Restaurant suggestions VNP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (family of 5) are doing a day trip to the Big Island to visit VNP. Landing at Hilo, renting a van and driving to VNP. Will be there during lunch and dinner times. Any restaurant recommendations? Thanks.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 08:37 AM

The only food available inside the park itself is at the Volcano House. There is a buffett and also I think hamburgers and hot dogs. This is located across from the visitor's center and if you walk through to the back of the Volcano House there is a wonderful overlook of the crater.
http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/wheretoeat.htm

Just outside the park in Volcano Village are several places. There is a really good Thai restaurant, called Thai Thai right next to the hardware store. Also, just across from the Thai restaurant is a small market, Kilauea General Store and right next to it is the Lava Rock Cafe. We also like Keawe Kitchen. Remember things move slower around here and budget enough time to eat accordingly. Here is a link to a map with locations marked on it.
http://volcanovillage.com/Volcano_Vi...nal01_8x11.jpg

There are many places to eat in Hilo, our favorite being Cafe Pesto on the Hilo Bayfront.

Have a great time, the volcano is awesome.

Old Nov 4th, 2008, 08:41 AM

Dang, Gloria stole my thunder! I was also going to suggest a simple lunch at Volcano House inside the park, and Thai Thai (assuming your kids will eat Thai) on your way back to Hilo.

If they're not fans of Thai, I believe there are two other restaurants -- Kilauea Lodge and Lava Rock -- close to the park as well.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 02:06 PM

We had dinner at Kilauea Lodge and loved it. The food and service were very good (I think the menu changes nightly) and the restaurant had a very warm, relaxed feel to it.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 02:58 PM

The Kilauea Lodge Restaurant is really quite special.

http://www.kilauealodge.com/

Here's a link to their website. You can check out tonight's menu. It is expensive, and as a family you may want something more casual, but it's family friendly. Their dining room has a cozy fireplace. Food is unusual and flavorful.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 04:57 AM

Here's another thought - How about a picnic lunch as you hike the Kilauea Iki trail? This is a fantastic hike, about 3 miles long, starting in rain forest, suddenly descending into a volcanic crater and across it, then back up through rainforest, visiting Thurston lava tube on the way out.