MetroCard in NYC; Charlie Card in Boston

Jul 11th, 2008, 11:15 AM
yk
Original Poster

MetroCard in NYC; Charlie Card in Boston

1) I know that more than 1 person can use one MetroCard at the same time, but does anyone know if the 2-hr free transfer will work?

For example, 2 of us use 1 Metrocard for subway ride. If we need to transfer to a bus within 2 hours, will the Metrocard show 2 free transfers?

2) One of the Boston MBTA employees told me that more than 1 person can use ONE plastic Charlie Card together. Has anyone actually done this and can verify it? My parents will be visiting Boston next week and I have got one plastic Charlie Card for both of them. Also, will the free transfer work if both of them use the same Charlie Card?
Jul 11th, 2008, 11:28 AM

For NYC Metrocard, we always use one card. On the bus, just check the display next to where you insert the card - it takes a few seconds, to verify whether the transfer was free or not. You will also see the balance remaining on the card. You do have to wait and not be tempted to move along because there are people behind you wanting to get on.

We use the buses, and often stop for coffee, etc., between transfers. Usually, the transfer is free, but once in a great while it hasn't been - not sure why because we were well within the two hours and the transfer was direct.

We've always used one Charlie card in Boston as well. No problems.

With these cards, you're paying per ride, not per person, so you can share the cards.
Jul 11th, 2008, 11:37 AM

1) The 2 hour transfer will work for the 2 of you. It will say "2 Xfers" on the display when you dip the card in the bus console. I just did this this morning!
Jul 11th, 2008, 12:11 PM

Just remember that when 2 people have used the same card, together, the transfers are together.
If you think that you might split up occasionally,and each wants to transfer to a different bus it's better to have 2 separate cards