Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Miami International -- still the US equivalent of CDG?

Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for those who have transferred from an international arrival to a domestic departure at Miami International in the past 2-3 years -- how (bad) was your experience? I know Miami has a terrible reputation and my one experience transferring from international to domestic was awful, but it was 7 years ago. I'm wondering if the situation has improved.

Thanks.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 11:38 AM

My experience in CDG is bad, I live in Miami and agree that our airport is very unpleasant.
good luck.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 11:44 AM

It is like get bitten by a dog, even if people tell you the dog is trained now, you know what it is capable of.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Five years ago it was still bad!
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 01:25 PM

Yes MIA gets crowded but I've travelled internationally through MIA at least 8 times in the past 2 years and have had no problems other than on two occasions when we had a long walk from the plane to the Immigration/Customs check point. We usually fly Ameeican Airlines and arrive in Terminal D or E. We are US citizens and for us the Immigration lines move quickly. On many occasion there have been only a few people waiting in line and those times when it was crowded the Immigration officials opened up extra booths. It's never taken us more than 10 minutes to pass through Immigration.

We only travel with carry-on so going through Customs has been a breeze (yes, the lines can be long but again they move quickly). We are usually "out the door" in less than 5 minutes.

Lastly, we learned that when going back through the TSA checkpoint to get to our connecting gate we DO NOT follow the crowd (and the signs) to the Gate Entrance for Terminal D (which gets exceedingly crowded) but rather go upstairs to the Gate entrance to Terminal E where there's rarely a long wait.

we may be the exceptions but I don't find MIA to be all that challenging (except for that "long walk" from the plane to Immigration.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 01:51 PM

We only travel with carry-on so going through Customs has been a breeze

This may be the secret to having a pleasant experience! Last time we flew in from Panama in the early afternoon they were dumping luggage for seven different flights landing at similar times on a single luggage carousel. So finding your bags was a real mess in the overflow as people were simply pulling bags off the belt to provide room for the avalanche of new bags coming in. A real zoo.

Never had a problem of any kind at CDG
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 02:00 PM

Miami is a horrible airport to transfer through. Sorry, it has not gotten any better and I don't think it ever will. Yes, it is the same as CDG.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 02:15 PM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
Hit and miss. It's a bit of a slum, but your experience can vary hugely depending on which airline(s), which terminals, which days, which hours, blah blah.

CDG is in a class of its own IMO.
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:55 PM

Still bad!!

Flew out of CDG 2 months ago - not bad at all - fast and pleasant!!

Miami - last year - the pits - I find they have the rudest personnel as well ....of any airport bar none.