Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Miami ..and Key West? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/miami-and-key-west-1644620/)

sassy_cat Jan 5th, 2018 02:17 AM

Miami ..and Key West?

Flights are booked for Miami at the end of Feb and we are thinking of spending our final 3 nights in the Keys.

Has Key West recovered? The hotel I'm looking at is on Front Street, The Hyatt Centric so if anyone know it (it's new..) or the area please chime in.

This will hopefully be a very low key (excuse me) relaxing time. So any suggestions for restaurants appreciated too. We don't want loud and trendy, more into the view, and would like peace and quiet so will eat early if there's more chance of fewer crowds. Picnic in our room if that is a better a option!

Suggestions for an alternative place on the Keys or elsewhere for the last 3 nights also considered. We have been to Sanibel and might want consider this as an option.

Thanks!

Ackislander Jan 5th, 2018 04:18 AM

Nantucket friends just got back from a Christmas/New Year week in the Keys. Two adults, college age daughter, hs senior son.

They rented a house in Marathon and made two day trips to Key West. They did beaches, snorkeling, multiple charter fishing trips, recreational sailing (schooner), eating out. They are very boat oriented. They did not do a glass bottom boat, nor did they explore the arts district or the cottage district (if those aren't the same thing). That area and the Truman White House are my favorite things in KW.

The mom remarked how much nicer (less tacky) and cleaner KW was than on her last trip. College girl shopped, mom not so much.

Why Marathon? Because they liked the idea of being able to go easily to both ends of the Keys from the middle. It worked for them.

sludick Jan 5th, 2018 04:52 AM

Some businesses have recovered, but there is quite a bit of work left. My son in law's hotel won't reopen until July. I suggest you call the Hyatt Centric and speak to them directly.

Dukey1 Jan 5th, 2018 05:50 AM

The Hyatt Centric, location-wise, is about as "in" Old Town as you can get.

Macross Jan 5th, 2018 06:03 AM

They are doing better than Marathon. Enjoy KW.

sassy_cat Jan 5th, 2018 10:22 AM

Thanks everyone!
It sounds mostly good so I have booked the Hyatt.
The rates for Presidents week are unsurprisingly very high (we will be there the following weekend) so I'm assuming everything is ship shape but will call the hotel and confirm.

Ackislander, I think I'd rather stay in Key West but we will take our time on the journey down and back to explore the Keys.
I'm thinking a lunch stop on the way down. Need a view or at least a beach..
and something similar but different location on the way back.
More research to do.

garyt22 Jan 6th, 2018 04:50 AM

Islamorada is a great lunch stop... several choices, but we stopped at the Islamorada Seafood company...

sassy_cat Jan 8th, 2018 11:04 AM

Thanks garyt22, I will check it out.

Surfergirl Jan 8th, 2018 03:15 PM

My friend lives in Key West (well, Geiger Key) and reports everything is A-OK. My cousins are in Key West right now, and all is fine, although it was pretty cold (for Key West) a few days ago.

sassy_cat Jan 9th, 2018 01:24 AM

Thanks for the update, Surfergirl. I'm hoping it will have warmed up a bit by the end of February!