Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Miami: Joe's or Billy's For Snow Crab Claws???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 03:53 AM
DAVE

I have read several articles/posts both here and on other websites that contrast and compare the benefits of these two places....but haven't seen any that do it directly.....I'm hoping to get a sense of what others think on this message board..Thanks!!

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 03:59 AM
tom

Try posting on Chowhound.com

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Patrick

First of all, they are Stone Crab Claws, not snow crab.
To be perfectly honest the best place to buy Stone Crab Claws is at any fresh fish market. The ones you get at a restaurant are exactly the same -- one claw is removed from the crab when it is taken from the boat. The claws are generally cooked right on the boat, then chilled. The restaurant does nothing to them. You choose the restaurant then according to the atmosphere you want and the price they charge you for the claws, or perhaps for the sides you might want to go with them. I have been to Joe's and didn't understand what the big deal was. Frankly it is a fairly formal place, and it seems totally inappropriate to me to sit there eating those wonderful but very messy crab claws. Sort of like going to a fine restaurant and then getting whole lobster -- which I enjoy more sitting at a picnic table on a wharf, getting messy and enjoying it.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Billy's at all.
But do get here soon, I think the season ends May 1, and Stone Crab claws are a great treat.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:58 AM
DAVE

Patrick - Thanks for the help....I actually do know them as stone crab claws, and just had a brain fart while typing my header....I'll be lucky enuff to be there before May 1, so your information will come in handy, as I'll likely skip Joe's....Thanks again for the help.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 06:08 AM
sue

I too agree with Patrick. The best place to pick them up is at a local seafood market. As I have never heard of Billys, I would choose Joes over them only because of the volume they do so you know you will have very fresh claws.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:27 AM
jfx

I agree with Patrick. Get them at a seafood market. Joes is quite pricey and overrated because of the name and the advertised reputation.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:42 AM
mickey0414

JOE"S

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 06:37 PM
joan

Patrick, right on! And the season ends May 15th, just so folks know. And one more thing: they're best served cold, so just rinse when you get them home from the market, make a sauce of two parts mayonnaise, one part spicy mustard (this can be doctored, but the basics work just fine), and crack open a cold one!

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Patrick

Oh and one more thing. Make sure when you buy them at a store that you have them precracked. The first time I forgot to do this, I tried starting the cracking process by putting a claw on my big chopping block and hitting it squarely with a hammer. The claw remained intact, but my chopping block below it split in two. They aren't called stone crabs for nothing. And Joan, I've never rinsed mine. Wouldn't that make them soggy? Good point about the sauce. I have California relatives who insist on melted butter with them when I serve them -- horrors!!!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 03:16 AM
flanative

If you must eat them at a restaurant go to Joes. But the best way is to get them from a local seafood shop. I also never rinse mine and was told not to by a local fisherman.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 05:20 AM
joan

Patrick, I had to laugh at the image of you slamming down on your cutting board (if it was me I would probably have missed the claw anyway). Anyway, the way I see it, the claws are completely intact inside their shells, (which also makes them an ideal seafood for freezing - I know I'll get flamed on that so I'll let that part go) so this prevents any rinse water from getting inside and making the meat soggy. We buy 'em from the fishermen all the time, I've never heard the "no rinse" before...I do know they don't bother to season the water they way they do with blue crabs, because the flavor doesn't enter inside. I'll ask and let you know what I am told. As far as cracking, here's the way I tell my fish market customers to do it: hold it in the palm of your hand and take the back of a butter knife and crack it all over, kind of like an Easter egg, only slightly more force. This really works. For the knuckles (never waste a knuckle!), you need a nutcracker or pliers, and you have to be careful to *stop* when you get the shell cracked so you don't crush the lump of meat. Mmmm! this is making me hungry! My husband bought some silly cracking devices he gives out to our dine-in customers, which is a big crushing lever that comes down to within an inch of the surface, thereby not crushing the meat, just the shell.

Happy eating! BTW, I'm sure this is more information than Dave ever wanted to know!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:28 AM
DAVE

While it certainly is a lot of information, I want to thank everyone for their help on this inquiry....I can now venture out in Miami with absolutely no stone crab trepidation!! I have read many postings, and given replies to some in my 3 or 4 months of lurking here, but this is the first time I've had a reason to actually ask for help....and its been very helpful! I hope all of you have a great time eating these things next time you're in Miami,,,,and Best Wishes to all....! Dave

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:32 AM
x

Joan, They don't season the water not because the "flavor" would not enter the meat but more so because the flavor and sweetness of the meat is preferred that way. The claw is not a sealed piece and water can enter it. They are cooked when picked from the crab on the boat and the fishermen just deliver the product to the fish house or restaurant and leave it up to them what the want to do with it. If one chooses to have them served warm, the preferred way is to steam them. And many people do this and love it with melted butter. The ideal way is served chill with a mayo/mustard/lime juice dip or just with fresh lemon. They come in different sizes and most people seem to like the mid size. I think they have the best flavor and are the easiest to handle. I wouldn't recommend cracking them until just before service as the deteriorate quickly after that is done.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:34 AM
x

And no, you do not need, nor is it really recommended, to wash or rinse them.