Bay Harbor or renting a house at Boyne Highlands, Charlevoix or in Petoskey. The state beach in Petoskey is very nice.

tamryn Jan 6th, 2007 09:49 AM

Vickers-We stayed at the Inn at Bay Harbor last summer in their "Cottages" which are basically townhouses next to the hotel. Great for kids as you have your own space. There is not a big beach there, but the pool is good and the area has so much to explore.

Jawalina Jan 6th, 2007 11:44 AM

Last summer on our road trip (http://www.visualmapper.com) we went to Picture Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan and Apostle Islands Nationa Lakeshore. It was very pretty driving along the Lake Superior. Take a trip to the upper Michigan if you have time

vickers Jan 6th, 2007 12:33 PM

thanks for your responses. I've just looked into Bay Harbor and it looks very promising. I like the idea (and it's pretty much a necessity based on history for our family) that we be on the water.
jawalina, clicked on the given website but was not at all sure what to look for, that's a new website for me.

artman Jan 6th, 2007 12:56 PM

The Homestead is a commercial resort located in the heart of the Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore. SBNL is a world class National Park(Lakeshore). It has miles of hiking trails, beach access and wooded forests as well as a complete historical district of restored farm lands and barns. The Homestead is located in Glen Arbor a charming little village and 16 miles from Leland another little town and home to Fishtown a historic fishing village. The Jollie Lodge is a family run small resort locted more near Leland which is a beautiful setting for a family gathering compared to the larger more corporate feel of The Homestead.Meals are available at the Homestead while you will have to cook or go out at the Jollie Lodge.
Petoskey/Bay Harbor has a completely different feel. More traffic, more conjestion, less beach access, more shopping,restaurants, more of a small city feel . And be warned, Bay Harbor, which is a very interesting upscale resort,shoping complex is located(as is Petoskey) on Petoskey Bay a very large bay which has a different feel than "the big lake". Bay Harbor is an award winning reclaimation development built on the site of an old cement factory complex. It is involved in a major unexpected lake pollution problem where leaking unground cement processing waste is leaking into the bay which last summer made the bay around Bay Harbor unswimable.( it also is more rocky in general in the bay). Check weather the clean up project is completed before you choose between the two.

seniormsuedu Jan 6th, 2007 07:12 PM

I agree with everything artman writes. I would not pick Bay Harbor either. An expensive new complex with no sand beaches, only crushed limestone all along the shore. I don't think a pollution "cleanup" will happen for a long time. The cement plant was huge.

The Homestead is so wonderful. A long sandy beach stretches from SBDunes to the top of Leelenau Peninsula. The Homestead overlooks SBDunes and the Manitou Islands. Must read the children's book, "The Legend of Sleeping Bear." Traverse City is nearby with nice things to do and eat. All kinds of hiking trails, hunting Petoskey stones.

I would make reservations early, the good places fill up by spring.

KathrynDay Jan 6th, 2007 07:38 PM

I'm a long-term Michigan resident who misses summers there - The Leelenau area is beautiful but pricey. If that's a factor, you might consider somewhere north of Muskegon; there is not only terrific Lake Michigan shoreline but also many places to rent on inland lakes. They have great beaches and would be warmer for swimming. The U.P. is less developed, a bit colder, but if your family likes to hike to waterfalls, you'd have 300 to choose from. Lake Superior is COLD. I'd stick to the Lower Peninsula, and maybe do a day trip to Mackinac Island, and cross the bridge to the U.P.. Keep in mind that weather fronts may last for days. If you hit a week of cold weather, you'll want enough space for your whole clan to be happy indoors.

vickers Jan 7th, 2007 01:08 PM

thanks for the invaluable info on Bay Harbor!! Any ideas on any other resorts besides the Homestead???

artman Jan 8th, 2007 08:53 AM

Alot of city people like The Homestead. Its has a good location for exploring the Park or just enjoying its beaches. If you are looking for a smaller ,older style resort you can't beat the Jollie Lodge but you may have a hard time getting in. You may want to look into renting a house. Their are lots available but act soon they fill up. Check out www.leelanua.com for rental information.

