Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Miami - Courtyard Marriott DT or Best Western 41st & Collins/People Mover

Apr 15th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

THis is a re-post with correct title. Ok, here's the scoop... I read some old posts on this subject but am curious if things have changed. Cruising out of Miami-Feb 23, 2007. Having a hard time finding a hotel reasonable that maybe I could fly in earlier on the day before and maybe just walk around a little, maybe do a little shopping, eat etc. something other than sit in a room. The above 2 hotels were recommended, but weren't sure if there is anything around them. THe courtyard is near the people mover? can this be SAFELY taken to Bayside? Is that even worth going to, also interested in Parrot Jungle? THe hotel in South Beach, is it near anything? Again, we're not talking about more than about 8 hours worth. If neither is worth it I'll just fly in late afternoon and stay by the airport. Sorry this is soooo long..

Apr 16th, 2006, 01:59 PM

The people mover is safe - but I don't think I would come to Miami for an extra 8 hours to see Bayside. The Best Western gets terrible reviews on Tripadvisor. Check out Silver Sands on Key Biscayne. It's no frills - but you'll be right on the beach, can walk to restaurants and will have a relaxing transition to the cruise.
Apr 17th, 2006, 06:15 AM
GoTravel

The Hotel in South Beach is gorgeous but not on the beach. The rooftop pool more than makes up for that fact.

The Best Western is in a very busy part of Collins Avenue in Mid Beach and is not within walking distance to anything.

Agree with keymom, I would not go to Miami and stay downtown at the Courtyard. Bayside is a cheesy tourist trap for the cruise customers.

Apr 17th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

THank you both for your advice. I'm afraid that Silver Sands is a little to "low key" for some of our other travelers, for the $. THey are quite high for that time of year. I'm thinking at this point I might just come in on a later flight and stay at the airport hotel. I am just so disappointed with prices and quality. We are spending so much $ on the cruise, I just hate to spend so much on a hotel to sleep. Any other suggestions?
Apr 18th, 2006, 05:22 AM
GoTravel

Your dates are peak season and Miami is an expensive town.

Reasonable/cheap that time of year is $150.

I wouldn't try and fly in the day of the cruise because what if weather screws up your flight?

If the Silver Sands is too 'low brow' for your group the airport hotels are certainly not going to cut it because they make the Silver Sands look like the Mandarin Oriental. Plus, the airport area is so bad I wouldn't send my worst enemy there.

In February, your friends will have to shell out $500-$600 for an luxury hotel.

Dec 1st, 2011, 05:53 PM

This hotel is a nightmare!!! Don't even think about using them because they may charge you for that!!! Here is the (long) story. I really needed a vacation to chill out a bit, and so did my friend. We live in New York, and we were ready to spend money in order to have a great time. We found this hotel that offers ocean front views for their suites with a balcony. We thought that this is the perfect place! A nice suite, in a nice hotel, with a nice ocean front view, and a private balcony to enjoy it! what could we expect more? We made reservations for a full week for the price of $1,200. But not before making it certain, with a representative named Mike, that we will get an ocean front view.
When we finally arrived after a long and exhausting trip we couldn't wait to get to our beautiful suite and fall into our plush beds over looking the beautiful ocean. But boy were we mistaken. When we arrived at the hotel, the lady at the desk casually informed us that she is so sorry, but no ocean front is available. We did not know what to do, so we asked her to show us our suite. She took us to a regular size room that had a door open to another regular room. No kitchenette and no extra amenities. The balcony was as much of a balcony as our suite was a 'suite.' It was approximately two feet deep and the floor was slanted, which made you feel dizzy just standing there. We were so disgusted that we told her that we are going to seek another hotel. We went out and we found a nicer hotel for a lesser price. We came back, took our luggage and signed out. We thought that our nightmare is finally over, but we were wrong. After enjoying a beautiful week in the other hotel, I came back home to find that Best Western charged my card about $200! When I called them to ask what the charge is about, the explained to me with a straight face that it is because my luggage was there for two hours in a room, so I had to pay for one full day! This hotel is worse than a nightmare, nightmares don't charge you money!!!
Dec 1st, 2011, 05:54 PM

This hotel is a nightmare!!! Don't even think about using them because they may charge you for that!!! Here is the (long) story. I really needed a vacation to chill out a bit, and so did my friend. We live in New York, and we were ready to spend money in order to have a great time. We found this hotel that offers ocean front views for their suites with a balcony. We thought that this is the perfect place! A nice suite, in a nice hotel, with a nice ocean front view, and a private balcony to enjoy it! what could we expect more? We made reservations for a full week for the price of $1,200. But not before making it certain, with a representative named Mike, that we will get an ocean front view.
When we finally arrived after a long and exhausting trip we couldn't wait to get to our beautiful suite and fall into our plush beds over looking the beautiful ocean. But boy were we mistaken. When we arrived at the hotel, the lady at the desk casually informed us that she is so sorry, but no ocean front is available. We did not know what to do, so we asked her to show us our suite. She took us to a regular size room that had a door open to another regular room. No kitchenette and no extra amenities. The balcony was as much of a balcony as our suite was a 'suite.' It was approximately two feet deep and the floor was slanted, which made you feel dizzy just standing there. We were so disgusted that we told her that we are going to seek another hotel. We went out and we found a nicer hotel for a lesser price. We came back, took our luggage and signed out. We thought that our nightmare is finally over, but we were wrong. After enjoying a beautiful week in the other hotel, I came back home to find that Best Western charged my card about $200! When I called them to ask what the charge is about, the explained to me with a straight face that it is because my luggage was there for two hours in a room, so I had to pay for one full day! This hotel is worse than a nightmare, nightmares don't charge you money!!!
Dec 1st, 2011, 06:05 PM

You are lucky they didn't charge you for the full week. What they charged you was a one night fee plus tax which is standard cancellation fee. It was not because your suitcases were in the room for 2 hours.

Next time read the terms of your booking. Almost every hotel will charge you one night fee if you do not cancel before a certain time, often 24 hours in advance. Since you did check in, they had every right to charge you for the night.