Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Miami to Fort Myers (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/miami-to-fort-myers-329135/)

mildew Jun 19th, 2003 10:31 AM

Miami to Fort Myers

We arrive on vacation into Miami International Airport and were going to drive to Sanibel Island but we have heard that it is possible to fly to Fort Myers and then it is just a short drive. Trouble is I can't find any airlines on the web that fly this route who don't charge an arm and a leg!!! Any suggestions please?? Otherwise its a four and half hour drive, I believe???

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 19th, 2003 11:51 AM

Well, I'm not sure whats expensive to you, but American Airlines will get you there for about $200 per person, R/T.
On the other hand, it's not that bad of a drive. It's actually about 2.5-3 hours, not 4.5
Whatever you choose, have a great vacation!

Carib_Ruby Jun 19th, 2003 05:37 PM

Hi,

It always seems to be cheaper to fly into Miami, than Ft. Myers....

However the savings can be worth it. It will take you about 20 minutes to get from MIA to the interstate, about an hour and a half to naples, and then about 45-60 min. to Sanibel...please keep in mind traffic can alter these times, however 4.5 hours is pretty far off :)

Ruby

mildew Jun 20th, 2003 08:32 AM

Great news - I think we'll drive! I did think 4.5 hours sounded a little long! $200.00 is a lot when you can now fly from London to Spain and back for half that price!
I thought US internal flights were supposed to be cheap and easy to pop on and off - maybe no longer??

AAFrequentFlyer Jun 20th, 2003 09:20 AM

Cheap fares depend on routes, just like in Europe. This particular route is a feeder route for the few airlines that actually fly to Ft.Myers. It's not meant to be a high frequency, competative market. So in American Airlines case if you were to fly them across the Atlantic to Miami, they would throw that segment for almost nothing or very cheap, but if you want to just jump across the state, AA figures you must be desperate and since they don't have much competition they charge what the market will bear. For the same $200 I could fly from Tampa, across the country to Los Angeles, only because AA has to compete with all the major airlines. So you see it's not the length of the flight, it's competition that drives the fares. As you said, you could fly from London to Barcelona for next to nothing, but try to fly from London to lets say Vienna or Warsaw, or Moscow. Same distance, yet fares are many times higher.
Anyway, have a great trip!!!

mildew Jun 20th, 2003 10:04 AM

Wow - thats told me!! Anyway know you are right - public demand etc etc. Still I am sure we'll have a great time either way! Thanks again!

SB_Travlr Jun 20th, 2003 10:12 AM

Sounds as if you're flying in from the UK. We (now US residents) have vacationed in Sanibel a few times with bro-in-law and family who live in the UK. One time they flew Delta from London to Ft Myers via Atlanta; another they flew USAirways from London to Ft Myers via Charlotte.

Given the present travel industry woes, those routes may not be available now -- but it's worth a visit to your TA or Expedia to check.

Takes about 45 minutes to drive to Sanibel from RSW, the Ft Myers airport. But however you get there, you will love it! Have a great trip.