Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Miami to Key West: How long is the drive on monday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2011, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello
Me and my buddies are planning a day trip to Key West on January 2nd, monday after a new year.
It's unfortunate that due to time constraint we face, we have to make it a day trip
we're renting a car at 8am from miami international airport
I read previous posts that miami traffic in the morning can get really bad and it might actually take 4 to 5hrs to drive down there, if longer during the holiday weekend.
But since it's on monday and map google is telling me it's going to take me about 3hrs to drive down there from miami, I was wondering what the traffic would look like. we're planning to leave at 8am, and come back to Miami by 10pm. Is it too optimistic if I think i can get there in 3hr 30 minutes?
Thanks!
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 03:52 PM

It's doable, but what's the point? The road into the Keys is single lane and there is at least one draw bridge that we got stuck waiting 45 minutes to go back down. It's a lot of driving for just a few hours.

If you're in Miami only for the day, go to South Beach or somewhere closer where you can actually enjoy your time.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 06:31 PM

I agree with Jaya, I think the time is better spent enjoying South Beach, etc...

I went around the same time of year in 2008 and it took 5 1/2 hours (came to a traffic standstill for some reason still unclear to me why prior to even getting to the Keys themselves). I think since you're so close to New Years there would be a certain amount of busy-ness with folks still on vacation, Monday or not.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 08:08 PM

A waste of time and money... you will be on the road for eight total hours in a car on a Monday and when you arrive in Key West, the town will be totally dead during the day...

Get up, have breakfast and either spend the day at South Beach, a poolbar or hotel, or maybe take the shorter drive to Ley Largo...
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 04:21 AM

We've made that trip a number of times and it's never taken us less than 4 hours. Not only is it mostly one lane, there are strict no-passing laws and even stricter laws against speeding in the key deer areas.

I agree with everyone else...don't try it!