lindaglass Apr 7th, 2007 05:04 PM

The Bay Harbor Resort and Marina five minutes south of Pesoskey, MI defines relaxation for our family. It is our very favorite northern destination and an easy drive from the Detroit or Chicago area. Everything that we could desire is just steps away... Great dining, a wonderful and unique retail area, the most beautiful marina in Michigan and everything is staffed by the smartest and most friendly staff we've ever experienced. We simply consider it our home away from home - when we are lucky enough to be there!

jallard Apr 8th, 2007 07:02 AM

I also have high regards for Bay Harbor. We visit once to twice a year and always have a wonderful tme. The facilities are well maintained. We enjoy staying in the condos overlooking the marina district. We also enjoy the pool and hot tub at the resort's fitness center.
I also suggest lunch at the Galley Gourmet and dinner at Latitude - wonderful! We llok forward to our visit this summer.

auty1 Apr 9th, 2007 07:50 AM

Hi all,
I am also looking at the Homestead for
a summer vacation....used to go there
1-2 times a year in the 1980's....it was
like paradise on the beach.
A few recent reviews on the web
mentioned that the beach was getting smaller and the lake was having algae issues...is it becoming a big problem?
I was at the Inn at Bay Harbor last year...it was very nice but the swimming was not as nice as the Homestead as I remember....any advice?

jhdickman17x Jun 25th, 2007 07:54 AM

Looking for a romantic small town area for myself and my wife to go for our 3-year anniversary weekend of Aug 18-20. Somewhere within 2-3 hours max of Mt. Pleasant MI (which is about 1 hour south of Lansing)... We've done the Traverse City/Charlevoix/Taquamanon Falls thing, but looking for ideas from anyone who has been to some other places.

Ideas included St. Joseph MI.

Any help would be great including possible hotels, bed and breakfasts.

Thanks

Keith Jun 26th, 2007 07:48 AM

Try Leeland or one of the other small communities in the Leelanau Peninsula.

I think the Falling Water Motel is romantic.

Keith

welig12 Jun 26th, 2007 08:09 AM

Dear Keith:
Perhaps you can help...We will be touring lower Michigan this Fall, but would also like to head up into the UP. Is it reasonable to drive from the Mackinaw Bridge area to Copper Harbor in 7-8 hours? We are considering staying at the Keweenaw Mt. Lodge, but would like to have dinner at Harbor Haus. Maybe there's a hotel closer to the Harbor Haus than the lodge. Harbor Haus has a B&B, but it's not pet friendly.

We are not in a hurry, so we are open to suggestions for other stops along the way..however, we will be traveling with a small dog, so need "pet friendly" hotels, etc.

From Copper Harbor we would like to venture on to the North Shore of Minnesota...if you can shed some light on that area, as well, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

melh Jun 26th, 2007 08:44 AM

Vickers- We've taken the kids on MI vacations to Holland/Grand Haven area twice and we've been to Traverse City, Petoskey, Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island for vacations. We loved them all! We went w/o the kids to those norhtern destinations, but thought we'd love to go back with the kids too.

Keith Jun 26th, 2007 11:29 AM

welig12, I would figgure about 6 hours plus stops.

My favorite places in the Keweenaw Peninsula were Lake of the Clouds, Brockway Mountain Drive, and Copper Harbor & Fort Wilkins. The view looking down on Lake of the Clouds in the fall, was so beautiful that I went through 3 rolls of film.

But it is has been too long since I was that far west in the UP and I don't have much more to add about that area.

Keith

drusullivan Aug 5th, 2007 03:57 PM

Any ideas about a good resort around the holland/southhaven/saugatuck area?

mrsffonky Aug 6th, 2007 04:09 PM

Artman,

I can't find anything on Jollie Lodge. Is there a link you can provide? Thank you.