Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Miami salsa dancing (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/miami-salsa-dancing-219959/)

Tammy Liebenauer May 13th, 2002 12:38 PM

Miami salsa dancing

We're going to South Beach next month and want to know where the good salsa bars are for dancing!

SoBe Leila May 13th, 2002 01:25 PM

MANGO'S!!!! (on Ocean Drive) and Mambo's (near American Airlines Arena)

XXX May 14th, 2002 10:13 AM

"CONGOS" not "mambos"

Roula May 14th, 2002 06:56 PM

I'm interested in Salsa Bars as well. Where is Congo's (or is it Mambo's)? I can't find it on city search. Any feedback on how good these places are, age group of crowd, any cover charge etc.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Roula.

abst14 May 14th, 2002 07:45 PM

or go straight to CAlle Ocho. Remember Miami is predominently Hispanic so most of the dancing everywhere is Salsa....

Roula May 14th, 2002 08:15 PM

Calle Ocho, isn't his the street party that coincides with Carnival every year or do you mean that there are Latin bars and clubs worth visiting on 8th Street.<BR><BR>Roula.

abs14 May 14th, 2002 08:19 PM

actually I don't know because we never go there. It's another country. I'm Cuban so I can saw it....I'm sure in Hialeah, another very Hispanic neighborhood and Calle Ocho, there are places to go dancing. STay on South Beach to be safe.

Roula May 14th, 2002 08:31 PM

Thanks, yeah I am staying in South Beach but I was not sure if there were many Salsa hang out's there. The Latino scene here in Sydney is really taking off so I am eager to get into it in Miami since I imagine it would be more authentic due to the huge numbers of Cuban's and Puerto Rican's.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Roula.

abst May 14th, 2002 08:40 PM

don't say both of those in the same sentence..... we also have folks from Columbia, Venezuela, Guatamala, Honduras, Brazil, Peru, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic...now a days you can hardly tell where anyone is from. There's Latin dancing everywhere, not just Salsa...as long as it's not a "rap" bar you'll probably get Latin dancing.

Roula May 14th, 2002 08:44 PM

Sorry,<BR>I did not mean to offend. I am fully aware of the diverse mix of cultures but it was too long to type all of them.

Dan May 15th, 2002 02:11 PM

Alright here goes: Fist off It is Called "BONGO's" (not congo's or mambo's). It located (In Downtown) Right next to Bayside Marketplace Adjacent/Inside the American Airlines Arena (were the Miami Heat plays). It is A restaurant by day - Club at night. It does play some salsa and regular music too. It is owned by the Estefan's (Gloria and Emilio) and they alo have one in Orlando (in Downtown Disney).<BR>Mango's in South Beach on Ocean Drive is also very good for Salsa and Merengue dancing. <BR>Don't go down to Calle Ocho (8th street) in Little Havana because you aren't going to find any clubs there only retaurants and shops. Hialeah is a residential area and are even less likely to find anywhere to go dancing.<BR>Hope this helps

Roula May 15th, 2002 02:35 PM

Thanks Dan, this all makes alot more sense now. I will definitely check out both Mango's and Congo's.<BR>Cheers,<BR>Roula.

X May 16th, 2002 12:44 PM

BONGO's.......not Congo's!