Miami Beach in April with Family

Old Feb 20th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miami Beach in April with Family

My husband, 4 year old and I decided to fly to Miami Beach for 6 days. We debated going to Disney, however the cost of it is astronomical!

So, when in Miami we plan on visiting:
-The Children's Museum
-Miami Seaquarium
-Zoo Miami

We mainly plan on taking it easy, lounging at the beach and doing a bit of shopping here and there if our son permits it!

Any other must-see for kids?

We rented a condo on ocean drive just south of 5th, it seems like a good area, any experience with this?

Any area we should avoid?
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 02:02 AM

I think you will like this. The beach is gorgeous. The Art Deco district is a bit of a scene at night, but with a 4 year old, you aren't likely to be clubbing.
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 02:13 AM

Sorry. Second part of your question.

Stay away from the area around the airport.

I love Cuban food and Cuban culture and sadly found Calle Ocho not as interesting as I expected.

There is an historic house, Vizcaya, in Coral Gables that is interesting for adults and has plenty of room for kids to run.

There is a spectacular public swimming pool in Coconut Grove that you may want to look into. The city itself is interesting and has good shopping and dining.

But I don't think you will need to leave Miami Beach.
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 06:55 AM

We kind of liked the Fairchild Botanic Gardens in Coral Gables. Interesting if you're into that stuff, plus room for a kid to run around.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 02:56 PM

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features...renting/to-do/

Is a good source of things to do with kids in South Florida. I'm actually having a tough time thinking of places for you...it's been some years since mine were 4!
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 02:58 PM

Thought of somewhere fun!

Jungle Island

http://www.jungleisland.com

On Miami Beach too!
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 01:27 AM

While not in Miami but West Palm Beach area (about 90 minutes) there is a place called Lion Country Safari that your son would love - and is even interesting for adults. Bonus is that it is better on overcast or rainy days - so you might file it for something to do if you get bad weather.

It is a drive-thru animal park (think Jurassic Park) where the animals walk around, often coming right up to cars, in natural-like habitats. In the spring there are often cute baby animals. There is also a walk-around more traditional zoo-like area. Good day trip from Miami. Bring drinks/snacks - once you are in the drive-thru part (which takes a couple of hours) there is no place to stop.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 08:35 AM

Adding to gail's post re: Lion COuntry Safari, they just recently added a nice little water park that works into a nice treat after seeing the animals.
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions! I definetley think that we will go to Jungle island, that looks like so much fun!
We also decided to rent a car and drive to Key Largo / Islamorada for a day trip since they are about 1 1/2 hours away. I found a beach called Anne's Beach in Islamorada which claims to be quite shallow for a long way out. Thought this would be great for my son.
Anyone been there?

Any other day trips you would suggest we look into?

Thanks again!
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 07:57 AM

Vizcaya is not in Coral Gables. But the public pool referred to (the Venetian) is in the Gables, not Coconut Grove. I would maybe add the Miami Science Museum, but it may be duplicative with some of the stuff you will see at the children's museum. With a child that age, bring a bathing suit and towel to both the Seaquarium and Zoo Miami. Both have wet-play areas that are loads of fun. I have been to Anne's BEach many times. It is not a "beach" in the sense most people think of. Yes it is shallow way out but much of that is sea grass, and the sand is very fine consistency in the water so it feels like you walking in mud most of the time. If you are going to Keys for a number of reasons, fine stop at Anne's Beach but don't drive all the way down there just for that. If the weather is not windy and visibility is good you might consider instead going to Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo and maybe taking a glass-bottom-boat tour. Also, they have something called Theater of the Sea down near Islamorada which is a small marine park. Skip this, it is a waste of money if you are going to go the Seaquarium.
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 03:04 PM

Don't take a 4 year to the Venetian Pools. Its very deep and freezing and crowded.

I agree to skip Theater of the Sea and check out Pennekamp when in Key Largo. There are also beaches in the park if you dont want to ride the glass bottom boat.

Also agree to bring water appropriate clothes and a change of dry clothes fot Zoo and Seaquarium. Also remember shoes that can wet.
At the Zoo you can rent a Surrey bike. Get there early and get the bike!! It has a little canopy for shade and a seat for little ones to ride and not pedal. This is a must to get around the Zoo!!! Its a big place and it gets hot!!!!
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 09:57 PM

Miami beaches are completely awesome. I visited last year in the summer and planning the same this year too. Took with you the proper clothes and pair of good shoes. Don't forget to take the ride as well. We enjoyed a lot. Visit us at - http://www.bridesmaidsonly.com.au/
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Got it, will not take my 4 year old to the Venetian Pools.

I love that Idea for the Zoo! My son would love to have a ride on a bike

In terms of renting a car, pick-up will be from the airport (we land around 2pm) then we will drive to the condo we rented which is situated south of 5th on ocean drive. i keep hearing that the airport area is quite sketchy, will we have any issues on that route, or any tips generally?.

Also, is there a Target or Walmart along the way,? I'd like to buy a cheap umbrella stroller for $20 just in case my son will get tired over the week.
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 08:06 AM

You will be fine driving from the airport to the beach. Follow the signs to 836 - that turns into 395 as you pass over downtown Miami. 395 turns into 5th Street once you are on the Beach. 20 minutes max.

There are no Targets or Walmarts directly on the way. The closest Target is in Midtown Miami (follow the signs from the airport to 112 east and that will take you to 195, there is an exit off 195 into Midtown on 36th Street that has a Target and a ton of other shops and restaurants. Sugarcane is a very popular tapas place in the complex. http://www.shopmidtownmiami.com/

I'm not sure where the closest Walmart can be found.

I think the larger CVS or Walgreens stores may carry inexpensive umbrella strollers. You could google search the near your condo and call and skip Target altogether.
There is a big box shopping complex on 5th and Alton on Miami Beach. Maybe somewhere in there has a stroller....http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-shops-at...on-miami-beach
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 08:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just be prepared for traffic downtown if you arrive in the morning of a weekend.
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

OK I will likely check a CVS.

Quick question about the car rental centre at the airport….can i stay inside the airport and walk to the rental counter, or do we have to be shuttled there? Are the car rental centres still on the airport grounds?
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 05:09 AM

I'm not 100% sure - I was at the airport this past weekend and noticed some changes on car rentals.....

http://www.miami-airport.com/cip_mia_mover.asp

I think its offsite and you take a metrorail type people mover from the 3rd lever at the airport to get your car at a rental center garage.