Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Miami - South Beach Hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/miami-south-beach-hotel-200990/)

Ed Oct 30th, 2001 01:48 PM

Miami - South Beach Hotel?

Hi All, <BR> <BR>We're a middle age couple looking for a recommendation for a hotel in the South Beach area. We'll be there in mid November. Easy access to the beach, restaurants and night life are our top priorities. Also, are there bars, lounges, clubs, etc. where a couple of non VIP, middle age, but fun loving folks would fit in? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>

Dave Nov 1st, 2001 06:38 AM

Last Feb. we stayed at Hilton Grand Vacations for one night. It is on Ocean Drive and 14th st. We had a one bedroom suite with a large bedroom and a large living room. It was in a 3 story art deco building. I would stay there again.

Patrick Nov 1st, 2001 10:40 AM

What's your budget? If you like upscale you couldn't do better that the Loew's which is right at the edge of South Beach's busy area and just a block or two from Lincoln Road. It is pricey, but they are likely to be doing some great specials this time of year. <BR>Frankly, I haven't been too comfortable in most of the trendy SoBe hotels -- I just don't fit in with the magazine model crowd.

barbara Nov 1st, 2001 10:45 AM

I stayed at the Loews in South Beach in mid November two years ago, and was very happy with the hotel. However, MTV was doing a fashion special at the time and the entire area was overcrowded with beautiful 20-somethings that really impacted how I felt about the time there. Also, the beach was far too windy to be comfortable. At this time of year its an iffy thing. <BR> <BR>The Delano is an extremely trendy and outrageously decorated hotel with a great restaurant and bar. That, too, is in the heart of things, but I think, very expensive.

lena Nov 1st, 2001 12:46 PM

the Loews and Wyhdamm (sp?) are nice, otherwise they are hotels from the 40's and 50's that have new paint, wall covering and price tags. They still smell like old Miami Beach hotels. All of South Beach is a club/ lounge - no problem there. South Beach is fun and can be wild, that's why you would go there, otherwise there are other places to stay.

Graziella Nov 1st, 2001 06:40 PM

There are many quaint small hotels in SOuth Beach, the Impala has a great location because it is near to everything and it is not on Ocean Drive where the noise is tooooo <BR>much to endure. <BR>The Impala has good service and is charming.

Lou Nov 12th, 2001 01:32 PM

As far as nightlife is concerned. You can easily walk into any of the bars on Ocean Drive. My favorite is Mango's, always a good time to be had there. They have a great raggae band that plays just about everyday from 7 - 10 or 10:30 and then they have a latin band after that, that plays into the wee hours of the morning. This place seems to be one of the only places on the strip that has a good crowd on a consistant basis throughout the strip. I guess one of the reasons is because of the beautiful women and buff men that can be seen from the street dancing on the bar. Mango's is definitely a sight to be seen.

Lou Nov 12th, 2001 01:36 PM

By the way it's on Ocean Drive i think between 8th and 9th you can't miss it when you walk by